Torq Tumble

C

Cyclezee

Whilst riding on a Redway (MK speak for cycle route) this morning, I was overtaking a disabled person on an electric buggy (yes my Torq is that fast), being somewhat startled to find they had the largest and most savage German Shepherd (on another occasion, I might have called it a cute puppy).
I took evasive action to avoid the snarling beast by riding off the tarmac and on to the grass margain. On trying to return to the tarmac I clipped a concrete kerb hidden by the grass and tumbled base over apex on to the hard stuff, not a pretty sight.
The bike suffered a smashed but still functioning throttle, broken bell and the rear wheel was knocked out of alignment. I acquired a skinned knee and elbow, heavily bruised hip and shoulder.
I rode the 3 miles home with rear tyre rubbing against the prop stand.
My wife was none too impressed when she saw the blood running down my leg, but her nursing training soon took over, "you had better get yourself cleaned up and don't drip blood over the carpet":eek:
On close examination, the bike had very little damage. After re aligning the rear wheel and replacing the damaged throttle with a spare I bought from 50c when I got the bike, it is as good new apart from the bell which I discarded.

How lucky am I ........... again:confused:

J:eek: hn

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear of the accident John, but pleased the bike is ok.

There's two ladies local to me who are stuck in mobility carriages and both have two German shepherds each accompanying them. They too are very protective and wary of anyone they don't know getting close to their mistresses, so I can understand one reacting to a bike being close.

Did you get any sympathy from the dog owner?

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Flecc,

The dog owner remained silent, probably shocked by what he had witnessed.
Apart from the expletive as I took the tumble, I said nothing due to feeling highly embarressed:eek:

J:) hn

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Dogs dogs dogs

Aldby, you sure were lucky that the dog didn´t go after you while you were on your a..e. Setting aside your admirable sense of humour, it looks like you must be hurting. Anyway, dogs are one of the reasons why my riding has become less adventurous. None of the off beaten track for me where stray mean dogs are galore.
This from a Belgium shepherd owner and absurdly dog lover.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Poppy,

The dog was on one of those extendable leads and pretty much out of control. I'm usually quite careful when riding in the vicinity of dogs as they are quite unpredictable, this one surprised me.
Yes, you are right it does hurt, but fortunately I didn't break any bones.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi there.
I haven't posted for some time.
I got muscled into the kerb by a car in March and came off my Pro Connect.
Strained my left hand badly, Fractured right wrist and I used my knee as a big brake across the road. The skin was right down to the bone.
The wrists are fine now, though its took ages for the knee to heal.
Its still hasen't healed fully yet. Everytime I have a shower the skin peels right off.
The bike is OK, though I think the pedal could be a little bent.

I'm glad your OK though.

Regards Bob.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Sorry to hear about your accidents guys.
I had a very near-miss with a Tesco lorry last week.
Do you think someone up there has got it in for e-bikers?

Get well soon..
BW
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you think someone up there has got it in for e-bikers?

musicbooks
I think someone up there has it in for all two wheelers, from bikes to motorbikes.

If there's any mathematical progression in this, I'd hate to unicycle. :eek:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
There's a chap round our way who cycles to work on a unicycle, it always looks more effort than it is worth.

C

Cyclezee

Hi there.
Strained my left hand badly, Fractured right wrist and I used my knee as a big brake across the road. The skin was right down to the bone.
Its still hasen't healed fully yet. Everytime I have a shower the skin peels right off.

I'm glad your OK though.

Regards Bob.
Sorry to hear about your accident Bob, It makes my fall sound quite trivial. Hope you get well soon.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Hi there.

I'm glad your OK though.

Regards Bob.
I say, what a nasty tumble that you took! If it´s me I´m sure I won´t ride again. It sounds quite serious to me. Were you riding too fast?

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I say, what a nasty tumble that you took! If it´s me I´m sure I won´t ride again. It sounds quite serious to me. Were you riding too fast?
Hi Poppy,
Im fine!
Its just the usual thing. The wrong place at the wrong time.
I'm just confined to weekend and after work riding though now.
Ive got a promotion, so I have to use the car now.
I still love the bike though.
I wanted to ask a question though after my knee injury to anyone.
Are knee protectors worth the wearing?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wanted to ask a question though after my knee injury to anyone.
Are knee protectors worth the wearing?
For normal cycling on the road I'd usually say no, but this could change according to your knee injury. If that injury you suffered has affected the joint as well as the soft tissues, you wouldn't want to risk further damage which could have long term mobility consequences. In that case the precaution of a knee protector in case of a further accident could be a good idea.

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
I think someone up there has it in for all two wheelers, from bikes to motorbikes.

If there's any mathematical progression in this, I'd hate to unicycle. :eek:
Yep, when the first brake blocks wore down on my ebike I went and bought some where you just replace the pads and the metalwork stays in place, the new brakes were so good I went right over the handlebars when I had to brake suddenly going down a very steep hill (wasn't even going all that fast either).
Full flip & landed on my back, mp3 player came unhooked from my trousers and bounced on the ground but didn't break, the saddle took most of the crash force and bent down on one side.

Unicycle? this one looks fun actually:
FiveFWD - Anywhere, anytime, Enicycle! by The Gadget Show's Ortis Deley
(if you can get the video to play that is...)

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
John, Bob, Haku,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accidents, but relieved you are all, more or less, ok.

When I fell off and banged myself once, it took more than 3 months for my knee and elbow to fully recover. I now view knee and elbow protectors in the same class as helmets. Its a question of matching protection to risk. A knee or elbow injury may actually be more likely than a head injury, but a head injury could be more serious. I don't wear them for normal riding but I put on the whole kit for serious events.

Nick

Last edited: