Tried 4 ebikes recently - Van Moof, Haibike, Lime e bike, Uber e bike - only liked one

nabs

Pedelecer
May 27, 2019
So recently I test drove two e bikes from stores the Van Moff and a Haibike. I also have tried two dockless e bikes you can rent.

I only was impressed by one of the, the one that has made me want to get an ebike. The Uber e bike, Jump Bike.

The Van Moof was not impressive. Didn't feel powerful or offering that much assitance. Haibike was better than the Van Moof but still not as good as the Jump bike. And Lime e bike is okay. Not great, but decent. Can't really compare to the Jump Bike.

I would like to get one that impresses me like the Jump Bike.

Reactions: robstok

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would like to get one that impresses me like the Jump Bike.
you mean you like a cheap Chinese e-bike with a front hub motor?
Then come to Southend for something even better.

Reactions: artspeck

nabs

Pedelecer
May 27, 2019
you mean you like a cheap Chinese e-bike with a front hub motor?
Then come to Southend for something even better.

It might be crap, but it was also fast. Much faster than the Lime e bike and Van Moof. The haibike not sure, that was pretty good too. But this cheap chinese bike was zippy and fast. It felt very light as well.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like the design, comfortable, practical, neat.

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Ask yourself the question: why do I want an EBike?
If you want to go fast or be zippy - buy a moped!!
Most people buy ebikes to "ASSIST" their inputs when the going gets tough...nothing more nothing less. If you want minimum human input and maximum electrical torque, buy a throttle ebike or a moped.
Buying junk like the one(s) you have mentioned will only result in you scrapping them weeks after buying them because of their build quality or range or feedback.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Most people buy ebikes to "ASSIST" their inputs when the going gets tough...nothing more nothing less.
agreed.

If you want minimum human input and maximum electrical torque, buy a throttle ebike or a moped.
The throttle is perfect when you do a hill start or start off from traffic lights or on the rare time when you run out of puff.
Also, a lot of my customers need to be able to pedal as much or as little depending on their physical condition. Bikes fitted with a torque sensor is less suitable for their needs.

Last edited:

nabs

Pedelecer
May 27, 2019
Ask yourself the question: why do I want an EBike?
If you want to go fast or be zippy - buy a moped!!
Most people buy ebikes to "ASSIST" their inputs when the going gets tough...nothing more nothing less. If you want minimum human input and maximum electrical torque, buy a throttle ebike or a moped.
Buying junk like the one(s) you have mentioned will only result in you scrapping them weeks after buying them because of their build quality or range or feedback.
Most people commuting are riding ebikes to make the journey easier and faster. Not only for hills or difficult parts. I think a casual glance at the internet confirms this. I think common sense would also say this.

Same goes for the thousands upon thousands of ebike riders in London, where there are not difficult bits, just flat. And the thousands of people who rent ebikes in London every day. All doing it to have a faster, easier journey, not to get over difficult bits. So I am not sure I buy what you are saying. I think its really hard to not scoff at the idea that most people who ride e bikes are not doing it to have a faster, easier ride, on the whole.

Also don't think I buy the idea that an ebike cannot be fast and zippy, and shouldn't be used to enable a faster easier commute. I am surprised to hear such a thing around here. Seems kinda crazy.

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
"Also don't think I buy the idea that an ebike cannot be fast and zippy"

It's true that, for short range city commutes on good tarmac, a cheaper chinese hub bike is often a decent tool for the job.

Hub motors will hit full power delivery faster than crank drives and feel 'zippier'.
They probably won't actually be faster as all legal ebikes cut off at the same speed (25kph).

But hub motors work independently of gearing.
In the end that means hub drives feel more like an electric moped and crank drives feel more like an assisted bicycle.
It also means that crank drives tend to be better getting up steeper hills and have a significantly longer range for the same size battery.

I very much bought my bike for off road touring (up to 100km up all sorts of hills) but also commute with it now. The benefit of getting a crank powered ebike is that I can do both on it (and it's super-reliable and comfortable).
I could have got a hub bike for £700 or so less money - but I doubt its build quality or reliability would be as good - nor could I take it on long tours.

If you are sure all you want is a simple short range hub motored bike, then go for it. These sorts of bikes do have their place in the city commuting landscape...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's true that, for short range city commutes on good tarmac, a cheaper chinese hub bike is often a decent tool for the job.
I often sell Karoos to deliveroos who clock up incredible number of miles in a month, leave alone years.
Take a look, do you see any Bosch motors on deliveroos' e-bikes?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have done 100 miles in a day with my hub drive using all terrains, more often then not though 50 - 75 are my regular distances.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Nabs, if you like the look and feel of the Uber ebike then that's great. Untimely, you have to be comfortable riding it and if it suits your needs that's all that matters. Maybe try searching similar looking bikes online and perhaps visiting a shop to test ride some. Good luck.

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I often sell Karoos to deliveroos who clock up incredible number of miles in a month, leave alone years.
Take a look, do you see any Bosch motors on deliveroos' e-bikes?
I have actually seen a couple of Crossfuses used for this (as I commute through Manchester City centre most days it isn't raining) but Bosch motors are quite rare as they are premium products and Deliveroo/Uber Eats drivers are usually pretty skint - or they wouldn't be Deliveroo riders.

I've probably seen more e-bike delivery riders using Crossfires than anything else, but I'd never recommend one of those to anyone.

These hub bikes are, used as a rule, for lots of flattish short range trips on tarmac in city centres. Not for 100km off road tours - so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I would certainly recommend your Karoo over any other sub £1000 e-bike for urban road use and I know that some Chinese motors (Bafang 8 Fun ones for example) are very reliable and great value when matched with the right kit.

But I'm not sure a Karoo is an off road bike is it?
I have front suspension, a suspension seat post, hydraulic disk braks and 47mm touring tyres.
Mine did cost an extra £600 or so over a Karoo but it's aimed at doing a different job, isn't it?

But , as I said, what puts me off about most cheaper e-bikes (not yours) is the build quality and reliability.

Also he was talking about a Jump Bike - I just did a 100km Sportive on my Cube (4500 ft of climb) with 40% of my battery left at the end (though I do take Bosch battery remaining readouts with a large pinch of salt). I don's see that happening on a Jump Bike do you? And, even if the battery lasted, could you imagine how you'd feel after doing a 5+ hour Sportive on one of those?

robstok

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2020
Hi nabs, just curious if you did buy an e-bike in the end and if you found something similar to a Jump bike?

I'm looking at it too from pretty much the same angle, having tried Jump and Lime bikes for a 10km commute across central London (very stop/start, lots of junctions and lights) I'm really impressed by the Jump bike experience - I'd summarise as zippy and fun. They also seem very reliable. If they offered a flat rate subscription and I could park it by my work I'd probably go for that (believe they are trialling subscription model in US)

Alternatively looking for closest reasonably priced option of a model I can buy. Have tried an EMU (£1200/front hub motor) and a Raleigh (£2000 Bosch crank motor) and neither was as fun as the Jump bike.

nabs

Pedelecer
May 27, 2019
Hi nabs, just curious if you did buy an e-bike in the end and if you found something similar to a Jump bike?

I'm looking at it too from pretty much the same angle, having tried Jump and Lime bikes for a 10km commute across central London (very stop/start, lots of junctions and lights) I'm really impressed by the Jump bike experience - I'd summarise as zippy and fun. They also seem very reliable. If they offered a flat rate subscription and I could park it by my work I'd probably go for that (believe they are trialling subscription model in US)

Alternatively looking for closest reasonably priced option of a model I can buy. Have tried an EMU (£1200/front hub motor) and a Raleigh (£2000 Bosch crank motor) and neither was as fun as the Jump bike.
I have not yet, but am planning to very soon. There are just so many options its quite mind boggling. And I am indecisive and like researching and there are so many considerations.

The GoCycle is quite zippy and very nice. Expensive though. And the main problem with the GoCycle for me is you can't chain it up outside as its far too nice not to get knicked.

I am either going with Haibike Sduro 7 hardnose, with a delimiter. Or just a 500w or even 1000w embt off Amazon.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Nabs

Just buy what you like, if it suits then there is your answer.
I have a hiabike sduro trekking which I’m pleased with. I have done 900 miles plus in two months and nothing had gone wrong. I picked that one as I liked it pure and simple.

Reactions: nabs