Tools

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
I want to get a set of tools just for bike maintanance (mainly so I can actually find them when I want them). To start with I intend to buy a set of hex wrenches (L shaped), crank puller, cable cutters, screwdrivers, then add to it as I need the tools for specific jobs.

Is it worth buying park tools or are there cheap alternatives that work as well. I've used cheap tools before and they often make the job harder or bend!

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
Home bargains sells a multi tool, with all the hex keys you require.
costs £2 or £3 pounds very strong, lidl also has them in regularly

• Disagree
Reactions: tommie

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
There is a cheap set on e-bay,seller hippoproduct,I think less than £20.00 delivered. That set is sold widely out of China,it isnt the quality of Park Tools but its ok for home use.
What I dont like about these guys is that they sell out of Leicester,without invoice or vat invoice,hence so cheap...your money is safe through Paypal but HMRC seem powerless to overcome the vat fraud,I think e bay frightens our customs...what happened to the old days of the revenue men with cutlasses????
KudosDave

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryV

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
My 'on bike' kit comprises:

3 Ali tyre levers
1 6" adjustable (£5, screwfix)
Puncture repair kit
Electrical tape
Topeak mini 6 Allen keys and cross head driver

The mini 6 is excellent. In addition to my leatherman, I carry it at all times now.

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=381049675365&alt=web

I then keep a separate kit for bigger jobs/refurbs that includes crank pullers, chain wrench, cassette/freewheel/crank tools and spoke wrenches.

I don't think you need to spend big bucks on park tools stuff. Screwfix gear is good enough for the home mechanic, and if you are carefull eBay will get you all the bike specific stuff.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
My 'on bike' kit comprises:

3 Ali tyre levers
1 6" adjustable (£5, screwfix)
Puncture repair kit
Electrical tape
Topeak mini 6 Allen keys and cross head driver

The mini 6 is excellent. In addition to my leatherman, I carry it at all times now.

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=381049675365&alt=web

I then keep a separate kit for bigger jobs/refurbs that includes crank pullers, chain wrench, cassette/freewheel/crank tools and spoke wrenches.

I don't think you need to spend big bucks on park tools stuff. Screwfix gear is good enough for the home mechanic, and if you are carefull eBay will get you all the bike specific stuff.
Thanks, it's knowing which bits on eBay are ok. I've had cheap tool sets before that were poorly sized. Just want a basic set of tools that can be relied on. Don't mind shelling out if I only have to do it once.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
You won't go wrong with Park and there's some merit in the saying money spent on good tools is never wasted.

My local bike shop likes Bondhus allen keys, they've performed well in their workshop.

The manager there suspects Bondhus might be making tools for Park, because they look very similar.

This is the set he got for me:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bondhus-14187-Offset-Screwdriver-Fold-Up/dp/B000E80FK8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1455439528&sr=8-12&keywords=bondhus+allen
Thanks for the tip, reviews all really good. Ordered a set.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
There is a cheap set on e-bay,seller hippoproduct,I think less than £20.00 delivered. That set is sold widely out of China,it isnt the quality of Park Tools but its ok for home use.
What I dont like about these guys is that they sell out of Leicester,without invoice or vat invoice,hence so cheap...your money is safe through Paypal but HMRC seem powerless to overcome the vat fraud,I think e bay frightens our customs...what happened to the old days of the revenue men with cutlasses????
KudosDave
I've been told they are investigating ebay "businesses" this year and letters will be dropping though letterboxes soon...they'll leave you alone if you're a millionaire, but try and make a buck on the side....

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I've been told they are investigating ebay "businesses" this year and letters will be dropping though letterboxes soon...they'll leave you alone if you're a millionaire, but try and make a buck on the side....
Steve...you are so right,they chase after the plumber who has done a £50 cash job but the losses from these e-bay and Amazon sellers are £ billions.
Obviously we all like to receive cheap product delivered to our door,I suspect most don't care about invoices. These companies,mostly out of Hong Kong are defrauding HMRC of import duty and import vat,they sell at prices where the vat is the profit so honest UK companies cannot compete.
But of more concern are the indirect costs,loss of income tax due to not employing locally,loss of corporation tax due to lower UK profits.
The solution is to raid the fulfillment warehouses based in the UK and ask for sale and vat invoices,impound the stock until invoices are produced,make an example of a couple and the rest will stop.
Many of them also defraud Royal Mail by under declaring parcel numbers but they have an imminent new system to stop that.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
KudosDave
Strange, they are VAT registered as below:

VAT NO.: 151103880

Here's the link to that toolkit.

Last edited:
Reactions: shemozzle999

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Shemozzle:

Returns Invalid VAT number

This is the webpage the VAT number is published on.

I wonder how ebay feel about companies publishing false VAT numbers?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
E-bay dont care,as long as they are collecting their fees.
As a trial we bought something off Hippoproduct,we chased hard for any form of invoice,they wont respond.
I am not surprised that the vat Number is invalid,also their address is in Chinese and very vague. Some of these companies give a UK address but on checking its usually non existent or not relevant.
The amazing thing is that HMRC must know about these companies but do nothing about them.
I would like to sell that bicycle tool kit, but at £19.90 it is impossible to compete,note he has sold hundreds of them,a fair and honest price would be about £30.00.
Thanks for the interest from other forum members.
It only slightly affects my business but there are some traders in the UK who have been forced out of business by these guys,especially in the electronics industry.
KudosDave

Reactions: flecc

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks Shemozzle:

Returns Invalid VAT number
:rolleyes:
This is the webpage the VAT number is published on.

I wonder how ebay feel about companies publishing false VAT numbers?
Forget using using the HMRC system we are controlled by the EU:rolleyes:

Just entering the number only after selecting the member state returns the following details:

Additional tools

VIES VAT number validation
Yes, valid VAT number
Member State GB
VAT Number GB 151103860
Date when request received 2016/02/19 14:29:39
Name ZHONG XIANGPING
Address E-BEST OFFICE
132-134 GREAT ANCOATS STREET
MANCHESTER

M4 6DE
Consultation Number

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just entering the number only after selecting the member state returns the following details:

Additional tools

Yes, valid VAT number
Member State GB
VAT Number GB 151103860
Date when request received 2016/02/19 14:29:39
Name ZHONG XIANGPING
Address E-BEST OFFICE
132-134 GREAT ANCOATS STREET
MANCHESTER

M4 6DE
Consultation Number
It didn't for me and still isn't. I've just tried twice more and both times returned invalid number.

On all occasions I've just selected GB and only entered the number. I've tried that in either set of boxes or in both sets and always with the same result.

How did you get that result Shemozzle?

Here's what I get:

No, invalid VAT number (please refer to FAQ, questions 7, 11, 12, 13 and 20 for more information).
Member State GB
VAT Number GB 151103880
Date when request received 2016/02/19 14:44:51
Name ---
Address ---
Consultation Number

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
It didn't for me and still isn't. I've just tried twice more and both times returned invalid number.

On all occasions I've just selected GB and only entered the number. I've tried that in either set of boxes or in both sets and always with the same result.

How did you get that result Shemozzle?

Here's what I get:

No, invalid VAT number (please refer to FAQ, questions 7, 11, 12, 13 and 20 for more information).
Member State GB
VAT Number GB 151103880
Date when request received 2016/02/19 14:44:51
Name ---
Address ---
Consultation Number
From your link in post #13

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44PC-Bike-Cycling-Bicycle-Maintenance-Repair-Hand-Wrench-Tool-Kit-Set-Box-Case-/261662063161?hash=item3cec463a39

Under contact details at the bottom of the posting it reveals their VAT No. as

GB 151103860 not GB 151103880 as shown on the shop page.