Time for a bigger trike - which BBS02?

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Hello

We have been running our electric Nihola Trike as our school run vehicle up and down the hills of Bath for the last 5 years.

Firstly I want to say a huge thanks to d8evh for the advice on motors and batteries the Bafang BPM2 36V500W 201 has been brilliant for hauling kids around and with more torque than the Heinzmann we used to run.

Anyway the kids have grown and we've just bought a bigger trike, an Iceni Carry, handmade near Bath and a lovely bit of kit.

The trike needed a motor and it will be mid-drive. Its needs lots of torque to cope with hills I am looking at the BBS02 36V 25A 500w kit.

I have a couple of questions about if the power comes in from a standing start & if they have a throttle override? Plus can I get a 42T chainring at a later date if I need the gearing?

I am happy to run above 250w, however, usually shy away from more than 500w so I don't feel too guilty and stick to 36v so we can share batteries if necessary across bikes.

I am looking to get the motor quickly so plan to purchase in the UK along with 15 or 20AH battery.

I am open to any other options or advice anyone can give to ensure we end up with a high torque hill climbing trike.Trike.JPG

Thanks in advance

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I think the BBS02 will be perfect for that and dont worry about the throttle as its easy to program it to either provide a small boost in each assist setting or to have full throttle available all the time..
The start delay on mine takes about 4 inches of pedal movement before kicking in but again that can be altered to suit yourself.
Standard chainring is 46T but you can also get 44,48 and 52 in the standard rings and adaptors to use any size chainring from 34T up and due to the long chain on the trike,chain alignment will not be an issue.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Done nearly 2000 trouble free miles on my BBS02 750 mainly on steep hills in the Pennines and dales.
I am ordering a BBS03 shortly as the power is a bit addictive!
This was today's 61 mile ride.
Check out my 61.3 mi Activity on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/522979031

D

Deleted member 4366

If it were my trike, I'd use a BPM motor half way between the crank and the rear axle. Cut the drop-outs off a cheap steel-framed bike and weld them to a bracket. You mount your derailleur and gears on the motor and drop-outs like normal. Fit a sprocket to the disc mounting on the BPM and use a secondary chain from there to the rear axle. That way, you can adjust the gearing to get the speed or torque you want and have all the advantages of the hub-motor.

Edit: On second look, you don't have a sprocket on the rear axle, but you still might be able to utilise that idea.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions - I am going to start with the BBS02 as its easy to fit and if it doesn't have the oomph needed I'll look into how to mount a hub motor.

Due to the design it's not easy to run a hub motor option on the rear wheels.

Cheers

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Imo the bbs 500w is not very powerful.The bpm 500 201 rpm will be more powerfull on most hills.This is where and what I would buy if I was you:

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_36&product_id=215

He stand behind his products,but best of all he can get you any spare to the motor so you never need to buy a new motor if something breaks
In the Bafang BBSxx's defense, most of them come restricted as I try to explain in post #5 of the following thread:

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/barfang-8fun-250w-mid-drive-help.23585/#post-296712

Reprogramming the controller unleashes the full potential, but opens up problems with warranty, extra drivetrain wear and possible overheating of the controller.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
In the Bafang BBSxx's defense, most of them come restricted as I try to explain in post #5 of the following thread:

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/barfang-8fun-250w-mid-drive-help.23585/#post-296712

Reprogramming the controller unleashes the full potential, but opens up problems with warranty, extra drivetrain wear and possible overheating of the controller.
yes,I know.I have had a 48v 500 bbs 02 20a and I have now a bbs02 750w with 25a infenion controller.both unrestricted.The 750w one is good.I wouldnt have anything less.But the bbshd is better in every way imo

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012

Interesting -stuff. I'll get it fitted see how it goes stock then think about having a play. Are the cables to reprogram easy to get hold of?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Are they 20" wheels?
If so I think you will find BBS02 more than enough power for hill climbing no matter the load.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
24 inch rear wheels, bought a 44t ring - I'll have a look over the weekend and see if fitting is as smooth as the YouTube clips and then see how it goes.

Thanks for the inputs

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
24 inch rear wheels, bought a 44t ring - I'll have a look over the weekend and see if fitting is as smooth as the YouTube clips and then see how it goes.

Thanks for the inputs
Its a bigger job laying the cables neatly than installing the drive.
Just make sure the motor is touching the frame in the direction torque will drive it ie, against the tube from the BB to fork, if you don't it will get there itself when under heavy load :) maybe that should be a :(

Reactions: trex

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Hello - having fun with the install today.

Motor has gone on nicely and the trike has a handy mount to put a torque arm on to prevent spinning and cable fouling.

Thats the good news, I am having a bit more fun with the speed sensor which looks like it will be a bit awkward to mount and requires a whooping 1.6m extension to the cable to get to the rear wheels.

I can see extension cables for sale abroad - does anyone sell them in the UK or is cutting and extending the cable an option? Can you source the Higo(??) connector Bafang use in the UK?

The unforeseen challenge is with the throttle fitting. I was expecting the usual where on the bars game to avoid getting in the way of gears etc. What surprised me was that the custom made handlebars were 0.7mm (ish) wider than a standard bar so I can barely force the throttle onto the bars - and when I do get it on a few inches the throttle doesn't move properly as the plastic inner has been deformed and prevents proper operation.

I have checked some older throttles from a GNG kit and they are the same size. Any ideas about an alternative mounting position or different throttle body that might work?

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What surprised me was that the custom made handlebars were 0.7mm (ish) wider than a standard bar so I can barely force the throttle onto the bars - and when I do get it on a few inches the throttle doesn't move properly as the plastic inner has been deformed and prevents proper operation.
You mean the tube is thicker? I would take a bit of emery paper to the handlebar end on that side.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

I can see extension cables for sale abroad - does anyone sell them in the UK or is cutting and extending the cable an option?
cut and extend, cover the joins with black heat shrink sleeve, will look neater.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Easiest cure is just use the PAS for now, it cuts in very early on the pedal rotation.
Long term how about a thumb throtle mounted on an accessory bracket similar to this (may not be the right size) http://www.banggood.com/22MM-Aluminium-Handlebar-Extender-Lamp-GPS-Phone-Bracket-Holder-For-Motorcycle-E-Bike-Bicycle-p-1030905.html
Set it up so the thumb throttle is just level with the grip and rotate to where is comfortable to operate.

Can you run the speed sensor to your front wheel?
I had to get an extension for my recumbent trike as the pedals are ~ 2m from the wheel :)

Last edited:

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. The handlebar mount looks like it could work if grinding the paint off the bars doesn't work.

If I choose to cut and extend the cable is it obvious which cable attaches to which when reconnecting, ie are they different colours? I have a fear of cutting the cable and then reconnecting it wrongly. Although with 3 cables it won't take too many tries to get it right..

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the 3 wires have different colours.
You don't have to guess.