Through-axle hub motor

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think that this product is for OEMs to make their e-bikes from scratch.
The torque arm is built into the inside of their special dropouts which also incorporates the mount for your rear brakes caliper.
I can't see anyone modifying their bike frames to take on the Bafang dropouts.

Reactions: Scorpio

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Sadly I think woosh is correct.

The days of bolting a motor rear hub onto a high end mtb frame are becoming a thing of the past - the 135QR standard has fallen from grace is seems

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It would be easy enough to make one or two torque arms to fo over that boss. Before they were commercially available, I used to make my own for 10 x 12 axles. All you need is an angle grinder, a dremmel, some files and some 5mm steel plate.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Good point, a custom torque arm inserted inside the non drive side rear drop out looks do able.

Would need to establish if there’s a similar boss on the drive side - inserting a custom torque arm here would be more challenging

Last edited:

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Ooh..came across this thread following a search on google for thru-axle motors. I just bought a 2019 Giant Trance and wanted to get another rear kit to replace my (now stolen) Trance/Oxydrive combo.

Its uplifting to see that the motors are actually made (albeit it seems for OE at tje moment) which I wasnt sure about until now. I think there is a replaceable plate screwed onto the dropout of mine which may assist with fitment of motor/torque arms. I need to look at it more closely but if anyone hears anything more on a lowish powered (250~500w) rear drive kit for thru-axles I would be most interested!