This creaking is driving me crazy - any ideas?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Hi all,

Hoping someone here may have experienced the same problem:

Many thanks in advance :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The creaks appear to be on the downstrokes, which normally indicates the crank arm nuts need tightening on square-taper fit cranks. However I don't know the crank type on your motor unit.

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks for the advice folks :)

Flecc - apparently the crank allen bolts were lose but they're tight now. My LBS checked it over and thought it sounded like bottom bracket but the shop I bought it from doesn't think it could be that.

Fordulike - I had thought about the seat post but it does it when I'm standing up so cancelled that out/ Thanks for the help though and yes I'm feeling a bit crazy about it lol!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can also use a bit of Greece if you take off the crank arms and tighten them back up.

if its still there after that try the bike with out the plastic motor casing and see if its that.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks SW :)

I don't have the tools to do this unfortunately but assume the LBS did this.

The plastic casing doesn't seem very well put together TBH, the bottom part of it doesn't clip together properly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another common source of such creaks on crank units is the bolts holding it into the frame.

The frames are painted and then the motor unit mounted. With pedal force the paint on the frame compresses, leaving the motor unit able to very slightly shift in the mountings on each pedal stroke. The cure is to tighten the mounting bolts further.

The Panasonic units often suffered this creaking source.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think you will need a crank puller to take of the crank arm but mine just come off unscrewing the bolts.

you could try unscrewing the case screws and try clip it on a bit better with the arms still on but be better if you can remove them to do this or get the lbs to have another look if you have no tools at all.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Flecc - thanks again - will give this a go. Very useful information. Fingers crossed :)

SW - as above thanks again. Will go round there tomorrow and see if I can buy a crank puller. Once I've got the crank arms off I'm guessing I should be able to check everything is tight :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the 3 bolts flecc is on about are the 1s that hold the motor to the frame

James Smalley

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2016
Try greasing the pedal threads also... Remove the pedals, apply grease to the threads and refit.
It sounded very much like a failing bottom bracket on one of my bikes.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
SW you gent :)

James - thanks for that. I've tried that already and changed the pedals.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
When you think that I have done nearly 2500 km with my bottom bracket held in with epoxy paste and narry a squeak... :oops:

I had pedal squeak problems that went away when I fitted the Shimano ones I took off my second free bike. Once the left hand pedal squeaked itself all the way off and I had to push several km home :eek:

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Spoke to the shop I bought it from today and they are happy for me to keep using it like this which is good because I'm using it every day and saving £12 a day :)

They thought it could be the motor mounts so my plan is to take it back to the LBS and get them to remove the crank arms, plastic casing and torque the motor mounts. Will also get them to fit a new 17t gear whilst they're at it.. A silver lining :)

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers