Thoughts on Ideal bikes?

Martinharp

Just Joined
Jul 16, 2018
Hello to you all, I'm a new member (1st post so be kind ;) ) & I'm totally lost in the myriad of choice out there when it comes to Bikes in the 2-3k bracket. I have tried to do a bit of research & I quiet like the idea of shimano steps, definitely the bigger 500 battery & a hardtail that looks like a MTB.
I have normal 29er & 26" MTB's & I saw this whilst browsing

https://www.ebike-base.com/ebike/ideal-traxer-e10-14538/

I thought it looks good, the spec is ok (apart from the fork & wheels) & the deal is nearly right, so plan would be to take the wheels from one of my existing bikes & upgrade the forks to fox or rockshox, geo is a bit old skool but then so am I!

I'm painfully aware that things are moving fast with Ebikes & prices are coming down fast, specs getting better etc, I really don't know whether to jump in now or not.

Does anyone have any input, or better bikes that can be had for the money, am I barking up the wrong tree choosing shimano over Bosch? I'm confused :(

Help!

Cheers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you have to spend alot b4 you will start to get hi end forks and wheels ect so more like 4-5k+

you will also pay a premium for haibike ect but could get the same bike from say cube for cheaper for the same spec,if you want to remove the speed limit then the shimano is not so good as can be done but 2x the price of a badass dongle and not as easy to fit.

Martinharp

Just Joined
Jul 16, 2018
Many thanks for the swift reply, I have no intention (although that will probably change) in removing the limiter, I just want a bike so I can keep up with my fitter mates on the climbs, I have no problem on the downs & technical stuff anyway as I have been riding serious off road stuff for 30+ years, I just don't have the legs for long slow shallow inclines anymore.
My Initial plan was to get a frame motor & battery & transfer all the bits from my current hardtail but this seems now nigh on impossible so looking to use my wheels & finishing kit on a factory bike as they seem the best value.
Main question aside from aesthetics which are very important to me (I'm shallow) is which motor to use, my impressions on paper are the shimano which seems expensive but maybe I'm totally wrong as I have never ridden an E-bike.

Cheers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well motor wise they are all about the same power but you would have to try some out first as there a bit like marmite.

the price of the batts is also high if you want a spare for more range but some are a bit cheaper than others.

the shimano new motors have not been out long so not much to go on reliability wise atm but not much wrong with the bosch cx or the yamaha pwx motors.

best option is to have a go on a few to make up ur mind what system you want as the rest as just normal bike parts.

Reactions: Martinharp

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Take a look at the Cube Reaction Hybrid SL 500 it's towards the top end of your price range but it has a decent spec. I bought one a few months ago and am extremely pleased with it. It has the battery built into the down tube, which seems to be what many manufacturers are doing for their 2019 bikes.

You will have no problem getting up virtually any off road hill on it provided you can get traction. Your mates are likely to get a bit annoyed with you however because you will leave them all behind on an decent off road hill.

I have a mate who is super fit, he leaves me for dust on a flat road on a non electric mtb, but off road up steep hills he can't live with me.