Trek transort plus: how to read battery voltage.

Noel

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I just bought a used Trek Transport Plus pedelec with a bionX PL-15 hub, 37 volt system, 9 amp hour battery.
Yesterday I rode 10 miles and the battery indicator went to zero level reading, it started at 4 bars indicating a full charge and then went to zero bar. I rode another 6 miles with what appeared to be an empty battery, I even had the tail light on. I used only 25 % and 50% pedal assist. The former owner told me that he thought that the battery level indicator was at fault. He told me he used to commute one way 12.5 miles on 200% pedal assist at 20 mph. on the return trip he said that the battery level indicator was always on zero and that he never ran out of juice, in fact, he said that he rode it a lot with zero battery level.

I'd like to read the battery voltage after a full charge to see if the battery is weak but the Trek Ride+ site doesn't show how to do it. I went to the BionX site and they have a procedure to read battery voltage but it doesn't work with the trek electrical system. I put a voltmeter on the terminals of the battery after a full charge but no reading. I assume that the voltage reading has to be read using system diagnostics., it cant be read with a voltmeter I assume.

Im going to fully charge it and ride the bike until the battery quits. If I ride 10 miles with the battery indicating zero then maybe the indicator is at fault? The former owner said that he bought it new July 2014 but it could have been sitting on the showroom floor for 2 years and the battery could have went bad. I sent the bikes serial number to Trek to try and determine the year of the bike.

Advertisers