Traction problem with Big Bear

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I have fitted a new front rack and added weight. Fitted a new front 'deep tread' knobbly tyre. Let air out of the tyre down to 10psi. I only use power level-1 and yet i still cannot get good traction on hills in dry conditions. Riding in damp conditions is a no go. Fitting the motor into the back wheel is the only answer i think? How can i achieve this at a reasonable cost?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What surface are you riding on?

The 'deep tread' knobbly will have less grip than a slick on anything hard, even less when it's wet.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Just normal road use. The new deep tread is an improvement on the original fitted tyre, but not much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'd suggest you trade in your Big Bear for a Bermuda or a Sport which has rear motor. Alternatively, woosh now have the Sport motor (26") that would work with your Big Bear electrics.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sport

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Trade in means losing a lot of money and i've only got 220 miles on the clock due to not riding it much with this traction problem. I've also fitted a lot of extras so my BB is a deluxe version. I do like the idea of fitting that new wheel and motor. Would it easily fit? I could do the electrics.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's fairly easy. Ask Andy to fit a 180mm rotor to the front wheel.
Swap out the wheels.
After that, pull the motor cable back through the downtube to get to the rear wheel and re-connect the motor cable.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you need to trade in your wheelset for a Sport wheelset. You can keep your freewheel, tyres and innertubes.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes. They are standard 26". The brakes are same, except the mounting post is for 180mm rotor on the Big Bear and 160mm rotor on the Sport.
If you send in your old wheelset, Andy can move your stuff to the new wheelset for you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
another possibility: d8veh may have a used rear 26" motor wheel - all it needs is 3-pin motor cable and can take 20A. You can fit the new motor, test it before worrying about changing the front wheel.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that would be awesome, but you would need a specialized controller with two motor cables. If you have two motors and one cable, you can swap front wheel drive / rear wheel drive whenever you like. The penalty is 3kg extra weight.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
3kg extra would be fine as i'm only a lightweight. I like the idea of running 2 motors together but don't know if it would be beneficial running either front or back?

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I'm intrigued about the traction issue. I've used a Big Bear for a couple of years now but not really had any traction issues. I'm not particularly heavy (11 stone) - if that's relevant. The only hint of a traction problem is if I go up to setting 4 when tackling a hill, especially if I kick it in when I havent much speed already. I think its fair to say that, on setting 3 or less, I've never had a traction problem, even though some hills have been pretty steep.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think the sitting position is important for weight distribution. If you lower the stem, your shoulders will move forward and your body will put more weight on the handlebars. If that sitting position causes discomfort to your wrists, then get a right hand thumb throttle from Woosh and change the grips for soft grips (the next revision of the Big Bear will have thumb throttle and soft grips, woosh should already have spares).

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Everywhere i go i have to tackle 35% hills. I can get up them ok with a bit of spin when it's dry. When wet or damp i have to get off and push. And having COPD means i don't go out if there's a hint of damp on roads as i get stuck half-way up a hill gasping!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
then rear hub is the answer.

Advertisers