Trying to source a wide wheel rim.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I'm currently running a 559x62 (26”) tyre on an 18mm wheel rim and the result is less than perfect. As you can probably guess, the tyre can get pretty squirmy and high speed cornering is a little hair-raising.

I'm after a wide front wheel (fully built wheel if possible) built on something like a DX32, DM24, DH39 rim etc. Minimum inner rim width I'm willing to accept is 24mm. It seems however that these are almost impossible to source from within the UK.

Does anybody know of a UK source of wide wheels or rims?

Thanks

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I can't help with a source for a built wheel, but I think I know someone who would do a custom build for you locally.

C H White in Malmesbury are in the same county as you.

Excellent, proper bike shop which has also been selling ebikes for a long time.

More importantly, they build their own, on site.

Their web presence is a bit eccentric, but well worth a phone call or a visit.

http://foldingbike.biz/

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Maybe you're tyre choice is the problem, I've run 62s on fairly standard rims and they've been fine.
Possibly.

The Continental Diesel has been my front tyre of choice for the last four years. They're great all-round freeride tyres and I've got a couple more stashed, so don't plan on changing for another any time soon.

The last wheel I satisfactorily ran them on was 22mm (old bike w/rim brakes), but I always felt they could have been a little wider, hence why I'm after 24mm minimum now.

EDIT: Maybe the higher than average speeds I run at cause more tyre flex than yourself also.

What tyre pressure do you run with 62s?

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I can't help with a source for a built wheel, but I think I know someone who would do a custom build for you locally.

C H White in Malmesbury are in the same county as you.

Excellent, proper bike shop which has also been selling ebikes for a long time.

More importantly, they build their own, on site.

Their web presence is a bit eccentric, but well worth a phone call or a visit.

http://foldingbike.biz/
Thanks for the heads-up. It's good to know I've got the option of a competant local wheel builder if I need it. I'm not adverse to building a wheel myself (this would be my first), but I'd prefer one ready built depending on the cost.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
  • Dislike
Reactions: Twinkleten

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Didn't check the widths, sorry, my 700C is 23 mm which is the width you want. I looked for a cheap one here (Decathlon, Intersport) but Taylor was the cheapest, shipping included, double walled and with eyelets which the local cheap wheels didn't have.