Torque Arms

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I`m fitting my Cyclezee torque arms just now, I`m going to fit them on the RHS of the bike, (opp side of the discs) as in this photo (not my bike) with 2 jubilee clips, I`m trying to get my head round which way the stress forces are, IE in the photo, would the motor be pulling down the way or pushing up the way. Cheers.

oops, better with a photo https://goo.gl/photos/ttq85fQtRrzXQgbJ7

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Please be aware that the strength of jubilee clips are compromised at the point that they bend sharply on the torque arm. There could be a massive amount of force exerted at that point, if the wheel nuts aren't as tight as they could be.

I don't want my post to sound like scaremongery, but proper use of a torque arm on a front wheel is highly important, from a face plant point of view.

If you can squeeze a third clip on, that would be better.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've seen those jubilee clips snap. I wouldn't use them. It would be much better to make your own P bracket out of 1.6mm steel, chuck the slotted part and make your own tie-bar out of 3mm steel plate. Use the jubilee clip as a stop for the P bracket by fixing it underneath against it - only round the fork.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Cheers for that Ford n D8ve, I`m not happy with the jubilee clips either, but for the moment, they are better than nothing, on my to do list is to get a clamping type bracket custom made for the fork and attach the torque arm to that, a third clips not feasible, no room, if it was a 500w and upwards hub, I wouldn't chance it, but it`s only a 250w and I`m not powering up hills, I do most of the work, and I`m seldom above 1st assist out of 5 levels. I looked at the idea of P clips, but the only ones I came across were thin crap, more like cable clips, and the jubilee clips were much stronger, what type clips had you in mind D8ve. This is what I have ended up with for just now.

https://goo.gl/photos/tHmqRJTEci65d4UT7

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I just re-read, and noticed you said make a P clip, I`ll look into that, another thought I had was an exhaust clamp with a right angled bracket fixed to the exhaust clamp bolts and that fixed to the torque arm, might look a bit messy, but not as bad as a nose with no skin.

• :D
Reactions: Fordulike
D

Deleted member 4366

The drop-outs aren't designed to take any torque from the axle. If your forks are made of light alloy, the constant changing torque will eventually make them crack.

I make a P bracket by cutting the right length and width of 16g steel, drill a hole in each end and wrap it around so that the two holes are together, but with a gap between them. When you tighten a bolt through it, it tightens and grips the fork.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Thanks for that explanation, its a lot clearer now, the word spinout was a bit misleading for me, although I`m sure that is also an issue you come across. I`ll have a look in the workshop tomorrow for some suitable steel offcuts or head down to our local DIY store, they have a good selection of mild steel plate and box section, nothing a 4" grinder cant sort, I have a good selection of various pipe diameters to use as a former, might need a bit of heat too. There is a very slight bit of play where the bottom torque arm fits over the axle, which is why I asked which direction the forces are, is it worth trying to get tension on the arm by lifting the P bracket up as far as it will go before tightening it, thanks again.

PS. Its not that clear in the photo, but is that the P bracket you have used in your photo of the black Extreme bike you built.

PPS. I found a better closeup of it in your photobucket.

PPPS I see that you have torque bracket mounted forward of the forks, I have it to the rear, Is there any advantage in having it forward.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

PS. Its not that clear in the photo, but is that the P bracket you have used in your photo of the black Extreme bike you built.

PPS. I found a better closeup of it in your photobucket.

PPPS I see that you have torque bracket mounted forward of the forks, I have it to the rear, Is there any advantage in having it forward.
No, it's a jubilee clip and it broke. there's another torque arm on the otherside more securely fixed to the brake caliper. It held the wheel on, but both drop-outs snapped.

I prefer the torque arms fitted to the front of the fork for a strong motor, otherwise i just use a single one to the brake caliper:

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
No, it's a jubilee clip and it broke. there's another torque arm on the otherside more securely fixed to the brake caliper. It held the wheel on, but both drop-outs snapped.

Ouch, even with torque arms it happens, you got me thinking now, I just googled steel suspension forks and they are quite cheap.

Ok, for just now,front of forks it is then, wish I could fit the torque arm to the brake caliper too, never mind, I`ll get there, Cheers.

Ouch, even with torque arms it happens, you got me thinking now, I just googled steel suspension forks and they are quite cheap.

Ok, for just now,front of forks it is then, wish I could fit the torque arm to the brake caliper too, never mind, I`ll get there, Cheers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

QUOTE="JohnnyGM7LSI, post: 349188, member: 19191"]

[/QUOTE]

I was running that motor at 64v and 30 amps = 2KW

You don't have to worry so much with a normal setup of 36v and 15 amps = 500W.

motomech

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2016
Tucson Az.
The thing about torque arms is, after several builds, one accumulates enough bits and pieces that it makes it easier to fab a TA where the genaric one won't fit.
Even so, I couldn't get anything to work mounting one to one side of an EZee to a Rocky Mountain MTB.
So I ordered the pricey V4 from Grin. When it arrived, I was suprised at how small it was, but it worked;100_0066.JPG

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
QUOTE="JohnnyGM7LSI, post: 349188, member: 19191"]

I was running that motor at 64v and 30 amps = 2KW

You don't have to worry so much with a normal setup of 36v and 15 amps = 500W.[/QUOTE]

Ta D8ve, that's a bit reassuring, and mine I take it is limited to 250W.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
The thing about torque arms is, after several builds, one accumulates enough bits and pieces that it makes it easier to fab a TA where the genaric one won't fit.
Even so, I couldn't get anything to work mounting one to one side of an EZee to a Rocky Mountain MTB.
So I ordered the pricey V4 from Grin. When it arrived, I was suprised at how small it was, but it worked;View attachment 17235
Cheers for that, I`ve not accumulated any yet, I`ll get over this one first, maybe its just the photo, but by the looks of it, your axle only comes half way through your axle nut, that was the dilemma I had with fitting it to the caliper side, the axle only came 3/4 the way thru.