Tips for saving money when you still have to use the car :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I do try to use my electric bike as much as possible, but there are occasions where cycling or public transport is inconvenient, so the car is used instead.
I'm a stickler for keeping an eye on fuel economy, and over the last year the MPGs have dropped dramatically.
Also, the engine lacks the punch it had before the poor fuel economy.
The car gets a yearly service of the usual DIY stuff, air filter and oil and oil filter change, so the reduced fuel economy must be attributed to something else.
I will never go to a stealers unless I really really have to. Motoring is expensive enough as it is :eek:

So after doing a bit of research, I came across a couple of things that might free up a few horses and stop me from handing over my wage packet straight to BP or Shell.

One thing that gets overlooked at service time is the fuel filter. It makes sense that as the efficiency of a combustion engine relies on the correct air and fuel delivery, then if any of these two things are strangled in the system, then it will affect the running of the engine.

The second bit of research I came across is the fuel injectors. Apparently they are a precision part of an engine, and due to the fine tolerances can become partially blocked, resulting in poor combustion.

So, I popped onto Euro Car Parts website, ordered a new fuel filter, some fuel injector cleaner and a new air filter for good measure.

Fitted the air and fuel filter and poured in the injector cleaner. Took less than 30 mins.
Then took the car out for a good blast on the local roads, using lots of the rev range as some motoring forums recommend. Think it's known as an Italian tuneup :cool:

Hey presto, after about 100 miles (not done all in one day, I must add lol), I'm seeing an extra 5 MPGs on the readout. Acceleration has improved in leaps and bounds and the engine just feels more eager to rev and pull.
Won't take long for the savings at the pump to offset the cost of the parts, and then my wallet will be much happier :)

Who knows if it was the fuel filter or injector cleaner that did the trick.
I think the lesson learned is that a bit of preventative maintenance, whether bike or car, can go a long way.

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hey presto, after about 100 miles (not done all in one day, I must add lol), I'm seeing an extra 5 MPGs on the readout. Acceleration has improved in leaps and bounds and the engine just feels more eager to rev and pull.
Won't take long for the savings at the pump to offset the cost of the parts, and then my wallet will be much happier :)
Don't trust the read outs at all, the only sure way to check consumption is brim the tank, use most of it then brim the tank again, then do the maths.
I've never had a computer read out that's accurate in any car I've ever owned and guess what, they have always read optimistically:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't trust the read outs at all, the only sure way to check consumption is brim the tank, use most of it then brim the tank again, then do the maths.
I've never had a computer read out that's accurate in any car I've ever owned and guess what, they have always read optimistically:)
Very true, my current almost 3 year old car has always indicated about 5mpg better than the actual consumption. I'm sure it's to minimise complaints about cars not matching the mpg claims.

@Fordulike. Is your car a diesel?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I totally agree, you probably never get a true readout of MPGs, but the reading can give an indication of when the engine isn't running at its best ;)

Yes flecc it's a diesel. Read that these always respond well to a good thrashing now and again due to the EGR system. So glad mines not got a particulate filter, like so many of the newer cars have.
I do think that fuel filters get overlooked though. I don't think it's part of dealer's servicing schedule and what with reports of garage pumps being contaminated with water, does make sense to replace once in a while.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes flecc it's a diesel. Read that these always respond well to a good thrashing now and again
I thought it would be diesel. It's true of all ic engines that an occasional blast is good for them, at the very least boiling off the acids that accumulate in the oil when lightly used.

Personally I just use my car to the full with no attention to economy, it's my attitude to everything, use or don't use, never half use.

I do keep a record of consumption on the back of the petrol receipts slips just for interest though. Initially driven very carefully on a couple of 300 mile round trips, bedding it in, it recorded circa 47 mpg actual. I could drive it moderately and get around 37 mpg long term, but over the whole near three years I've consistently got just 31.2 mpg, simply from using all it's capabilities!

I think that would shock many!

Reactions: Dynamic Position

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I think that would shock many!
I used to have a 5 litre V8 Jeep, 18 round town and 28 on a long run.
Can't believe I was happy with that though it did make a lovely noise.
I'm more sensible now but so glad I had the experience.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Fuel consumption increases when cold, I expect than but my car and a mates have both started to use more than expected. I suspect poor quality fuel; it should be sold by weight not volume. Normally I get over 60mpg in a petrol engined automatic over a 12 month period.

Then again, you don't get the full gallon these days since the checks by weights and measures were relaxed.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
The computer can only work with the inputs it is given. My milage from a full tank of diesel will vary in a similar manner to the variance I get from a fully charged e-bike battery.

Using the car my milage range is affected by traffic more than the e-bike but weather, ambient temperature, wind including wind resistance and hills can and do reduce my range by up to 40%.

Tyre pressure of vehicle makes a fair contribution to fuel consumption whether in a car or on a bike.

How the car is driven will also affect fuel milage and longetivity of the vehicle. E-bikes similarly being affected by how they are ridden and looked after.

Generally though e-bike is better suited for the shorter journeys in traffic conditions adverse to a car. Having and using an e-bike can help you get more miles per gallon from your car.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I used to have a 5 litre V8 Jeep, 18 round town and 28 on a long run.
Can't believe I was happy with that though it did make a lovely noise.
I'm more sensible now but so glad I had the experience.
Similar with me, I've had large gas guzzlers, but they were only any good when the roads were far less crowded than they are today.

These days in the South East there's no point in large engine performances, all cars accelerate at the speed of the car at the head of the queue in front. That's maybe 20 seconds to 60 if very lucky, but more often only to 40.

Outside of motorways here, the frequency and close spacing of 40 limit zones is such that many drivers just stick at that, rendering the odd remaining 60 limit areas ineffective.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
my car an alto, in the summer it run fine ,great mpg 50+ as the days got cooler i noticed the temp gauge would drop very quickly, if i left it running on the drive it would go to norm when i drove about a mile it would to drop thus putting up the revs to1500, and using more fuel( ie as if running with choke out. Normal is 750 at idle on a warm engine ) So i put a sheet of metal plate in front of radiator car runs norm again, can take out in spring again .:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Stuffing a sheet of cardboard or similar between the radiator and grill was a popular trick in Winter years ago John, but the thermostat in the cooling system should do that job well enough on modern cars. Seems your Alto one isn't up to it. Unusual, since the Alto models have always been designed by Suzuki for best economy.

Mine's a Suzuki too, the SX4 SZ5, but with the Swift Sport 1600 engine in a higher weight 4 x 4 it was never going to be economical.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Stuffing a sheet of cardboard or similar between the radiator and grill was a popular trick in Winter years ago John, but the thermostat in the cooling system should do that job well enough on modern cars. Seems your Alto one isn't up to it. Unusual, since the Alto models have always been designed by Suzuki for best economy.

Mine's a Suzuki too, the SX4 SZ5, but with the Swift Sport 1600 engine in a higher weight 4 x 4 it was never going to be economical.
Being French, Citroen always did it with style;)

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Flecc had changed thermo, made no diffrence, have herd it is a design fault in altos , another fault with them is the fact you cant get a work shop manual for them even tried india for one suzuki use the TS 2000 computer for repairs, on them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks John, thought there must be some reason for it. Hot country design having an influence on the lapse perhaps?

Advertisers