Things I didn't know......and confusion.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Because I have never paid much attention to it, I have never been able to remember the date of Fathers' Day in the UK. As with Easter, it seems Fathers' Day is a moveable feast and just to add to my confusion, rather like the Queen's birthday, I have to deal with two celebratory occasions marking the event because Spain retains the traditional date in March while in the UK, it occurs in June.

Thankfully, I happened across an article in a regional newspaper, probably familiar to the forum 'Brexit' commentator, 'OG', so my thanks go to that organ for illuminating the matter and making my confusion understandable.

what-date-is-fathers-day-1581625

Tom

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I refuse to acknowledge any of these days so no problem for me. They are blatantly commercially inspired and promoted.

They'd try brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles days if they thought it would pay. Not to mention pets day.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Yes ,Flecc ,blatant commercial probity!
I blame them obsequious sentilmental yanks who saw a pile of dollars with Mother's day, when it should be Mothering Sunday, as celebrated by the church in Britain.
Mothering Sunday is different ,with recognition given to mother's.

Mother's Day, Hallmark cards see piles of dollars as well as most businesses around the World.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I find the idea of Mother's Day as opposed to the religious festival of Mothering Sunday repugnant.
Although not religious, I fully respect the right of those that are to celebrate their church's festivals.
The commercial invention of Father's day (and I refuse to accept any other explanation dragged up by Americans to gild the lily) should be seen for what it is, and ignored.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So you prefer the Irish stuff do you? ;)
I had an Irish and a scotch at crimbo.. Didn't care for the Irish until I was half way through it which just proves that you can get used to anything! On Aldi's own at the mo.. supposed to rank highly.. Kids say I am easy to buy for. Wife says I am an alky. But, back to things I didn't know "E" eck! you learn something new every day!

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To add to the above two more that are solely promoted for money making, Valentines and Halloween AFAIC bolh totally b******s.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
To add to the above two more that are solely promoted for money making, Valentines and Halloween AFAIC bolh totally b******s.
Don't get me started on xmas... :D

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
As a lover of fine malt whisky, although I only have an occasional pint dram, I keep receiving various malts as presents on my birthday and Christmas (they don't know what to buy for an old fart like me!)

On a very sad note, I am probably the only man on the planet who has ever dropped a bottle of 25yo Macallan just moments after receiving it from an in-law, on to a hard surface with unsurprising results.

That aside, 'Fathers' Day' - stuff it!

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Halloween is American anyway, never was a British thing.
No no no !!. Halloween is a Celtic possibly even scandanivian linked very much with the Irish. It went of with the Irish to the States and got notions above its station. The original is Oiche Samhnain .. the night of of Samhnain. Based on the autumnal equinox , its about the spirits of the dead being able to roam the earth on one night, before being put back in their place by rituals the next day.
The Christian modification was to assign it as All Hallows Eve ,the day before All Saints Day. Halloween is a corruption of the word All Hallows .
The traditional light to light the way for the wandering spirits was a candle in a turnip, which the US converted into a Pumpkin.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No no no !!. Halloween is a Celtic possibly even scandanivian linked very much with the Irish. It went of with the Irish to the States and got notions above its station. The original is Oiche Samhnain .. the night of of Samhnain. Based on the autumnal equinox , its about the spirits of the dead being able to roam the earth on one night, before being put back in their place by rituals the next day.
The Christian modification was to assign it as All Hallows Eve ,the day before All Saints Day. Halloween is a corruption of the word All Hallows .
The traditional light to light the way for the wandering spirits was a candle in a turnip, which the US converted into a Pumpkin.
Agreed. I was posting about the way it's celebrated in modern times, by Americans as an American institution, pumpkins, trick or treat and all that. Which as you say they brought from this side of the pond long ago of course.

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do the Americans have anything that isn't "borrowed"?
Pumpkins. They are North American in origin.

Of course the true original brown skinned Americans had loads of original things, like totem poles and tepees. But they then suffered from uncontrolled immigration of economic migrants coming across the sea, seeking a better life. ;)

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True, but aren`t we all immigrants ourselves?

if you go back far enough?
Indeed, science tells us that we all came from Africa seeking a better life, making opposition to what is happening now somewhat irrational.

Advertisers