Time for a new battery

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
I've had a Boxer Cargo Trike for 2 years. I got an extra battery when I bought it. Used them alternately for a total of 2200 miles.

After reading about batteries on this forum I wasn't expecting them to last too long. The motor is a 36v 250W rear hub and the batteries are labelled 20V 4400mAh.

Over the last month I've been using 1 power level higher than I usually use (on both batteries) and couldn't get up one new hill. A few days ago I did a Xmas card delivery/beer collection round trip of 36 miles. It was hard going and I struggled on what I call hills. Yesterday another card run and I couldn't get up a hill. Changed to a fully charged battery where I stopped and performance was how it used to be. Cut ride short and went home.

My intention was to have them recelled by BGA but Jimmy is off sick so they can't do them. I'll have them done when he's back but will buy one replacement in the meantime. The batteries are Dolphin 09 cases.

Question time:- Will any Dolphin battery just be a straight swap i.e no need for a new rack.

I see Hailong on the Eclipse website & HL, which I presume is Hailong, on Woosh. Would that mean a new rack?

Disclaimer:- I am a complete DIY disaster but my next door neighbour is an electronics buff and would do any necessary soldering.

D

Deleted member 4366

We need to know what voltage they are. That label was fitted so that they could be air-freighted. It bears no relationship to what's in the case. You should look at the charger to see what voltage is written on it. As long as you get the voltage right, any dolphin battery will fit, but it's worth paying a bit more for one with 30Q cells in, which you can get from Eclipse Bikes.

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
We need to know what voltage they are. That label was fitted so that they could be air-freighted. It bears no relationship to what's in the case. You should look at the charger to see what voltage is written on it. As long as you get the voltage right, any dolphin battery will fit, but it's worth paying a bit more for one with 30Q cells in, which you can get from Eclipse Bikes.
The charger is marked 'Output 42.0V 2.0A'.

I do have a multimeter. The leads were changed from probes to clips and it's now part of a fine wire welder made for me by my neighbour. I got some new probe leads but couldn't get a reading from the batteries when I tried. I'll get my neighbour to check them.

Thanks for the info re Eclipse. My browsing skills are obviously on a par with my multimeter use.

Off to order the battery.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The charger is marked 'Output 42.0V 2.0A'.

I do have a multimeter. The leads were changed from probes to clips and it's now part of a fine wire welder made for me by my neighbour. I got some new probe leads but couldn't get a reading from the batteries when I tried. I'll get my neighbour to check them.

Thanks for the info re Eclipse. My browsing skills are obviously on a par with my multimeter use.

Off to order the battery.
Might be teaching Grandma etc.
When you try to measure the battery voltage at the connecting pins, remember to switch it on.

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
Best laid plans .... I've been waiting for a builder to screed a third of my garage floor. He rang, the day I started this thread, to say he could do it the next day. Humped all the stuff to the other end of the garage. Result - couldn't get to battery or voltmeter.

Humped it all back today and the battery reads 42V. When switched on:).

I'll check with BGA in a week or so.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Humped it all back today and the battery reads 42V. When switched on:).
It's a 36 volt battery, these read 42 volts when fully charged and of course require a charger that can charge to that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Charger has always run hot and I hope to get a replacement from BGA when the batteries are recelled.
Chargers often run quite hot, so as it's been charging ok to 42 volts there's no need to change if for that reason alone.

• Informative
Reactions: smifee