Tip for touching up bike scratches!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My bike is a fairly cheap one, so it can get the odd scratch or two from general use, or just by adjusting equipment on the handlebars.

The solution? I use a paint marker to touch up damaged areas, keeping rust at bay and the bike cosmetically looking good.

Pentel Permanent Cellulose Paint Marker Pens

Mine's black, so the black marker matches well, but be aware that there is a limited range of colours.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Matt Black? Because I am folding and unfolding my trike (fitting out, not riding helas...) almost daily I have some scratch issues.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just use a permanent marker pen for small scratches ;) might try a paint pen tho if i get a big un.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
sometimes permanent marker, but it comes off after a while so i bought a market for hifi black goods and that lasts much better. other than that i use nail varnish or paint pen from halfords.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

garywfox

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2017
Nottingham
sometimes permanent marker, but it comes off after a while so i bought a market for hifi black goods and that lasts much better. other than that i use nail varnish or paint pen from halfords.
I hadn’t thought of nail varnish. Useful tip as I sometimes swap seat post/saddle and the mark I made has always worn off, so I end up faffing about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The solution? I use a paint marker to touch up damaged areas, keeping rust at bay and the bike cosmetically looking good.
Pentel Permanent Cellulose Paint Marker Pens
Mine's black, so the black marker matches well, but be aware that there is a limited range of colours.
A great recommendation.
I bought one to try coloring in the silver edge around my wheel rim since I have disc brakes and it works great, just de-greased first, really easy to do with no mess/overspray or smell. I have done 3 full wheels with 2 coats and I'm sure there is still some paint left in it.
The wheels now look awesome all blacked out.

Reactions: Fordulike