Throttle use Poll

When do you use your throttle if fitted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pedelecers all,

I wonder of you could help me with a poll regarding the use of a throttle on your pedelec? BEBA has become involved with the question of whether they should remain legal. I am sure you know our position but we would very much appreciate finding out what the feeling is amongst the pedelec riding community.

We need to be quite general so please chose one of the following categories that is closest to your riding style, if you do not have the advantage of a throttle on your bike please choose option 5.

Of course I would also be pleased to hear your views on the need for a independent throttle on a pedelec if you have time to post.

1. I have a throttle but never use it.
2. I only use throttle on start up to help me get going.
3. I use the throttle occasionally to give my legs/heart/lungs a rest.
4. I always use throttle.
5. I have a pedelec without a throttle.

Many thanks and best regards

David

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think you will find that most hub bike riders with a throttle will be very reluctant to lose them. But I think most have not tried a crank drive bike and dont appreciate how refined a non throttle bike can be, plus the lack of noise a real bonus.

I try not to use the thumb throttle on my hub bike, as main use is local transport and exercise, but probably would if under pressure, commuting etc...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Throttles improve safety by reducing take-off wobble. I would argue for more throttles. I myself ride a bike with several of them...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Seriously though, "I use a throttle often for improved road safety" would get a vote from me.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Me too...even with crank motor I do like my throttle to set off, say up a hill, or in traffic.....I find it seems safer, which is why I thought long and hard then waited for my particular bike....I think it gives me the best of both worlds.

Lynda :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Throttles improve safety by reducing take-off wobble. I would argue for more throttles. I myself ride a bike with several of them...
In that case may I suggest either more whisky or some cycling lessons?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I like the throttle to give instant help, as the gearing on many ebikes is quite high then it takes longer for the power to kick in when starting off. With a lower gear the pedals would turn quicker from standstill and the power would cut in faster, without that then I'll carry on using the throttle to start off.
I also use it when riding on snow or ice as pedalling can cause the back wheel to slide sideways.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Addition?

6. I only have a throttle on my bike.

Another throttle only user here.

However as I use the lower powered/more fragile Tongxin motors I never start off on the flat or on a hill with throttle, but only use it once I get moving if needed.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I sort of use the the throttle all the time:
I have a cruise control that sends an adjustable, but continuous signal to the throttle input. I pedal all the time, so I decide how fast I want to go and then adjust the cruise control to adjust how much effort I put in, so I use it as an effort control rather than speed control. When I want to slow down, I feather the brakes, which cuts it. When I want to accelerate again, I just let go of the brakes.

I have a pedal sensoe, but the power it gives is too much.

I also have a normal throttle, but never use it. For the poll, I said I used my throttle (cruise control) nearly all the time

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I removed my pedelec.
A throttle is a must for narrow paths, you can drag your feet. Also starting off and crossing a main road is much safer with a throttle

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I should also add I don't ever just use throttle (or very rarely) always assisting by pedaling until I reach 15mph and then I shut the throttle off as its not contributing.

"thinks" does that make sense ?

Regards

Jerry

david1949

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Belfast
I would be lost without my throttle as a example i was out the other day and when going up a hill there was road works on the hill. So when i got to them the lights controlling the road works had turner to red if i had not had my throttle i could not have paddle of on the green as the bike would be to heavy .

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Blast!!!! I should have added that one Bob of course they make pedelecs safer!

I dont think I can though, I will however try.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I sort of use the the throttle all the time:
I have a cruise control that sends an adjustable, but continuous signal to the throttle input. I pedal all the time, so I decide how fast I want to go and then adjust the cruise control to adjust how much effort I put in, so I use it as an effort control rather than speed control. When I want to slow down, I feather the brakes, which cuts it. When I want to accelerate again, I just let go of the brakes.

I have a pedal sensoe, but the power it gives is too much.

I also have a normal throttle, but never use it. For the poll, I said I used my throttle (cruise control) nearly all the time
Exactly the way I use my throttle D8veh, as well as start up and the odd rest (less frequent now!). The throttle allows a rider to set the assistance to exactly the correct level for the individual's requirements and of course can be increased or decreased without taking your eye off the road or your hand off the the handle bars.

All the best

David

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Another throttle only user here.

However as I use the lower powered/more fragile Tongxin motors I never start off on the flat or on a hill with throttle, but only use it once I get moving if needed.

Regards

Jerry
Welcome to the exclusion list Jerry :rolleyes:
I voted anyway :p

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Throttle for myself. Never got along with Pedelec even when using the smaller bafang.

Mainly becasue it caused a small increase in drag past the 15-17mph of when I like to cut into the free wheeling.

It maybe becasue I ride a motorbike and it feels much familier with a throttle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've voted that I always use a throttle since that's my current bike's method, but I also like the better pure pedelecs without throttles. Both have their advantages and I've enjoyed both to the full. If I had the space I'd still be riding both types for differing purposes.