Three Up with a Torq and Trailer

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi,

Well I keep reading about the Torq and its lack of torque, and I have no reason to doubt those who find this a problem as it is an objective fact that the Torq is substantially over-geared. Nevertheless, these things are all relative. I have no problem sailing this trailer and my two sons up hills that almost have me defeated on a normal cycle and we all have an absolute ball doing it.

Yes, I have to put some effort in at times, but that is all part of the fun and I have not regretted my purchase for a second.

Torq.JPG

The moral of the story is to take a test ride. What doesn't suit one potential buyer may be precisely the thing you need.

Cheers,

Django

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Absolutely agree with you Django, a test ride is always the best option, and better than anyone elses opinion.

I always firmly warn of the Torq's gearing situation though, since a high proportion of people buying an electric bike do so for help on hills and they are already either very troubled with hill climbing or not currently riding, and often elderly as well. Thats obviously not true of you, since it's clear you are a quite powerful rider still to be able to pull that load with a Torq on a 58" low gear.

In this forum alone we've seen a succession of people who've bought a Torq and then been extremely disappointed or very angry about it's hill climb failings, invariably then selling the bike at a substantial loss. Worse still, some spend small fortunes on changing chainwheel, cassette, rear mechanism and other items and still find it unsuitable, so sell at an even greater loss. It's the statement by one magazine that the Torq also created their "Mountain Course" record, when it was their powerful rider who did it in a very flat area anyway, which misled many of them into the purchase, and unwise statements like that need counterbalance if people are not to be caught out.

I'd rather create cautionary doubt than let very many others lose large sums.

Last edited: