The price of things....

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
..just had a new drivechain fitted...front chainring £34.99..smaller front chainring..£16.99...chain..£39.99...labour..£15..fitted the cassette myself....bit pissed paying 40 notes for a chain.....oh well..one must do these things I suppose...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
..just had a new drivechain fitted...front chainring £34.99..smaller front chainring..£16.99...chain..£39.99...labour..£15..fitted the cassette myself....bit pissed paying 40 notes for a chain.....oh well..one must do these things I suppose...
Definate encouragement to learn how to do these things oneself

• Agree
Reactions: Paul smith and D C

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my sram 11spd chain is only 18.99 and the hollow pin version is 30.99

sram 12 spd chain is 44.99- 57.99

if i had to keep taking my bike to the shop it would end up costing a fortune so just do it all my self.

evens cycles charge £1 a minute so new tyre and no tubes and fitted was going to cost just over 100 quid so fook that ;)

Reactions: Paul smith

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Try Bike.discount.de freight is high but part prices are excellent and they have huge range.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Definate encouragement to learn how to do these things oneself
..totally agree gubbins...that was my plan but as I had already wasted £30 on a chain that was too small..and I wasn,t sure of the size of the front sprockets..you gotto measure bolt diameter or some such..so to remove any doubt local bike shop geezer it was...but yes..i,ve kept all the packaging so I know what to get next time an I will deffo be doing it myself.............or me mtb mate will.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
..totally agree gubbins...that was my plan but as I had already wasted £30 on a chain that was too small..and I wasn,t sure of the size of the front sprockets..you gotto measure bolt diameter or some such..so to remove any doubt local bike shop geezer it was...but yes..i,ve kept all the packaging so I know what to get next time an I will deffo be doing it myself.............or me mtb mate will.
Sorry but I am chuckling away here...
I find that all the well meaning experts on here make all these jobs seem so easy.. which they probably are... but that's assuming you know what your doing..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0668_01.JPG
thats what you call a tad to short ;) if in doubt count the links from the old chain first ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Which also leads to the saying that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

NO?
Well here's one..
After a good wash down my rear brake became ineffective and very very noisy. A long fast downhill run only using the rear got it smoking hot and cured it.. Until I washed it again and now its back.. ineffective and so noisy its embarrassing.. Old ladies feint and children burst into tears when I pass them!
So what have I done wrong?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
use a damp cloth and dry it off b4 you go riding ;)

try mixing avid brakes with hope disc rotors :mad:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
NO?
Well here's one..
After a good wash down my rear brake became ineffective and very very noisy. A long fast downhill run only using the rear got it smoking hot and cured it.. Until I washed it again and now its back.. ineffective and so noisy its embarrassing.. Old ladies feint and children burst into tears when I pass them!
So what have I done wrong?
You have probably done nothing wrong. :)

I'm guessing that you are using sintered pads.

They lack initial braking power which is exaggerated when the pads are cold/wet/fresh, and are also much louder.

Perhaps try swapping to resin pads and see how you get on.