Theresa May,the Dictator...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Theresa May has confirmed she will now rule Britain as a dictator, after lawyers gave her exactly the same legal opinion that she paid them to provide.

The Prime Minister said: “I have always believed that parliament doesn’t need to be consulted when making the most significant constitutional change in the history of our democracy, and finally I’ve found some lawyers willing to reach precisely the legal conclusions I want in exchange for money.”

“I am immensely proud to be the first female dictator to rule this once great country.”

KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Theresa May has confirmed she will now rule Britain as a dictator, after lawyers gave her exactly the same legal opinion that she paid them to provide.

The Prime Minister said: “I have always believed that parliament doesn’t need to be consulted when making the most significant constitutional change in the history of our democracy, and finally I’ve found some lawyers willing to reach precisely the legal conclusions I want in exchange for money.”

“I am immensely proud to be the first female dictator to rule this once great country.”

KudosDave
Only one disagreement Dave, she's the second female dictator to rule this country.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
May is a pragmatist.
If she were to propose a discussion in parliament about article 50 before the government is ready to activate it, she would attract troubles from the brexiters for nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Flecc...May seems to be taking a strange stance.
She has basically said that control of immigration is top of her priority list and she doesnt care whether our economy falls apart to achieve that. She knows if we lose the banking EU passport she will lose the City of London as the hub of world finance trading,but says she doesnt care....I bet Hammond would care if 30% of his tax take was affected.
Yet in another breath she says that we must retain access to the single market,no red lines there.
It may of course just be a negotiating ploy to suggest that trading with the EU is not that important,if you suggest that you are possibly in a better negotiating position than if you suggest that you are desperate to keep it.
I read a report that the EU is an impossible position trying to do free trade deals with China and the USA because the EU has so much to lose if those countries were able to ship tariif free into the EU.
But the report (www.bruges.com) suggests that a free trade deal between the UK and China and the UK and the USA would be much easier because we already accept a lot of product from those countries and actually not much goes the other way. This would be a wonderful position for the UK if we were to be able to ship tariff free into the EU....putting tariffs on us would be difficult because we would respond with tariffs on every BMW,Audi and Mercedes that shipped out of Germany,but those cars are now being assembled in China,could we ship tariff free from China.
If this is in Theresa Mays mind it would be a very clever position but I dont think we will get away with it.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

KudosDave
You forgot to quote your source:

http://www.newscrasher.com/2016/08/29/theresa-may-can-rule-britain-as-a-dictator-theresa-may-has-confirmed/

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If this is in Theresa Mays mind it would be a very clever position but I dont think we will get away with it.
KudosDave
Indeed Dave, the EU authorities will never be foolish enough to fall into such a trap.

No doubt Theresa May is bluffing and so are the EU, but regardless there can only be one of two outcomes. Either we will be trading favourably with the EU and accepting much of their laws, or we and them will be disadvantaged by tariff structures and excessive bureaucracy.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Like her role model she is playing a dangerous game. But these have become dangerous times, look across the Atlantic.

I got a chuckle from the US reaction to the EU demand on Apples taxes. They aren't defending Apple they want that money to go back to the USA not to Ireland's tax department of course.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
May is running out of allies before the Brexit war has even started....she has told the Scots they are not to be part of Brexit negotiations,she has told parliament that she doesn't need them and can ignore them,she has told the EU that she doesn't care about trading with Europe,she has told the City of London that she doesn't care about Londons position as the hub of world financial trade,don't suppose her hubby is too keen either.
Has she any friends?
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
May is running out of allies before the Brexit war has even started....she has told the Scots they are not to be part of Brexit negotiations,she has told parliament that she doesn't need them and can ignore them,she has told the EU that she doesn't care about trading with Europe,she has told the City of London that she doesn't care about Londons position as the hub of world financial trade,don't suppose her hubby is too keen either.
Has she any friends?
KudosDave
It's the Margaret Thatcher approach, take no notice of anyone else and tell her minions what she expects them to think. Then plough on, ignoring any signs that what she's doing is foolish.

As that predecessor, the tears will come as she leaves Downing Street.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Unlike Mrs T., Mrs May does not enjoy a commanding majority in the House though.
She can still be a great politician if she gets brexit right.
Didn't you notice that the 'elite' is still very much in charge? funny that brexit propaganda was to sock it to the 'elite'.

• Agree
Reactions: Andy D and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Didn't you notice that the 'elite' is still very much in charge? funny that brexit propaganda was to sock it to the 'elite'.
Very much like a Thatcher, she said similar and also promised to get government off peoples back. She then proceeded to do exactly the opposite with much more law, brutally enforced at times, becoming increasingly like a police state. The only eventual beneficiaries under her were the elite benefitting from her privatisations.

The rest of us lost heavily, especially in terms of our freedoms, something which has continued ever since.

• Agree
Reactions: trex
D

Deleted member 4366

If I were a dictator in charge of this country, we'd get a lot of things sorted out, and you'd all be very happy. We need a dictator with sensible ideas. Hopefully, that would be TM, but I guess disappointment will come sometime in the future. Let's give her a chance. She'll have to try pretty hard to be worse than her predecessors.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Has she any friends?
KudosDave
Putin

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If I were a dictator in charge of this country, we'd get a lot of things sorted out, and you'd all be very happy.
I'm sure the original intention of every would be dictator over the ages, but always doomed.

Whatever the policy on any matter, it only suits a proportion of the population, and often a very small proportion. The remainder either wreck the dictator's intentions or have to be forced to comply.

Either way it's failure and why we put up with all the deficiencies of democracy.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If I were a dictator in charge of this country, we'd get a lot of things sorted out, and you'd all be very happy. We need a dictator with sensible ideas. Hopefully, that would be TM, but I guess disappointment will come sometime in the future. Let's give her a chance. She'll have to try pretty hard to be worse than her predecessors.
But, as Father used to say to me
"Nothing is Foolproof to the Talented Fool"
Just look at her track record!

Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
She hasn't hit her biggest obstacle yet,Parliament is about to return and Labour may finally get over their disagreements, There are 450 plus MPs who cannot be impressed that she says she can ignore them and go it alone.
I don't know about triggering Article 50 next year,I don't think she will still be PM out of this year.
The October court judgement could be the catalyst about a vote of no confidence.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
May thought that Hammond would be a good ally but Hammond and the Treasury are very much committed to the single market,realising that the tax take would fall off a cliff if our banks lose the EU passport.
Yet May seems to say that immigration control is the priority over all other decisions and is prepared to sacrifice the EU bank passport.
Hammond was a strong Remainer,he cannot be comfortable being told what to do by May completely against his departments targets.
This weekend seems to be the fight back by the Remainers,there are the marches in London and other cities,the declaration by Anna Soubry that Brexit must include the single market,Nichola Sturgeon is spitting blood that the Scots are not to be included in any Brexit negotiations, Parliament returns with 450 Remainers and Boris is already making a nuisance of himself with his letter to May or was it to the Express.
And it hasn't started yet,
I thought she was saying that she was a candidate who was going to unite the Tory party,her dictatorial stance will cause a split in the party between the Euro Sceptics and the Remainers that will be much worse than Cameron ever experienced.
KudosDave

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
well, at least they start dealing with it. The brexiters set out their stall first. It's now up to the city to reply. It could well be that the city don't worry too much about not having a passport, they can always set themselves up in Dublin, Luxembourg or Edinburg if they have not done so already. Dublin can always offer then sweetheart tax deals to facilitate the moves. The net effect so far is to stabilize the exchange rates, not a bad thing.

Advertisers