Thoughts on a radrunner?

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
Hi all, I'd be grateful for any opinions on this. My wife (5ft2 but happily riding a 26" mountain bike with the seat set at 33" above the pedal at its lowest point (her choice of saddle height)) likes the look of the radrunner for transporting our 6yr old to school and back (2.2mikes each way).

I can see why, its marketed well for this purpose but I'm not convinced and wonder if there are better choices out there and if so if anyone could point me to them.
My reservations include:
It has only 1 gear.
It weighs 30kg.
It only really works (as a concept) with a throttle which isn't allowed in UK at present.
The custom accessories are expensive- it will cost about £1280 with the passenger seat kit and mudguards (an extra £80!) included.

I can get a heavy duty rear rack that holds 50kg and a seat and passenger handlebar kit from amazon for about £30 each (and hopefully stunt pegs and some sort of chain cover and spoke cover but not researched these yet) so that opens the field for any step through e-bike with 26" (or less) wheels.

The usual recommendations of Whoosh and Wisper are sold out (Whoosh until next March I think they said!) but juicy may have some stock.

The choice out there is overwhelming so I'd welcome some pointers.

If that pointer is "get a radrunner" that's also fine by the way! (they say November shipping but who knows...)

Thanks!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It has pedal assist. Use of the throttle is optional. At48v, it should be fine with only one gear. The only question I have is who's going to fix it if it goes wrong?

Stunt pegs won't fit because of the motor axle. You'll need some clamp-on ones or make your own brackets.

Last edited:

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
Hi and thanks for the reply!
I thought even the presence of a throttle was a no no in uk?
Pedal assist on a hill start on a 30kg bike with adult and child passenger (or other load) and only one gear....Would that work? I mean what if you couldn't even get the peddles turning? It takes a bit of rotation for the assist to kick in doesn't it?

The stunt peg idea was for an alternative bike as radpower sell a kit with a seat, pegs and wheel shroud (for an extra £90 approx). But yeah, point taken, they may not fit on other bikes either.

Yes good point about who's going to fix problems. Will look into that. But are there better options for around this price (or at least less than double or triple this price)?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I thought even the presence of a throttle was a no no in uk?
I must admit that I'm very confused on throttle rules as well. It seems (maybe but ????) that they are OK if they only assist up to 4mph or so (enough to help with hill starts), or if you have to peddle at least a bit before the throttle works (no help for hill starts but maybe useful once going if feeling lazy).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You're not supposed to sell bikes with throttles in the Uk, but, as you can see, it's still possible to buy bikes with them. If you look at the Government rules for electric bikes, it doesn’t mention throttles. Besides that, nobody is checking and nobody cares.

With a throttle, you won't need to worry about starting up without gears, especially with the massive torque you'll get from 48v and small wheels.

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
So is it a good choice or are there better alternatives for similar money? I could stretch to £2k if worth it but would rather spend less. I've been looking at a wisper wayfarer h7 as an alternative. I'm in Brighton and their closest shop is in Eastbourne if I need repairs.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you ask for recommendations, you're likely to get replies that say, "I've got this bike, it's the best bike in the world because I chose it. I'm a genius, so everything I choose is the best. Anybody that chooses anything else is an idiot" or words that say something different, but mean the same.

There's a massive choice of bikes out there, each with different characteristics. You have to choose one with characteristics that match the characteristics you need. If you're not sure about anything, we can probably clarify it for you. You have given us very little to help you so far.

Reactions: Domm and MontyPAS

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
"I've got this bike, it's the best bike in the world because I chose it. I'm a genius, so everything I choose is the best. Anybody that chooses anything else is an idiot"
Spot on!
Anyone who has a heavier bike than mine is an idiot, anyone who has a lighter one is self-indulgent.

A 'normal' ebike plus a Tagalong / trailer bike might be better long term, and probably about the same weight (see note above ;) ). As your child gets older they can have their own bike, and you're left a more universal ebike too - lighter for solo use / easier to sell.

Also, 6-year olds do generate power*, so it's not a complete dead weight.

*power output may vary with Haribo input.

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
u have given us very little to help you so far.
Oops! I thought I laid it out OK with lots of info? They will weigh about 85kg combined and there are a few short (300-500m) but steep (Sorry, no idea how to find out gradient but first or second gear jobs) hills both there and back. Hope this helps!

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
Also, 6-year olds do generate power*, so it's not a complete dead weight.

*power output may vary with Haribo input.
Haha, brilliant! She's a pretty good cyclist for her and to be fair it's just that it's a bit of a slot for her so young and it's starting to put her off her bike which she loves so we need to nip that in the bud. Mum just wants the journey to be quicker especially as weather worsens and help with some short steep sections as well as a longer slog on the way home. We like the tag along idea except for storage as it is so long. At the moment the bikes are in our hall which is a pain but means they're ready to use rather than faffing to get them out of a shed and back gate which isn't going to happen daily.

telboy

Just Joined
Dec 28, 2020
Having also shared the analysis-paralysis of which ebike option... We eventually decided on the RadRunner Plus.

This bike as a package includes extras such as front suspension, 7 gears, fenders/mud guards.

A better seat is also a must. Bought a suntour suspension post and comfy seat. This does raise the seat height so if you are short this may be difficult.

EggRider2 display helps unlock the EU compliant restricted controller to deliver 900w peak power which really helps on hills. Also full speed via twist throttle is solo much fun!

For us this bike was good choice.