anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Don't see any Torque sensor shown and the spec on the motor doesn't look that brilliant in terms of peak output. Perhaps they are emulating a torque system by way of a sine wave controller, which maybe isn't what you are looking for. Pity - we're looking at torque sensors right now.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Don't see any Torque sensor shown and the spec on the motor doesn't look that brilliant in terms of peak output. Perhaps they are emulating a torque system by way of a sine wave controller, which maybe isn't what you are looking for. Pity - we're looking at torque sensors right now.
if it's a xofo motor, the torque sensor is built inside the motor. The freewheel is attached to the outer ring. When you push on the pedals, the outer ring compresses the spring, thus reduces the relative distance between the 8 Hall sensors on the two rings. The output of these Hall sensors measure the pedaling force. It has a very natural response:

the only thing wrong with this motor is the motor cover is a bit thin, does not hold the brake rotor well.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks. Found it.

Don't see any Torque sensor shown and the spec on the motor doesn't look that brilliant in terms of peak output.
250 W nominative 350 W constant -> 600 W peak like most hub motors on the market.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I stand corrected again. Apologies all. Not sure 600W peak is enough.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's 100W more than the Bosch motor.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
that sounds interesting. I rode a giant twist lite with a torque sensor and and really liked the feel..it does bring on the power as you need it. I guess you need a compatible controller for a torque sensor. Are there any other torque sensor kits about.... oh dear now what for next build .. ts motor or xiognda double speed..in a full sus frame..damn.. think I got the bug ;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I stand corrected again. Apologies all. Not sure 600W peak is enough.
My motor peaks at 540 W (624 W at full charge) which is plenty for me and I live in the Basque Country... Probably not enough if you wanted to use a throttle but if you wanted to use a throttle here you would probably need a couple of 20 Ah batteries to get anywhere interesting! Or stick to riding around town on the flat.

I am wondering if the extra 170 € is a worthwhile expense. I think I would want a test ride before committing.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
My motor peaks at 540 W (624 W at full charge) which is plenty for me and I live in the Basque Country... Probably not enough if you wanted to use a throttle but if you wanted to use a throttle here you would probably need a couple of 20 Ah batteries to get anywhere interesting! Or stick to riding around town on the flat.

I am wondering if the extra 170 € is a worthwhile expense. I think I would want a test ride before committing.
There's a bit of feedback and discussion about Xofo at the Endless Sphere Forums. I don't have any experience of them personally but that forum (I'm sure you're aware) is a tad more technical and nerdy than this and I do turn to it for background info... Still always the case of weighing up one view against another of course.

Last edited: