Help! Thought choosing would be easy but...

bobbyjum

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2021
Hello all,
Chubby (5'6", 12.5st, 42yr) non-cyclist looking for an ebike to cope with the road up Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh (the 'mountain' in the city) to get to work (plus some trails with my cyclist girlfriend).
I originally thought it would pretty much be a case of setting a price range (£1500 - £2500ish) and choosing the style I liked (upright position and a rack), but now my brain is full of torque ratings and whether a crank drive is better than a hub drive.
I think I get the 'physics' of it all but any help with the 'real world practicalities' would be very much appreciated.
(What's gonna get my fat ass over a bloody steep hill without giving me heart attack?)
Cheers!

Last edited:

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
If you live in Edinburgh and you have access to dealers and backup etc, get a crank drive with a motor capable of 70nm plus. Any of the well known makes will eat the hills around Edinburgh and beyond.
Specialized. Trek, Cube, Giant etc, biggest problem will be finding something to buy.

Reactions: bobbyjum

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I would agree with Steven, get any of the main crank drives and you will be ok. But do not get hung up on the torque figures. I have a shimano system with 60 Nm torque and in boost mode can easily get me up hills that I would struggle to walk up.

Although the crank drives are better up hills you have to constantly put in effort. I have recorded many routes using my crank drive and hub bikes and generally you have an easier time on the hub bike. On the flatter sections the hub bike just wafts you along whereas the crank bike still makes you work. I would try both systems but the most important thing is make sure it fits you. Forget all this marketing nonsense about torque etc any decent system will do what you need.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Although the crank drives are better up hills you have to constantly put in effort.
Slight clarification; doesn't significantly change the advice above. The 'must put in effort' is a feature of torque sensing as opposed to cadence sensing. Mostly crank drive systems have torque sensing and hub drive systems have cadence sensing, but there are quite a few exceptions; hub/torque, or more rarely crank/cadence.

Terry777

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2021
Edinburgh
There are plenty shops “up the toon” buddy, so get on google then phone around and see who’s got what offers on. You might just get a deal. Everyone is getting ebikes right now so a deal may or may not be available. This also means you’ll have no probs with maintenance and people to help you. Go into as many shops as you can so your not just stuck with 1 shops advice. Tell them you want a mid drive for £1.5k, you can “maybe” go a bit more for the right bike.
They may also have a few demo bikes you can have a go on to give you a feel for what you want. I’d give you a go on mine but @ 5”6 you may crack the Crown Jewels. I’m 5”11 and just clear my top bar, and I mean just! I’ve had a few “OHYA” moments. Hope this helps…

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Wisper Wayfarer is at the lower end of yor budget. The hub-motor versions arequite powerful and give a better ride than the crank motors. The Electric Cycle co. in Granton road sells them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you can get a dropper seat post for the first 2 if thats a problem.