Torq Motor Jammed

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi All,

I have a jammed front wheel on my Torq 1. First thought was the hall sensors as before it froze up it was making a noise like a man building a shed. Cleaned the connections etc, but no solution. When the bike ground to a halt the motor sounded like it was whirring round quite happily inside the housing, but the wheel itself is almost immovable.

Any ideas?

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi All,

I have a jammed front wheel on my Torq 1. First thought was the hall sensors as before it froze up it was making a noise like a man building a shed. Cleaned the connections etc, but no solution. When the bike ground to a halt the motor sounded like it was whirring round quite happily inside the housing, but the wheel itself is almost immovable.

Any ideas?
No good ones, I'm afraid. No doubt Flecc will jump in here, but if the motor runs but the wheel is jammed it does sound as though the internal reduction gears have come adrift. Serious expense. First thing - by you or an 'expert' - would be to dismantle it and take a look.

Rog.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it seems to be the nylon orbital gears have shredded, effectively jamming the hub internal rack to the spindle:

I don't know if the rack is removable from the hub shell. If it is, Cyclepoint may have spares for the gear components.

Opening up the motor is easy, note the order of spindle components and watch out for any shim washers on the spindle at the rear of the motor core when you withdraw it. When re-assembling, fully tighten the outer spindle nut on the sealed end of the hub first with any shims in place, this providing the correct registration. Then it's the hub cover back on and the wheel refitted.

N.B. The Cyclepoint website server is down at present, but their phone number is 01273 672555.

Last edited:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Many thanks both - this is what I feared.

I will take the thing to bits on Sunday and have a look.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it does turn out to need a new motor, the eZee spare motors for the Torq 1 were usually held as complete wheels, making replacement easy.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
If it does turn out to need a new motor, the eZee spare motors for the Torq 1 were usually held as complete wheels, making replacement easy.
Thanks Flecc. To your knowledge would the Torq 2 wheel be a 'plug and play' replacement or would that involve controller etc. Closely related, is the Torq 2 motor a better motor and therefore the one to go for other things being equal?

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
How many miles did you get out of it?
Just currious.

Thanks.
Jo
Hi Jo,

I have had the bike for almost 2 1/2 years, used it every day and done just under 10 000 miles. I do confess that this includes a lot of stop starts and I am probably guilty of being lazy and using power rather too early when pulling away.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Flecc. To your knowledge would the Torq 2 wheel be a 'plug and play' replacement or would that involve controller etc. Closely related, is the Torq 2 motor a better motor and therefore the one to go for other things being equal?
No it's not a ready replacement, I think it's width is different and it would need the controller etc. replaced as well. It's a bit slower by about 2 mph but supposed to be a better climber. David at A to B insists it's not and prefers his Torq 1, so one can only guess there's not much difference.

There shouldn't be any difficulty in eZee getting replacements since they are still Suzhou Bafang's customers for the same 8fun motor, the one for the Quando II since their own motor isn't made in a rear wheel version.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks again, Flecc.

I have just phoned Cyclepoint and they can get me one by July - none in stock. Motor only for approx £175 or complete wheel for approx £250. They can also do gear components.

That is pretty good and it is a relief to know that if the worst comes to the worst I can soon (ish) be back on the road.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Since I just bought an Ezee Torq -- I will ask if perhaps you lubed the motor at 5000 miles, as that's what they recommend? Or maybe that's for the 2 only?

(just barely finished reading the Torq info myself, though admittedly, there's not that much to read)

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Since I just bought an Ezee Torq -- I will ask if perhaps you lubed the motor at 5000 miles, as that's what they recommend? Or maybe that's for the 2 only?

(just barely finished reading the Torq info myself, though admittedly, there's not that much to read)
My next post will perhaps answer that question. (For those who can't wait, the answer is a decisive 'no but I should have!').

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I managed to get back after a day in 'Thomas Land' with three children under six and somehow still had the energy to pull out the motor.

Compare these pictures with Flecc's earlier in the thread:

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

The nylon gears have been all but obliterated, though after a bit of a clean the rest of the motor is fine.

I think Cyclepoint have some gears in stock and will check on Monday morning.

(Related to this, please see my new thread entitled, 'E-bikers are the Best People')

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not too much grease left there Django, but a bit of water has found it's way in! :eek:

That's your 10,000 miles, my photos were of a 1400 mile motor, naturally still in pristine order.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not surprised by the water. After my first foray into the rain a week or so after buying the bike, it needed the hairdryer treatment on the contoller. Since then, I have ridden it through rain, hail, snow and ice - even through a couple of fords - and (externally at least) it has seemingly become immune.

I must give the old girl a full overhaul and then look after her better. :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I lightly smear the wells either side of the motor shell with grease and then squirt silicone rubber into the recess on the outside of the bearings. That almost completely seals against water entry without adding friction to the rotation.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I managed to get back after a day in 'Thomas Land' with three children under six and somehow still had the energy to pull out the motor.

Compare these pictures with Flecc's earlier in the thread:

(Related to this, please see my new thread entitled, 'E-bikers are the Best People')
The phrase 'Comprehensively Donald Ducked' springs readily to mind....

Rog.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
The phrase 'Comprehensively Donald Ducked' springs readily to mind....

Rog.
Hi Rog,

Yep, that probably sums it up! I think regular greasing and not applying power until well under way are going to be on the agenda from now on. :eek: