Thoughts please on Cube Suv Hybrid Pro 500 27.5 2016

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Hello - another newbie here, seeking opinions and impressions on this bike

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/electric-e-bikes/cube-suv-pro-hybrid-e-bike-27-5-inch-2016

My main concern is cost and if this bike offers comparative value for money (my original budget was 1000)....are there perhaps similar specs on other bikes for a lot less? - i'm also curious as i'm finding very few reviews on Cube bikes here in these forums.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A few satisfied Cube owners on here who, by the nature of these things, don't often post to say the bike is still going well.

The Bosch system is popular and reliable, and it usually comes bolted to a decent bike - as in this case.

What do you intend to use the bike for?

And for how many miles at time?

The Cube has the new bigger battery, which should give a range of 50+ miles.

Enough for many riders, but some would want to go further.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it has the active motor tho not the performance 1

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
A few satisfied Cube owners on here who, by the nature of these things, don't often post to say the bike is still going well.

The Bosch system is popular and reliable, and it usually comes bolted to a decent bike - as in this case.

What do you intend to use the bike for?

And for how many miles at time?

The Cube has the new bigger battery, which should give a range of 50+ miles.

Enough for many riders, but some would want to go further.

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks for the responses. It's very reassuring to hear that the battery is generally considered reliable and that there are Cube owners out there.

I think I would be using this maximum of 30 miles once a week and daily only 5 miles in hilly Brighton, this might be overkill then... I can imagine cycling more and more, so perhaps this bike allows for that freedom to expand my cycling patterns, I would like especially to begin going more on country pathways/semi of roading on the South Downs, which without electric assistance is physically a bit to strenuous for me. I notice the bike has front suspension which seems to be a perk. Perhaps this bike fits the bill?

I'm a bit worried that I'm being tempted by the look of the bike as I don't have enough knowledge of components. e.g reading that this has an active and not a performance motor, i'm not sure what this means?

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Well I'm still pleased with mine. Purchased early 2014 and now covered 2700 miles. Here's my first post about it.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-reaction-hybrid-pro29-first-impressions.17754/
I would have liked the SUV but it was over my budget at the time.
My Cube / Bosch has performed well without issue. My only niggle has been the shimano 9 speed gears, never quite changing smoothly.
Gear changing shouldn't be a problem having hub gears and the 500 battery is a bonus. What with that and the air forks it's a well specd bike. Probably the bike I would buy if my cube wasn't so new.

I think the reason Cube don't get much of a look in is not because there's anything wrong with them it's that the trade members on here don't sell Cube, my bike came from leasure lakes and they don't use social media atall.
PS active motor is fine

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There is an e-bike shop in Brighton marina now. I've not been down for a look, but it could be worth hunting them out, to see if they have any demo bikes.

You also have 50cycles at Shoreham. Same again, see if they have any demo bikes.

Slightly further away, but multi brand and worth visiting before parting with any money, is Cycling Made Easy http://www.cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk/electricbikesinTunbridgeWells Rob Montgomery that runs the shop is very knowledgeable and helpful.

I'm biased, but one of these could suit your role very nicely, especially if riding on the South Downs appeals. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/newbie-from-surrey-saying-hi-ktm-macina-force.22490/

I'm a fan of hardtail mtb's/ e-mtb's and the front suspension is definitely a worthy addition. I also ride regularly on the South Downs, and electric assist certainly makes it a pleasure.

Last edited:

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
I like the look of your bike Gringo, it seems like it is an excellent bike . Reading about peoples riding experiences over time is especially interesting. The Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 400 2016 is what originally caught my eye. The build qualities on these Cube's all seem very good.

The Cube SUV is beyond my budget, so interest free over a long period will be needed! It's a big decision. i'm worried that my original 1000 pound budget might lead to risk of disappointment along the way. It sounds so far that the SUV should be nicely rounded without snags and perhaps worth going for as a long term investment.

Just a few random questions to throw out if anyone has answers. is it high performance for short but steep hills? Will it be a comfortable/a smooth riding experience? Is it worth going for a 400 model Cube or worth spending extra on a 500? Could I get an equivalent bike for less cost?

Last edited:

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Eddie you are right, I have never even been on an e-bike. Getting a real feel for the different types is I suppose really rather essential. I will check out those local shops that you have mentioned, thank you!

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I hadn't spotted Gringo's comment about the Active line motor, and he is correct.

I'd say that for 95% of people and 95% of the time, an Active line motor is spot on. I have one on the ladies bike that I have here, and it gives a very pleasurable and enjoyable ride.

Next up is the Performance Line that I have in my bike, and the difference in torque is very noticeable. It suits my needs pretty much perfectly, and it's extra grunt is very useful off road, but I don't feel that this is currently going to be a requirement for you.

The new CX motor is a leap up again, and I've yet to ride one, but again you won't require one.

I have no idea how much extra range that you would get between the batteries, but I suspect that for your use, a 400wh battery will be fine. Especially if it means a decent cost saving on the bike. On the other hand, I'd hate to suggest something, and then have you regret it months down the line.

I weigh 75kg and I'm reasonable fit. My 400wh battery on a heavier full suspension bike gives me probably an average off road range of 28 miles. I've killed it in ten miles, and at the other end of the scale have got roughly thirty seven miles out of it. It all just depends upon terrain.

I'm mentioning the above, as you might well find that when visiting shops and ask about range, that you are greeted by someone dressed as, and called Pinoncchio. Don't get pulled in by wild claims in respect of range. Also, don't get put off by wheel size. Any of the current sizes will suit you perfectly, and if the same model of bike is cheaper in one size than the other, just go for the cheaper option.

So you now have three possible cost saving options. Active Line motor, 400wh battery and a wheel set that the dealer might be trying to push.

Last edited:
Reactions: row

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bosch do there range testing on the moon lol ;)

Reactions: SteveRuss

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was going to get a bike from them till they said will void the hole warranty if a dongle is used on the bike and they find out..

just another place that should state that on there site imo:rolleyes: as will not even service it either

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks Eddie, that's a good way to begin to look at cost saving in terms of those options you mentioned. I'm thinking battery distance over power/torque would be my first priority - that type of power sounds really nice and fun though!

It sounds like the suv bike could, first of all get up onto the South Downs and then also handle some gentle meandering along the.pathways up there. If it could, that would be the dream!

I'm 70 kg and reasonably fit (not cyclist hill fit). It would beyond my endurance to do that type of riding normally and actually enjoy it - so perhaps this sort of bike has those capabilities.

thanks for the advice, had never thought of the wheel size as a cost factor, all very informative considerations, thank you!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will get the same bike cheaper from Germany, just the hassle if anything goes wrong with it sending it back worst case.;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks Soundwave. I love the look of that bike to. It is by the looks of things about 200 pounds cheaper then the UK retailers that i have seen and 500 pounds cheaper then the SUV model...hmm

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
The marketing guy at leisure lakes will be gutted when I show him this lol. They are all over social media. :)
Going on comments made by a LL employee early last year when I said " why can't I find you on e-bike forums"

Back to the question about motors.
I've never ridden a performance motor, I fell in love with the active line on my first test ride and thousands of miles later I haven't regretted my choice.
If your out seriously off roading or pushing to hold higher speeds up hill then more torque would help but if you use the gears and power levels well, you'll ride for miles and take hills in your stride, it's a bit like someone's giving you a push start but it goes on up to 15 mph.
When I'm off road, rather than sticking in one high setting, I'll be up & down the power as the conditions change, if when I see a muddy climb ahead I'll be in a low gear and high power before I start to climb but as I reach the top an conditions get easier, I back off the power before changing up through the gears.
Everyone will have there own style of riding but this suites me and I ride on average for about 3 hours at a time ( give or take ) on the road that's about 40 miles, off road perhaps 20. I enjoy every mile and still come home with Juice in the battery.