Touring: battery charging questions

Naileddownslug

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2015
I'm thinking of doing a 280 mile trip from the South East back to my family home town in the North East at some point over the summer. I'd like to do it over 4 days, 70 miles per day. I'd overnight with friends or at hotels along the way, so would be traveling very light, probably with just a rack bag.

The problem is that my 612Wh battery seems to give me perhaps a 50 mile range if I ration the power carefully, spending most of my time in economy mode. So I'm thinking about getting top up charges each day. I envisage stopping for lunch at a pub and charging the battery for an hour while I eat and rest, then doing the same again a couple of hours later. The battery is easily removable from the bike.

Has anyone tried this? Have you had any problems or were pub/cafe owners happy to oblige? (I'd ask permission first off course).

Second question. My bike is a Kalkhoff. The battery can be charged off the bike via a cradle, alternatively the charging lead can be plugged directly into the battery while it's on the bike. Can I plug the charging lead directly into the battery while it's off the bike, thereby dispensing with the cradle? Or is this dangerous in some way? Obviously I'd rather not have to carry the cradle around if I didn't need to.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've not tried charging an ebike battery in the manner you suggest, but have charged my laptop in various pubs and cafes.

Never had a problem.

Last time was in a Starbucks which had a twin socket just above the table.

That must be for customers who want to charge devices.

Only problem I can foresee is the size of the battery might cause staff to fear you were going to use too much juice or blow their electrics.

With that in mind, I would wander in carrying just the charger and ask something like: "Can I plug my bike charger in?"

Then bring in the battery in your backpack and put it discretely under your table.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
I can't help with the lunchtime question, but I can say that the Kalkhoff battery can be charged off the bike without using the cradle. This was a question for me since one of my main reasons for getting the bike was a journey that required an overnight stay and a recharge so I checked with 50 cycles before purchase, since other wise I would have needed a second charger.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I'm thinking of doing a 280 mile trip from the South East back to my family home town in the North East at some point over the summer. I'd like to do it over 4 days, 70 miles per day. I'd overnight with friends or at hotels along the way, so would be traveling very light, probably with just a rack bag.

The problem is that my 612Wh battery seems to give me perhaps a 50 mile range if I ration the power carefully, spending most of my time in economy mode. So I'm thinking about getting top up charges each day. I envisage stopping for lunch at a pub and charging the battery for an hour while I eat and rest, then doing the same again a couple of hours later. The battery is easily removable from the bike.

Has anyone tried this? Have you had any problems or were pub/cafe owners happy to oblige? (I'd ask permission first off course).

Second question. My bike is a Kalkhoff. The battery can be charged off the bike via a cradle, alternatively the charging lead can be plugged directly into the battery while it's on the bike. Can I plug the charging lead directly into the battery while it's off the bike, thereby dispensing with the cradle? Or is this dangerous in some way? Obviously I'd rather not have to carry the cradle around if I didn't need to.
What is your level of fitness? I would say 70 miles a day over 4 days is overambitious for a moderate cyclist, In my youth ( that's me in in my avatar!) I was a very strong rider and used to riding long distances over varied terrain, until I had to retire from club cycling due to injury.
On an e-bike theoretically you could cover 50 miles in 3 half ,4 hours ,by which time the battery would be spent.

Better to aim for 50 miles split in half gives time to see the trees and smell the flowers, and a top up charge during the lunch time stop, or anywhere you should want to stop along the way.

I own a Kalkhoff agattu C 11,bought it in anticipation of doing touring rides such as yours, but would not entertain the idea of a 70 mile daily distance

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
I charged up a Bosch batteriy in a bar/restaurant in Italy last summer, The staff were a bit surprised, but helpful. The power point was not very convenient, but not too far away. As long as you spend at least a fiver or so, there is unlikely to be a problem. The only downside is the time it takes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At over 70 years I did a number of circa 60 mile rides which included the hilly North Downs, using multiple batteries on an eZee Torq.

Five years later that was becoming a bit too much though, since when it's been more local

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The OP has been doing an 18 mile each way commute so probably has enough fitness to hack the distance.

I've done several day rides of 80 miles +, but I'm not sure I could reel them off consecutively.

The OP wants to chalk off 280 miles.

I can understand 50 miles a day would take too many days.

About 70 is a reasonable target, although I expect the OP will be spending a bit longer in the saddle each day than he anticipates.

The ride should work, provided he's prepared to reach overnight stops in the early evening.

Naileddownslug

Apr 9, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

I think 4 consecutive 70 mile days will present a reasonable challenge for me while still being achievable, providing I continue to do my 18 mile each way commute, plus some longer rides at weekends. It would represent about 4 and a half hours in the saddle each day. So if I set out at 9.00 each morning with the aim of finishing at 6.00 pm, I would only have to cycle for half the time.

The furthest I've ridden in a day on an unpowered bike was 96 hilly miles (I've done that twice, the last time about 6 years ago) .

I think the key will be battery charging time along the way. I guess that providing I make clear that I'll be ordering food and drink wherever I stop, there shouldn't be a problem. If somewhere refuses I'll just carry on to the next suitable place.

Reactions: 4bound

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I think the best option is to have a spare battery. That would really simplify your life and charging in 1 hour isn't going to give you significant charge anyway.

and you always need a spare one if one fail, and you'd be able to go faster than eco mode.

Just get one from ebay

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014

Its a great idea,the thread so far seems to involve thinking of it as mile munching - how to get the distance done. I wouldn't approach it like this - I'd make a key part not doing it alone - getting a friend/friends to do it with,meandering 70 miles across countryside with friends is an entertaining breeze,hammering it out alone not so imho

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
To this idea that food and drink have to be bought in order to charge your kit I have one word: Starbucks. Buy a coffee and the place is yours til it shuts. You will need a more powerful charger than the ordinary 2 amp jobbies that come free with a battery though. Oh and libraries are good.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It would represent about 4 and a half hours in the saddle each day. So if I set out at 9.00 each morning with the aim of finishing at 6.00 pm, I would only have to cycle for half the time.
I've done a few 70 mile+ rides.

For whatever reason, maintaining a moving average of much more than 10 or 11mph over that distance is hard.

It's equally hard to say why, but the time does seem to slip through my fingers.

You are planing nine hour days.

If you stop for two hours to charge, I reckon you will be cycling for most of the rest of the time.

Reactions: flecc

Naileddownslug

Apr 9, 2015
I think the best option is to have a spare battery. That would really simplify your life and charging in 1 hour isn't going to give you significant charge anyway.

and you always need a spare one if one fail, and you'd be able to go faster than eco mode.

Just get one from ebay
A spare battery would be good, but they seem very expensive. £800 from 50 Cycles for an identical battery, even the smaller ones are £400. Ordering from E bay Germany would get the price down , but we are still talking several hundred pounds. Also I'd need to carry the thing, ie i'd need panniers. With just the one battery I reckon i could get away with just a rack bag- carrying nothing more than basic tools, charger, rain jacket, wallet, phone, maps, toothbrush, and Tshirt/shorts for the evening. Cycling gear washed out overnight as necessary..

Reactions: 4bound

Naileddownslug

Apr 9, 2015
Its a great idea,the thread so far seems to involve thinking of it as mile munching - how to get the distance done. I wouldn't approach it like this - I'd make a key part not doing it alone - getting a friend/friends to do it with,meandering 70 miles across countryside with friends is an entertaining breeze,hammering it out alone not so imho
Group cycling is of course more fun than solo. Nevertheless I have found that a few days of my own company is very satisfing in a different way. Difficult to explain without sounding pretentious but everything seems to take on a slightly spiritual quality as you get into the journey. I've noticed this on several multi day mountain walks and cycle rides I've done previously.

Also, it seems that the more people you have in a group the slower the group goes. Even if everyone can move at the same pace there's always someone that needs a loo stop,, a shop visit, a bite to eat etc. I'll just move a lot faster if I'm by myself.

Alternatively, perhaps I'm just turning into an antisocial old git.:)

Naileddownslug

Apr 9, 2015
I've done a few 70 mile+ rides.

For whatever reason, maintaining a moving average of much more than 10 or 11mph over that distance is hard.

It's equally hard to say why, but the time does seem to slip through my fingers.

You are planing nine hour days.

If you stop for two hours to charge, I reckon you will be cycling for most of the rest of the time.
I know what you mean about the time slipping away. Route finding can be a particular timesink. So yes, I'm sure i'll be out on the bike for most of the day each day. I'm guessing 4.5 hours actually cycling. 2 -2.5 hours sitting in pubs/cafes, 2 hours stopped at junctions checking the route, having e cig breaks, filling waterbottles and so on.

Reactions: rippedupno1

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I know what you mean about the time slipping away. Route finding can be a particular timesink. So yes, I'm sure i'll be out on the bike for most of the day each day. I'm guessing 4.5 hours actually cycling. 2 -2.5 hours sitting in pubs/cafes, 2 hours stopped at junctions checking the route, having e cig breaks, filling waterbottles and so on.
Agreed, the 'two hours stopped at junctions etc' is the bit many inexperienced cyclists fail to account for.

Have you roughed out a route?

Depending on where in the North East you are headed, I may be able to assist with last 70 or so miles.