Torque sensor for Panasonic compact rear hub motor.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
Hi All , My name is Richard and I live in Youghal , Cork , Ireland.
I bought a KTM E-Style P In 2014. It's the one with the Panasonic rear hub compact motor and electrics.
The motor is 47V 8.8 Ah 412 wh.
My mechanic is 90% sure that the torque sensor is damaged.
Does anyone know where I can get a torque sensor for this bike.
Thanks … Richie

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
I can’t help you with your question only too suggest you try ktm direct
They are on here as ktm industries
Good luck with your quest

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
Hi Wicky, Thanks very much for your help. I actually have Colin Williams name and number in front of me this morning and I am about to call him. My bike is 5 years old next month and it's the best purchase I have ever made. It's given me great service and performed flawlessly up to now , it's got just 12ooo mls done. The little compact hub motor is amazing for the size of it as you well know. Do you have any kind of service manual with your bike ? My mechanic thinks it's the torque sensor but he's not certain. I will let you know how I get on ! Thanks and best regards … Richie

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I remember I had some paperwork with the bike but no idea where I stashed it! but I do have some digital files inc. a general KTM owners manual. Not quite a detailed 'Haynes' service manual as all components i.e. brakes, gears, motor of the bike are from differing sources.

https://cl.ly/856474cdedf4/download/140422_Rear%2520hub%2520unit_pedelec_EN-3.PDF

https://cl.ly/419326f5df67/download/Ebikes_Basics_Guide_Web.pdf

https://cl.ly/28edb46df12f/download/Cat2014_KTM%2520-%2520motor%2520specs.pdf

https://cl.ly/c2263de86967/download/Gears%2520Mannual.pdf

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
Hi and thanks for the files, I actually had those but had lost them, it's so long since I had looked them up. It's good to have them again. The bike shop where I bought the bike is still a KTM dealer so he contacted KTM and they have sent the torque sensor to him and he should have it early next week. He doesn't have a diagnostic tool for the Panasonic system, Panasonic wont supply it unless someone there has done the training course. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the sensor will solve my problem. I miss my bike sooo much, its like a part of me is missing. I made a decision some time back not to drive motor vehicles anymore and to live the rest of my life using my bikes and public transport. Thanks again and I will keep you posted … Regards Richie

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sounds promising Richie, hope you are back on the road soon. It's reassuring for other owners to know that KTM can still provide parts for, in ebike terms, quite an old machine.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
Thanks , I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Last night I watched a youtube clip of the new American distributor launching Panasonic e-bikes at some bike show in the US. He said that Panasonic have been making motors for bikes in japan for the past 45 years. He said that the failure rate for their e-bike systems is .04%. I really can believe that , my bike is 6 or more years since manufacture and has 12000 mls on the clock and still gives a 100% charge every night.

Reactions: flecc and Wicky

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
Hello all, I'm delighted to say that my bike is back on the road today. KTM sent the torque sensor and my bike shop fitted it this morning. It cost €110 and €65 to fit. Considering that the bike was in use every day for the past 5 years , this is a small price to pay. For those of you with this type of system , it's nice to know that KTM still stock the parts. I would like to thank you all for your help, it was much appreciated ! Best Regards and Safe Cycling . . . Richard

Nick Lazar

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2023
Hi All , My name is Richard and I live in Youghal , Cork , Ireland.
I bought a KTM E-Style P In 2014. It's the one with the Panasonic rear hub compact motor and electrics.
The motor is 47V 8.8 Ah 412 wh.
My mechanic is 90% sure that the torque sensor is damaged.
Does anyone know where I can get a torque sensor for this bike.
Thanks … Richie
Hello Richard!
Where do you find this sensor?I have the same problem and I don”t know where I can buy this sensor!Thank you!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Take the torque sensor out and see if the strain guage has detatched. If it has, glue it back on with superglue and see if it works OK. That might save you a lot of expense and waiting.