The new best headlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Of course it depends what you mean by "best". I've tried just about all the Ebay ones and the ones from Banggood. This one is outstanding. The first thing is how small it is - about 25mm diameter and maybe 50mm long. It has the jack that matches the 4-cell lithium packs, so if you already have one of those, it's going to be really cheap at about £10.

It has two buttons on the back that glow in the dark. The left one works a ring of blue around the rim. You can have it flashing or permanently on. The right button works the main single LED. It has three levels plus flashing. Level 1 is enough to light an unlit cyclepath so that you can see every pothole. Level 3 is just unbelievable. How can so much light come out of something so tiny?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3000LM-CREE-XM-L2-LED-Front-Bike-Lamp-Bicycle-Light-HeadLamp-Torch-6-Modes-G-/161889168295?hash=item25b158aba7:g:v8wAAOSwZVhWRTJW

Battery if you don't have one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-18650-Lithium-Battery-Pack-4400mAh-8-4V-LED-Bike-Light-Headlamp-V5A5-/162007099875?hash=item25b86029e3:g:T5oAAOSwPc9W19t1

Charger:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3-Pin-plug-8-4V-1A-charger-adapter-for-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Li-ion-LiPo-2S-/191251047340?hash=item2c877363ac:g:EUUAAMXQrC9Scg4z

Complete set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-Hunting-3000LM-CREE-XM-L2-LED-Cycling-Headlight-Bike-Bicycle-Head-Lamp-/151886495410?hash=item235d23feb2:g:O9wAAOSwIwhWSfgH

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Is it really that bright or is it because its focussed that it look bright?

Too bad it can't accept 48v or 72v battery directly

• Offensive Language
Reactions: los monty
D

Deleted member 4366

Is it really that bright or is it because its focussed that it look bright?

Too bad it can't accept 48v or 72v battery directly
It gives a very nice spread of light, which is perfect for seeing everything that you need to. I can't see that anybody would need any more on a bicycle - even a fast one. Apart from it's brightness, the best thing about it is how cool it looks, especially when you run with just the blue ring in the daytime/dusk.

Sure, there's brighter lights, but why would you want any more? You could use one of those double ones, but then half the light would be wasted because you don't need it. That would run down your battery twice as fast for no practical gain. This one is just so small, neat and cool, and it doesn't make your bicycle look like a motorbike - and best of all, only £10 (£16 with battery and charger)!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm currently using this one on my bike:
http://www.banggood.com/U2-15W-LED-Chip-Motorcycle-Headlight-Motor-Lamps-Hi-Lo-Beam-p-936965.html

It is decently bright but unfortunately not enough when the road doesn't have any light.

Typically, when I go home later than 10pm, some area don't have any street light. This bike light doesn't have a good enough spread and isn't bright enough to show upcoming potholes.

I'm looking for something a bit safer for the road, maybe put few light allowing to see both close and distance potholes as well as car/people in front of me.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
The only negative about most of these lights is that rubber bungy strap holding them on, i have it on mine and it always moves about. Isn`t there a proper bracket thing we can tighten down properly with a screwdriver?

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Thanks d8veh, ordered mine a complete kit.

Will wait for delivery, I can't complain at £ 16, it will be here for the darker nights.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Good find D8ve.

Steve, d8veh has mentioned some very key aspects of buying a light that I would agree with.

Brightness certainly doesn't mean best, and spread of beam is more important than spot. Cost also doesn't mean best.

For off road use, I personally don't like the spot beam of the Ebay cree lights, as they don't define enough outer edge/ peripheral view, and tend to make an unnecessarily large shadow over objects on the ground. I also don't like the bright white light beam, particularly when in contrast with the more yellow light that the Fenix produces. I've tried many cree lights over the last few years, but obviously not the one that d8veh has linked to, so cannot comment on it, but on the face of it cannot see any negatives with it.

Although in a completely different price bracket, I'd never give up my Fenix BT20, and if anything were to happen to it, I'd replace it straight away with another. Through the winter months, I ride three to four nights a week off road, and the Fenix battery pack has long since been discarded in favour of the cheapo six cell Ebay battery packs, which 'almost' give an evening of riding use, backed up by a four cell pack.

You have nothing to loose by buying one the lights that d8ve has linked to, and I will be doing the same, as at that price it would make a good back up light. If you intend this to be your sole light which I think would be a mistake, I would suggest opting for a second six or eight cell battery pack to accompany the four cell pack
The appeal for me with this light is that the current one cree offering measures 42mm x 54mm, so if Dave is correct and it does measure 25mm x 50mm, then that makes it a very practical and proportionally small light, possibly even for headlamp use, which is something that I am currently against using on grounds of safety.

edit.. One purchased and will review in an off road situation when it arrives.

Steve, this is how my current crop of cree lights perform, although the first two clips are misleading, as the red tail light is throwing the camera sensor and making the lights appear darker than they actually are.

One Cree.

Two single Cree lights.

Four Cree.

Four Cree plus one Cree.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The only negative about most of these lights is that rubber bungy strap holding them on, i have it on mine and it always moves about. Isn`t there a proper bracket thing we can tighten down properly with a screwdriver?
Proper brackets do exist which clamp the light nicely onto the handlebars and prevent the beam aim being nudged off target. I bought mine of ebay years ago. At the time they made nice anodised aluminium ones on different colours. They cost more than this light, but worth it I think.

Reactions: tommie

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Try a band of "Gorilla Tape" around the handlebar where you intend to fit the light - this gives a grippy surface rather than a chrome or polished paint surface. Then use cable ties to anchor the fitting on as tight as you can make them - should give a secure fixing especially for something as light as that light

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ and tommie

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Steve, annoyingly I couldn't add any more clips to my above reply as the limit was reached, but putting the quality of the Fenix BT20 into some kind of perspective as a main use light, here are two clips of the same short section of bridleway, ridden both in the daytime and at night time.
As you can see, the top speed is pretty much identical, which must in some small part, be down to the quality and beam of the torch. Having said that, I really love night riding. Clip length cannot be compared, as the start point is different, and I took a different route between clips at the final section.

Note the deer bolting across at the 36 second point. The damn things are a real nuisance in respect of night riding around here. It isn't unusual to have them bolt across two or three times on any particular given night ride. I also had one just about hit the front of the bike one night.

As you can see, the single Fenix BT20 is roughly equivalent to the four Cree light in respect of beam distance and spread, but the light is far softer, and doesn't have the horrid bright white spot section that is often distracting in an off road situation. I prefer a balanced spread and softer light.

When the light that Dave has recommended has arrived, I'll take it down the same bridleway and film the result for you, in order that you can see a direct comparison. I'll try to start at the same point as in the above night time ridden clip.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Eddie thanks for all the clips of the lights and I see what you mean about the fenix it Looks like a fab light, I may just order the one that d8veh said about.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its got 9 more leds in it will prob eat the batt tho

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Tommie;

If I knew how to do it I would show a link to my Cree light the one with the adjustable spread beam from 360 digital2011 which I fasten to my handlebars with a Jubilee Clip. Get a Jubilee clip that is bigger than the handlebar diameter. Put it on the handlebars and tighten it until you can just about get a finger underneath it. Put a marker pen mark at the half way point and split the 'band' at this point either in situ or by taking it off. At the two ends thus created 'broach' a square hole in the ends. These holes go over the lugs that the rubber band goes over. Tighten the 'clip' so that the light does not move and the light adjuster button can be pressed without moving the light. Position the light first so that you will not dazzle oncoming traffic. Put some hard setting material over the Jubilee Clip screw head to help prevent removal and away you go, happy night time cycling.

Yours sincerely

Linfitter.

That is how I originally did it but continually removing and tightening the Jubilee Clip caused failure of the Bicycle Light lugs and I had to shear them off and replace them with self- tapping screws. This was much better and had the advantage of when splitting the Jubilee Clip just a simple drill hole is needed at the ends. A bit of old inner tube is also handy to aid grip on the handlebars. The light has been a permanent fixture on my bike for the last two years or so and has suffered all the vibrations from the road potholes, falling off its stand and a few somersaults and hasn't moved as much as a thou.

Once again

Yours sincerely.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tommie and VictoryV

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there crap in a line as they just dont throw the light far enough for me anyway.