Tonaro chain?.

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
I`ve tried two new 8 speed chains of different makes only for them to not run properly.Each one is trying to climb up or down the sprockets as it turns,but the old chain runs perfectly.Any ideas please?
TIA.......atheo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is usually due to the wear on the rear sprockets. The tooth profile and pitch no longer matches the new chain, causing it to ride up on the sprocket teeth, worst on the smaller high gear sprockets which wear the most.

Some cassettes allow the smaller sprockets to be changed, but if not, it usually means a new cassette of sprockets to match the new chain. The larger front chain wheel tends to be less affected.

What mileage have you done?

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
I discounted wear as the bike is only 8 months old and has done 60 miles a week in that time!
I have a push bike that has also Shimano gears and that has done many many more miles without any chain change issues.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's odd then, sprocket wear is certainly unlikely at only 2000 miles with your Shimnano Alivio gears. Chains do vary in the amount of rivet protusion on the sides, too much and the protuding bit can ride up the ramp profiling that Shimano press into the sides of their sprockets. That's only supposed to engage rivet-to-ramp when the chain is thrust sideways to expedite the gear change.

A Shimano chain should be ok, and I've always found SRAM chains run ok with Shimano's sprockets.

Advertisers