Thermister type in battery pack?

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
Hi all I am sure that someone will be able to help me with my problem,
I have posted a wanted ad on the site for an LA Free charger.
since then I have been reading up the various threads and it seems very unlikley that I will be able to aquire a "genuine" charger.:(
That being the case It seems as though there are a number of Smart chargers that will do the job.
I am considering a charger manufactured by the Shenzhen corporation, after checking the spec sheet it seems to be a satisfactory substitute.:)
The only thing that I need to check is the type of thermister fitted in the LAFree battery pack.
The charger is a 3PXO-N7030 smart NiMh charger, and is designed to work with an NTC type thermister 10k b=3950.
Can anyone confirm that the sensor fitted is ok to work with this charger?
Having just paid £250.00 for a new battery I dont want to fry it with an unsuitable charger.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Mark.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That thermistor value is perfect for the job Mark, and Shenzen chargers are very reliable.

The Shenzen charger I normally recommend for the Lafree battery is this one which I've thoroughly tested on the Lafree battery:

http://www.powerstream.com/z/BC48V2As.jpg

but I have it as a different part number as supplied by Powerstream. You can read about it on my Lafree website here, together with the connector instructions:

Lafree charger

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
LaFree charger

I bought the charger Flecc recommends when I thought my LaFree battery had packed up, the battery & the charger were sent back to Giant who said that the battery was duff, but the charger was OK; complete rubbish, it was the the other way round!!
The Shenzen charger has been excellent, I now get the mileage (23/25 miles) I used get when I first had the bike, not the 5/6 miles the Panasonic charger was giving me before I realised something was wrong.

Derrick - Llanberis

P.S.sparky5 should be glad he can't get a genuine i.e.Panasonic charger, the Shenzen chargers are much better(reliable) & cheaper than the ones supplied by Giant, if you can get one.

Last edited:

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
Thanks.

Thanks to you both, your help is much appreciated I am new to the delights of power assisted bikes and learning fast.
I used to cycle a lot when I was young but a motorcycle accident and bad legs and feet passed on from my mother put a stop to that many years ago.
The LAFree has given me back the joy of cycling again, you cant believe how good it feels!:D

As you say Flecc that plug is impossible to find however by the look of it the fixing inside the battery pack may take a standard Din panel socket.
No problem changing the charger plug for a proper Din plug, the existing uses 4 ways so I think a 5 pin 180 degree type would suit admirably with no chance of incorrect connection.
Maybe a project for the winter months?

Thanks again.

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited:

Advertisers