Trek Conversion query

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully managed to convert a Trek mountain bike with a rear motor kit? I have been looking at various bikes but I really feel like a conversion is a serious consideration.

Thanks for any advice you can provide and sorry for the basic questions.

Dan

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully managed to convert a Trek mountain bike with a rear motor kit? I have been looking at various bikes but I really feel like a conversion is a serious consideration.

Thanks for any advice you can provide and sorry for the basic questions.

Dan
Yes, I've done one. What model and you planning to convert?

Get some pictures up and we can help.

What brakes, how big is the triangle, how many gears and how much power. All important considerations for a rear wheel conversion.

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Yes, I've done one. What model and you planning to convert?

Get some pictures up and we can help.

What brakes, how big is the triangle, how many gears and how much power. All important considerations for a rear wheel conversion.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm looking to convert a trek 4500.

The brakes are disk brakes which I think may be throwing a spanner in the works. It has 27 gears and I'll be looking at 500watt (possibly 1000watt but not essential or required).

Please let me know if you need anything else to help me

Attachments

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
So, for 27 speed (9 at the back) you need a cassette motor.

You need some kind of cutoff. Others have done custom cutouts switches on the brakes, but I haven't. You would only need this if the throttle failed and you didn't want your motor to burn out, so not really a safety thing as your brakes will overpower the motor. You could always just fit an easily accessible switch just in case.

Triangle looks big enough for a downtube battery, but you need to check.

Oxydrive and Woosh both sell Bafang CST kits which would be a good choice.

Last edited: