Torq diagnostic LED

Spauld

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2008
Just took delivery of my new Torq on Friday. I'm very happy with it so far, but there are a couple of things I am wondering about. Maybe I should start with what seems most important; the diagnostic LED is blinking in a series of 5 blinks at a time. This suggests there is a problem with the throttle, but it seems to be working fine. What gives?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Rather odd, I haven't heard of this before, but some of the diagnostic indicators can also mean other things. For example 8 flashes means Hall sensor in motor faulty, but damp in the controller can produce the same signal.

However, the most likely thing I can think of is a slightly high resistance on a throttle connection, most likely at the throttle end connector in the cable. You could try unwrapping the insulation around the connector and then unplugging and replugging the connector several times to see if that clears the signals.

If not, best to refer to the supplier as it's a new bike.

Spauld

Apr 22, 2008
OK, thanks Flecc, I appreciate that feedback. I'll explore this further when I get home this evening. While I've got your ear perhaps you could consider another issue I'm having. The front disc brake does not stop the bike smoothly and evenly. When the brake is applied, there is a sort of pulsing that takes place. It's as if the disc is warped so that it meets up with the brake pad only once per rotation, rather than the pad staying in full contact with the disc throughout the braking process. The box the bike was shipped in was badly damaged on that end. I opened the box and inspected the bike before taking delivery, and everything "looked" fine. I now wonder if it may have been dropped from a loading dock somewhere along the way (yikes!). Here's to hoping you will tell me this is common and easily corrected with a simple adjustment! LOL

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There were some faulty discs which were warped, so you might have one of those. If you spin the front wheel with it lifted you may be able to see a movement from side to side or a region where the disc appears thicker between the pads as it rotates

If it appears faulty, it should go back to the supplier for both faults to be corrected, just leave the throttle problem to be repaired at the same time.

Did you get it from 50cycles or Cyclepoint?

Spauld

Apr 22, 2008
OK, good advice. I'll check that disc tonight too.

Nope, I live in the states (Denver area) so unfortunately, I had
to purchase my Torq sight-unseen from an outfit in Seattle. So of
course getting things fixed by my supplier will be a bit of a problem.
One BIG downside to not buying things locally. Sadly, the pedelec
thing is not as evolved as it is on your side of the pond.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is difficult Spauld, but since you bought from Eric Sundin's company, ElectricVehiclesNW, you should be in good hands. Perhaps they could organise for a suitable local cycle dealership to swap the disc for you if that's necessary, but best to pass the problem back to them initially, since the bike should be fit for purpose and it's clearly not quite right at present.

Spauld

Apr 22, 2008
Right-O. Eric and the other staff have been quite pleasant to work with to date. I will contact them today to discuss. I was able to explore things a bit last night but did not get to my original concern (the diagnostic light problem). I could certainly see that the disc had a slight wobble to it, but thought that I also saw the same degree of play in the front tire. That is to say it does not spin completely evenly. Hmmm, I wonder if the front wheel/axel is not properly seated? That's assuming the disk and wheel are integral in such a way. I'm fairly competent mechanically, however it's a bit convoluted with all the gear that's mounted in that area and I'm not comfortable trying to make my own "adjustments" just yet.

Spauld

Apr 22, 2008
Follow-up/conclusion

For anyone interested or using the search engine on this subject:

Electric vehicles NW indicated that the LED diagnostic light should in fact blink in a series of 5 blinks whenever the bike is powered on, but the throttle switch is in the off position. I suppose this makes sense since the module is recognizing that the connection to the throttle has been interupted. To verify this, I just need to make sure the LED is constantly on when the throttle switch is turned on and the bike power is on as well. I seem to recall seeing the LED in this state while riding (and using the throttle) but need to revisit this to make sure. You know I don't look down there very often while zooming along ....for obvious reasons.

As to the pulsing front disc brake, the service tech suggested that this is actually quite common and might be adjusted simply by tightening the brake calibre. It was recommended that I inspect how much the disc is being deflected when the front brake is applied to determine if either calibre is out of adjustment. I asked if there was any danger to damaging anything while operating the disc brake in it's current state and was told it was constructed of spring steel and will not be damaged, whether either or both of the calibres are out of adjustment.

Does anyone know where I might find some step-by-step instructions on adjusting the inside brake calibre?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That 5 LED blink must be new to this model's controller in that case, since it's not true of the previous eZee models.

Sorry I can't answer on that disc brake as I don't know which it is. The adjustments are usually specific to each make of brake, but perhaps the dealer will either refer you to suitable instructions or give some fuller advice on doing it.

Advertisers