Towing - The new kid on the block

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like many, I've long been recommending a drive through the gears bike for any heavy work like steep hill climbing and towing, which in practice has meant one of the Lafree Twist series bikes.

However, I've been meaning for some while to try the remarkable capabilities of the Quando II for towing purposes, and have recently got round to doing it. To see how I got on, I'd like you to join me on the first test ride while online.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Excellent article there Flecc! It's amazing what these bikes can achieve. Do you have any other photos of the various hills in your area especially to help those of us in flat areas compare with a 12% :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll have to take some Russ. That one is good since the wall, steps and handrail behind shows the sort of thing I have to contend with. The Torq doesn't like it this steep, and this shows the effects of gearing on a motor.

With the Quando motor geared normally by the 20" wheel, it has no trouble even with a trailer and the drag of four tyres at even more than it's optimum power speed of 8.7 mph. With the same motor in the Torq's 28" wheel, it's a struggle just on it's own two wheels, despite the rider's gearing being 12" lower than the Quando's, simply because it's optimum power isn't available until 12 mph.

You can see why I dismiss the idea of further gearing down the rider, it's the motor gearing that's all important on these bikes, since that's potentially the biggest contributor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks 50cycles, if you insist on continuing to supply bikes as good as this one, I'll certainly exploit them to the full.

Having someone supplying really powerful options is more welcome than ever now, given the tide of low powered bikes that can't pull the skin off a rice pudding :)eek:) that are coming in these days.