theft of electric bikes

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I read this article & thought that what was not mentioned was the most important - how to secure your bike against theft.

https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/crime/chichester-community-nurse-left-tears-after-electric-bike-stolen-broad-daylight-3073453

I use both physical & psychological methods to prevent having a long walk home & a hole in my wallet.

As a minimum a gold standard lock & remove the battery - if you are going to the supermarket you can always bring the trolley to the bike to carry the battery

Then make the bike look awful - I never wash mine, except those parts that need it, plus add a few wires with the ends clipped off & exposed at various places held in place with ties & tape

With the battery missing any purchaser can not see if the motor works so the value is just the bike

With the bike looking tatty its going to take time to smarten it up before it can be sold

So the next bike is going to look a better target

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then make the bike look awful - I never wash mine, except those parts that need it, plus add a few wires with the ends clipped off & exposed at various places held in place with ties & tape

With the bike looking tatty its going to take time to smarten it up before it can be sold

So the next bike is going to look a better target
Yes, that is the best way to protect against theft. The Dutch who almost all cycle have an immense cycle theft problem, so when they buy a new bike they often go to extremes to make it look worthless. A common tactic is to amateurishly hand brush paint with house paint it in a couple of mismatching colours to make it look old. Then they add their old saddle, worn and scruffy pannier bags and old rubber handgrips, then never wash it, generally making it look a mess that no-one would love. But of course they still enjoy a bike that rides like new.

Otherwise the greatest safeguard is never to repeat park for hours, same place, same time, same days, and that is surprisingly effective. In all my many cycling years I've never had a bike or bike part stolen despite being in the national hot spot for bike theft, London, yet I've never owned a decent lock, just one thin cheap cable lock. Yet many of my bikes were new and very clean and included three different e-bikes.

My parking was usually only while shopping for up to 30 minutes at a time, mainly for groceries and too random for anyone to predict time or place. On one occasion at a Sainsburys I'd left the lock off the bike and had no way of locking, so I took a bungee cord from the carrier, wound it round the crossbar and bike stand a few times and hooked the two ends together. Even that worked to protect it!

Reactions: TedG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I agree with a commute hack or about town hack where it is often left locked up to leave it looking like an uncared tatty bike. But that doesn't mean it isn't in tip top mechanical/working condition. Any bike thief who knows their stuff will recognise good quality parts so they will not be put off, but your average tow rag who knows less may ignore it for another.
Make it harder for theft, two locks attached to something solid remove battery and take it with you. Leave the bike uncleaned.

Expensive posh ebikes are for riding and not leaving, one needs a cheap crappy looking second hack for commute and shopping though kept in good working order.

• Agree
Reactions: RossG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That ladies bike was an ideal target in an easy saleable immaculate condition.
I feel for her as 2k is a good whack of money to spend on a bike whether up front or on a salary sacrifice scheme that is her main transport for carrying out the essential/important work she does in the local community.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TedG

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Up to now, some good points, but what about an alarm?
And someone here mentioned that he uses TWO alarms. Which I find very good, though I still have only one alarrm and two good bike locks, one front and one back of course, both going to stanchions or similar.
I can only say that I have not lost a bike up to now....bit if I did, I would be devatstated...just like the nurse.
Andy

Reactions: Mark *

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Up to now, some good points, but what about an alarm?
I've found them useless. I did fit a 110 dB one on one of my bikes:

But with it's fiddly controls I set it off accidentally outside the supermarket. It took me a while struggling to silence it, meanwhile all the hordes of shoppers took absolutely no notice of the racket, most not even bothering to look.

It's the same with car alarms, they sound off for ages while being ignored or merely being cursed.

The general rule with the public these days is "It's none of my business".

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Now that it is public and in the local news/media hopefully it will be too hard to sell and the toe rag will leave it somewhere to be found and returned, or someone with a conscience who knows will dob them in. Maybe a bit of guilt and a sorry note might be left, it is Christmas after all.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

But with it's fiddly controls I set it off accidentally outside the supermarket. It took me a while struggling to silence it, meanwhile all the hordes of shoppers took absolutely no notice of the racket, most not even bothering to look.

It's the same with car alarms, they sound off for ages while being ignored or merely being cursed.

That was partly the fault of the alarm you had I feel, if it was "fiddly" to use.
Mine has a remote control, and is super simple to switch on and off. Furthermore, it is also a rear red light with several programs, and it fits snugly under a saddle, protecting it from wet weather, and making it even harder to detect for a thief.
And in this day and age, its job is to cause the thief to "wet his pants" and alert you! Why would you expect today that any member of the public put himself into a dangerous situation, to be interested in your bike, with car alarms going off each and every day?
That train left the station years ago!
But the usage of two quality bike locks as well, gives you better than a sporting chance, plus, with the right "bits", some insurance companies will give you a better deal as well....
You appear to have shut your mind to any alarm, that IMHO is a huge mistake, if your bike is valuable to you.
Of course nothing is 100%, but we should all, if we value our steeds, be prepared to make it as difficult as possible for thieves, and a good alarm or alarms, should be part of the kit.
Many bikers use poor quality bike locks, on expensive bikes, you can see that on police TV programs where the thieves simply "rack" the bike back and forth, two or three times, till the lock breaks......Duuhhh!
But each must decide for himself what level of safety to go to.....and what he or she is prepared to pay for better quality of security.
I wish you well in your endeavours.
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: Mark * and RossG

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
That was partly the fault of the alarm you had I feel, if it was "fiddly" to use.
Mine has a remote control, and is super simple to switch on and off. Furthermore, it is also a rear red light with several programs, and it fits snugly under a saddle, protecting it from wet weather, and making it even harder to detect for a thief.
And in this day and age, its job is to cause the thief to "wet his pants" and alert you! Why would you expect today that any member of the public put himself into a dangerous situation, to be interested in your bike, with car alarms going off each and every day?
That train left the station years ago!
But the usage of two quality bike locks as well, gives you better than a sporting chance, plus, with the right "bits", some insurance companies will give you a better deal as well....
You appear to have shut your mind to any alarm, that IMHO is a huge mistake, if your bike is valuable to you.
Of course nothing is 100%, but we should all, if we value our steeds, be prepared to make it as difficult as possible for thieves, and a good alarm or alarms, should be part of the kit.
Many bikers use poor quality bike locks, on expensive bikes, you can see that on police TV programs where the thieves simply "rack" the bike back and forth, two or three times, till the lock breaks......Duuhhh!
But each must decide for himself what level of safety to go to.....and what he or she is prepared to pay for better quality of security.
I wish you well in your endeavours.
Andy
If you're in a building and your bike is alarmed just outside , hopefully chances are you hear it and can at least dash out to check it, provided not too many false set offs.
What alarm do you use yourself, Andy?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
If you're in a building and your bike is alarmed just outside , hopefully chances are you hear it and can at least dash out to check it, provided not too many false set offs.
What alarm do you use yourself, Andy?
Though I actually paid less than this one is.
Furthermore, I bought a very cheap extra remote for about 4 UK ponds, that "learns" the signals, so I now have two remote controls....
Furthermore, I have been thinking further on the problems of thievery, to whit:-
A GPS tracker is a relatively cheap and easy to fit extra, that helps you find your bike (with the aid of the local Bobbies), by telling you down to a few meters, where your bike now is!
As an extra to the GPS tracker, some come with a relay remote control feature (to cut out a fuel pump on cars and other vehicles), which could be wired into the motor power very easily, to do trwo things:-
1) remove power from the motor
2) activate "Dynamic Braking", which is to basically apply a short across the 3 motor leads (2 on the very old DC motors), to cause dynamic braking of the bike motor, which would make it VERY HEAVY going for anyone trying to ride the bike after you have removed power.
Probably making riding completely impossible! A very simple and easy to apply "fix!". If you have any understanding of how dynamic braking works on any AC or DC motor!
Regards
Andy

Reactions: PP100

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield

I did fit an alarm to my Cube plus a decent chain. The thief cropped the chain and rode of with the alarm sounding. I was 20 ft away sat in a cafe but there was no way I could catch up to him even without a motor. No doubt he went round a corner and kicked the alarm off. So, by the time you hear the alarm your bike is on it’s way. The thief couldn’t care less.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
My mate gave me a kryptonite chain lock for free (sold secure gold), I already had a couple of secure gold u locks so I use one of them and the chain lock, a Vodafone GPS tracker, a £12 alarm from Amazon I leave the battery on though... should I remove it?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I did fit an alarm to my Cube plus a decent chain. The thief cropped the chain and rode of with the alarm sounding. I was 20 ft away sat in a cafe but there was no way I could catch up to him even without a motor. No doubt he went round a corner and kicked the alarm off. So, by the time you hear the alarm your bike is on it’s way. The thief couldn’t care less.
If a thief can cut a chain that quickly/easily, there is your case for two quality locks.
And if I myself, if I had experienced my bike being stolen, primarily because my security was so poor, the last place I would admit to that would be on Pedelec or similar, as it would tend to make me look very naive....
My alarm is very sensitive, and if parked outside my house, occasionally strong gusts will cause it to sound, but it only makes a short loud beep, and it resets itself, if the vibration stops. But if it vibrates for longer than a second or two, as it would with chain cutting, then it goes into continuous mode of 110dB. LOUD!!
Someone here on Pedelec also uses 2 separate alarms, which sounds like a good idea if you want good security!
Good moves in better security are at least the following actions:-
1) two quality bike locks, front and rear wheels to frame and to a strongpoint fixed to the ground, on at least one.
2) at least one sensitive alarm with a remote control, two different ones are probably better, ones that are less than easy to "see"!
3) A GPS tracker, that is charged via the bike's electrics, and cannot be otherwise seen. There are some available now in front or rear light fixtures, or DIY it.
These GPS trackers can be set up to send a silent alarm signal to your mobile phone if vibrated. The sensitivity you adjust yourself via your mobile, and an app if you wish, though you only need to send SMS messages (Texting, and to receive them)!
Also, there is a Fence mode, you can set up a "ring" arouund your bike, you pick the size, and if that ring is crossed, another alarm sounds. That is good for when say a friend wants to borrow your bike, to "nip down to the shops", and you want to know if he goes further, for example....
The accuracy of the one I use is such that you can get an indication of within a few meters of its position on the google maps with an app.....
For example, when I was testing them some years ago, by placing it in a car that I was also driving, the display showed WHICH LANE THE CAR WAS IN on the motorway and when it crossed from one lane to the next!!
There are other possibly useful features that I have neglected to mention as well.....
I think at the end of the day, it comes down to how much anyone wants to retain their bike (property), and how much they want to invest to protect it. Of the few people I know who have had a bike stolen, none had good security, or proper locks, or an alarm or a GPS. Thieves seem to see that from a long way off, and go where the stealing is easy!
regards
Andy

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
The only safe method is not to leave any bike unattended if you would be unhappy to lose it. The same battery tech that makes our ebikes so wonderful also makes for very capable and affordable battery powered power tools, and even the toughest shackle presents only a few seconds work for a battery grinder with a diamond disc.

I ride mine to the shops, but its never out of either sight or earshot (the one advangtage we have is that grinders and cutters make a racket), and thats the only way to ensure its there when you have paid for your Bensons, a copy of Razzle and a box of Kleenex.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
The only safe method is not to leave any bike unattended if you would be unhappy to lose it. The same battery tech that makes our ebikes so wonderful also makes for very capable and affordable battery powered power tools, and even the toughest shackle presents only a few seconds work for a battery grinder with a diamond disc.

I ride mine to the shops, but its never out of either sight or earshot (the one advangtage we have is that grinders and cutters make a racket), and thats the only way to ensure its there when you have paid for your Bensons, a copy of Razzle and a box of Kleenex.
You forgot king size rizlas.

• :D
Reactions: Gringo

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I have one of the "anti theft tail lights" mentioned above by Andy-Mat, works well and cheap. I also have a cable lock, again with a motion sensor and alarm which also works as expected. I know neither are going to stop a determined thief but all I want to do is make my bike less attractive than the one next to it. I also have a GPS tracker with a sim card hidden on the bike which I can use for location and also show routes taken over a short period of time. The GPS tracker has an app for location. It said "GPS tracking for 60p a month". In practice it costs me nearer £3 but still less than the price of a pint so I'm a happy bunny.

I know they will find the tracker and there are plenty of devices out there to mask the signal but I figure they won't be doing that until they "Get it home" so it gives me a good starting point.

TTFN
John.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
These trackers are all fine in principle but I read of people who trace their stolen bikes to addresses and the cops don't want to know so you are faced with the prospect of confrontation with the perpetrators or their associates who can deny everything. Maybe sometimes you can shame or threaten an individual in handing it back over.
Has anyone successfully got the authorities involved?

Reactions: Charliefox

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have one of the "anti theft tail lights" mentioned above by Andy-Mat, works well and cheap. I also have a cable lock, again with a motion sensor and alarm which also works as expected. I know neither are going to stop a determined thief but all I want to do is make my bike less attractive than the one next to it. I also have a GPS tracker with a sim card hidden on the bike which I can use for location and also show routes taken over a short period of time. The GPS tracker has an app for location. It said "GPS tracking for 60p a month". In practice it costs me nearer £3 but still less than the price of a pint so I'm a happy bunny.

I know they will find the tracker and there are plenty of devices out there to mask the signal but I figure they won't be doing that until they "Get it home" so it gives me a good starting point.

TTFN
John.
All good common sense in my book!
Andy

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I have the very same alarm as andy, doubles as a rear light too. I set mine off once by mistake and had people running out of a shop to see what the racket was about. Highly recommended is the term I'd use.

Reactions: snafu and Andy-Mat

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
My bike is probably really cheap compared to most owned by the good folk on here, at 700 quid, but i have never left it unattended.
I always thought it would be gone within 15 mins, i actually came across an article on the highest incidences of cycle theft in my city and the top 2 areas were my main stomping grounds.
It's a shame as it would be great to lock my bike up and go grab a bit of shopping as it is i have a few stores who don't mind me wheeling my bike in, and 2 family members who let me leave my bike in the hallway make the 10 minute walk into town and come back with my shop n scoot home with it on my beloved Gertrude

Reactions: Andy-Mat and flecc