Throwing Things

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
It's been one of those weeks. On the way home today someone threw something at me. It hit me in the chest quite hard, but luckily didn't cause me to fall off in front of a car. I stopped looked behind and saw a group of about six teens hanging around a bus stop. I thought about cycling on and decided that wouldn't solve anything so I cycled up to them and told them I'd knock their teeth out if they ever did that again (and used a lot stronger language than that of course). They said they didn't do anything but there was no-one else around at the time.

Anyway, is this a common thing (the throwing of things), I'm sure I've read posts before on other cycling websites? What is going through someone's mind when they do this?

Aron.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Usually the only things thrown at me are regular abuse or mickey taking, all old people on bikes being an object of derision with the young. I've found the best way to deal with that is to join in the fun and meet it with amusement.

For example. Riding up to the shops, a group of youngsters opposite, one yelled "baboon". I responded with bouncing up and down on the saddle, a scratching motion under the armpit with a monkey like expression, met with huge approval and a friendly response, indicating I'd become an "orl right geezer". :cool:

Another which regularly happens with my big trailer in tow, mickey taking laughter from a group. One response is to say with a big grin "You're just jealous!" An alternative I've used is to slow right down or stop and say to them, "Say thank you then". The puzzled "why" that results I respond to with something on the lines "You were dead bored until I arrived and now you've had a good laugh. You should be grateful, I could have been driving yet another boring old hatchback". :D

These sort of responses have often led to a chat with a group and on two occasions them showing great interest in the bike and having rides on it. Outcome, all friends, best way if possible. I refuse to get angry with the kids, because I remember what a pain I was as one, a polite way of saying that I was a right little b*****d. :eek:

On two occasions I've been targeted with missiles of some sort, once barely felt on my back so ignored, the other missed me. :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As for what's going on in their minds when they do these sort of things, I think it's something that goes with the teenage phase in any era.

It's an uncertain time when they hide with bravado the insecurity they're really feeling as they find a real adult identity. The result of that is a fear of appearing different in any way to the peer group in which they hide, hence the Nike and similar "uniforms" that they wear.

Anyone outside of their perception of that conformity is a potential target, merely because they are different. Cycling adults are just that, not the norm for their age group, the norm being that they should be driving a car.

The further outside the norm, the more likely one is to become a victim, hence the tormenting and mickey taking of the old, particularly those not conforming to the frail sterotype, such as cyclists like me. Basically, someone elses difference is perceived as a threat to themselves, so they retaliate.

I just feel sorry for them, and hope they come to terms with their real self and find their identity ASAP. Friendship where possible helps them do that.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I'm quite lucky in that living in a rural area and often leaving the house at 6.45 in the morning there is seldom anyone else around !

On the way home at 6.15pm it is now dark and within a mile i'm back out on country roads.

I'm not sure I would want to live in an inner city area (no offence intended!). You can read about the abuse other cyclists get daily on the Cycling Plus forums - not fun!

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Ah the Abuse....

Here in Bristol its not the younger ones I have problems with but the "normal" working people.

The younger ones tend to pass some remark of the "old bird" on the bike, but like Flec, I turn round and have a chin wag with them... then they are totally amazed at my leccy bike and I become part of there "possie" whoo hooo, next time I see them they always say hi :)

The above normally happens on the Avon Cycle path...now I thought as the nights are getting darker, I would be safer using the cycle/pedestrian path that runs alongside the busy main road on the way home.
What a mistake in thinking that! People are so rude, they walk on the cycle part without a care in the world, if they see you they seem to grow wider to just block your way even more.
The comments are amazing, this one especially annoys me "get off the path and ride on the road"...and yes I hate being bullied and I do tend to turn back round and explain the picture on the floor of a cycle....actually means its for cyclists..and ask them if they don't mind walking on the road...just for a change :p

Marian

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's an experience I share with you Marian, pedestrians on the cycle paths, the bigger the group, the more stubborn they are about moving. Trouble is, round here so many adults ride on pavements they're not entitled to be on, I think there's a bit of "Tit for Tat" about it.

One trick I sometimes employ on the narrower cyclepaths is just stop right in their way and wait there without saying anything, so they're forced to walk around me on the grass, mud etc.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
This is where you need HID lights. People think they are motorbikes and get out of the way sharpish :D

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
strange looks

Hi all
most of the time i get a strange look from most people when riding my powabyke as if to say what is it. Today a cyclist shouted out another lazy cyclist or words to that affect but it was quite windy and he was struggling HA HA also today i saw 2 more powabykes there are quite a few around my area. I am getting a ezee quando in 2 weeks time i wonder what comments i will get.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although as an old person I've suffered loads of comments over the last fifteen years of cycling, the latter four with electric Twist and Torq, on the Quando II I've suffered no abuse, with others seeming to be more intrigued by it's appearance and quiet progress to speak out.

The only comments it's received have been favourable, with one lady declaring it to be the best bike she'd ever seen!

I hope your experiences of it will be just as good. It's not just a folder, but a great shopper and utility bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And clearly, so far, they've given the bike back to you... Not a risk I would take, suspicious person that I am.
Mary
When they're a group the risk is greatly lessened Mary. One rides it while I'm chatting with the others. Obviously I assess them first before letting that happen, and have on the odd occasion said no. Having had years of voluntary work with young offenders and been an employer of them, I'm able to use a degree of informed judgement.