Tilting at windmills .

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
We have all had to deal with headwinds at one time or another . In south Lincolnshire we have no hills . The headwinds are our hills . As a child I was fascinated by sailboats , but disappointed to hear that it was impossible to sail head wind .My dad said it was impossible for anything powered by the wind to progress in an upwind direction .I was only 12 , but was determined to prove him wrong . I built a small four wheeled vehicle from Meccano , and added a windmill and a rubber band transmission driving the front axle . The drive was geared down by about six to one . To the amazement of everyone , it would make steady progress against the wind . I have since discovered I was not alone , and not the first . Several people have built trikes and quads with a wind rotor on the front . An american patent from about 1890 shows a bicycle fitted with such a device . It is obvious that there is a severe limit to the size of a wind rotor that can be fitted to a bike . In my opinion though , you could fit a rotor as wide as the handlebar . In a head down riding position, this would cover about 70% of your body . It would not be expected to propell the bike on its own [ although I have proved that with a bigger rotor that would be possible ,] but the question is , would it provide enough energy to the front wheel to cancel out the effect of the headwind ?

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Not impossible for a sailboat although it's what you might call an indirect solution.

Don't forget that sailors have been doing exactly that for hundreds of years! They call it 'tacking' which involves having a keel which makes the boat travel in a straight(ish) line relative to the water and following a zig-zag course. Not directly into the wind, of course, but the end result could be precisely that. It's not the same as what you describe of course but just goes to show that the physics was always known.

Rog.

Last edited:

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
It's errr... beating upwind and tacking is the manoeuvre of changing course to enable the craft to continue to beat upwind before travelling too far laterally or to avoid a hazard or acknowledge a marker such as a buoy. In my case it was usually to avoid running aground on the fast approaching shoreline.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
It's errr... beating upwind and tacking is the manoeuvre of changing course to enable the craft to continue to beat upwind before travelling too far laterally or to avoid a hazard or acknowledge a marker such as a buoy. In my case it was usually to avoid running aground on the fast approaching shoreline.
Can't claim to be an expert on the terminology I'm afraid - just the physics!

Rog.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
With full respect to you sailors , I did a bit of dinghy sailing and windsurfing when I was younger , so I understand tacking . This is not a manoever that would make you popular on a bike , though ! It is interestng to note that there is a guy on youtube who has built windmill powered boats , both models and fullsize , that are capable of sailing in any direction relative to the wind , without tacking . Go on Youtube and search for Windmill Driven Boat.

Last edited:

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
With full respect to you sailors , I did a bit of dinghy sailing and windsurfing when I was younger , so I understand tacking .
A fellow windsurfer! ( well ex windsurfer like me). Sometimes I really miss it but then I remember how I mostly used to sit around freezing my ....... off waiting for some bloody wind!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
It is different in South Lincs . You spend most of the time waiting for the wind to die down enough before you dare to hoist your sail ....

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
It is different in South Lincs . You spend most of the time waiting for the wind to die down enough before you dare to hoist your sail ....
Which gets us back on course (so to speak) with this thread. We have hills and you have wind (well not you personally. At least I hope not).

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
I saw not that long ago a recumbent trike I think with a sail on being tested in Velovision magazine.I thought then a brilliant idea with electric wheel as well, think sail was about 6ft will try and look up which month it was
Fatts

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did a bit of dinghy sailing and windsurfing when I was younger , so I understand tacking . This is not a manoever that would make you popular on a bike , though !
Some cyclists very occasionally still do it on steep hills, and years ago when there was much less traffic it wasn't uncommon to see a cyclist climbing a steep hill in small zig-zags. I've even done it myself!

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Some cyclists very occasionally still do it on steep hills, and years ago when there was much less traffic it wasn't uncommon to see a cyclist climbing a steep hill in small zig-zags. I've even done it myself!
I still do - mostly off-road. Even on e-bikes it can be useful, on a very steep hill, to keep the speed up in the sweet spot. I even do it when walking up long flights of wide steps or steep gradients. Some people think I’m crazy but it does help my dodgy knees.

Not sure if it’s tacking in the nautical sense though.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
What happens to your windmill-powered bike when the road changes direction? Do you find your motor powering your rotor and making it act as a propeller? Or do you just fall off?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@bode , if you are going head wind , and the road changes direction , the wind becomes less of a problem . If the wind rotor is a "cretan " type with cloth sails , you could furl the sails or quickly dissassemble the rotor and put it in your panniers . If you want to use a sail instead of a rotor , a sailwing is better . It need only be one third as big for the same effect . Find the video I mentioned on youtube , and follow the link . There is a catamaran with a sailwing that looks so small as to be ridiculous , but it works well , and can sail much closer to the wind than a sail .

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Look..your simply going in the wrong direction if battling into head winds. what you need is two properties and if wind in your face turn around and go to your other home....Simples!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wind power best for a recumbent trike though, a gusty wind when travelling past obstructions would soon throw a solo bike offline or over.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
When I was a lad we used to travel for miles on the lonely Lincolnshire backroads on home made land yachts . The Police pulled us a couple of times , but admitted that they could not stop us as there was no law against it . They strongly advised us to fit brakes , but said that legally they could not insist on it . We had loads of fun , but grew out of it by the time we were 50 !

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
you could furl the sails or quickly dissassemble the rotor and put it in your panniers .
You woudn't want to do that or its reverse on every bend in a winding road! I know that roads in flatter areas like the Fens or Lincolnshire tend to be straighter, but even so...

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@bode . It is right what you say . But there is a difference between commuting , say , and taking a leisurely ride out as I do every day , purely for exercize and recreation . Unlike a commuter , I can choose my destination , and journey times . It might never replace the diesel engine , but it could still be a lot of fun .Actually , it could be a bit hazardous , riding head down with your skull only a couple of inches from the rotor . I`ts enough to make you think about wearing a you-know-what .

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
@bode I`ts enough to make you think about wearing a you-know-what .
Oh NO.......NOT a 'you know what ' :D :D

Trust you to spoil a good interesting discussion LOL

Lynda :)