TSDZ2 100mm adapter for Cube Attain Road bike

Minatauro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 7, 2018
Hi, I am new to the world of ebikes and I have a Cube Attain road bike that I would love to convert for a daily commute of about 20km each way. Having read many of the threads discussing the different types of motors I have decided upon the TSDZ2 mid motor due to the torque sensor as I would like to have my bike still feel like a bike when pedaling.

My issue is that I roughly measured my bottom bracket and it seems to be about 90mm. From what I can gather it is a Press fit PF41 BB89 or BB92. I have only seen one place in the US that makes the adapter for $115 dollars. I don't know if it would even fit properly.

It seems there is so much to think of for converting like the chain line and clearance as well as the bottom bracket sizing. I am just worried about spending a decent amount of money buying things and then not getting them to fit.

I'm about 220lbs(not including change of clothes etc.) and have an incline of about 60 meters over the course of the 20km journey so its fairly flat. I have my sights set on either a

TSDZ2 48v 500w or 52v 750w (would 750w be overkill or needed due to my overall weight and distance?)
48v or 52v Battery to match motor (bit confused about matching type of battery)

I am sick of public transport and would like to try get the best option for me while the 11.11 sales are on and get back on the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The TSDZ2 is made for 68mm or 73mm BB shell frame width while bikes fitted with PF30 and PF41 can have wider BB shell frame width, so measure the BB shell width on your bike to be certain.
There is also another problem which is the BB shell diameter. The TSDZ2 is made for 35mm but will fit 36mm. Above 36mm, you will need an adapter.
TSDZ2 48v 500w or 52v 750w (would 750w be overkill or needed due to my overall weight and distance?)
Don't worry about your weight. Like most crank drive motors, it just a matter of choosing the right chainring to suit. The TSDZ2 has 110mm BCD, chainrings are cheap and plenty on the net.
48V is a good choice of power for your weight.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit#tsdz2

Reactions: Minatauro

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
My issue is that I roughly measured my bottom bracket and it seems to be about 90mm. From what I can gather it is a Press fit PF41 BB89 or BB92. I have only seen one place in the US that makes the adapter for $115 dollars
These adapters will only overcome the diameter of your BB, at 90mm it is far too wide to fit the TSDZ2 motor, sorry. There were people making a 100mm adapter for the BBS02, but these have ceased production since the introduction of the BBSHD in various BB sizes.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
From what I've read, a lot of Cube bikes are difficult to convert to mid drive due to their wide chainstays. It may be worth you considering a rear hub motor if you like your Cube.

Minatauro

Nov 7, 2018
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'm fighting a losing battle to convert the cube. I may probably still buy the TSDZ2 motor and look for a cheap bike with the standard 68-73 mm bottom bracket. I wonder if anything in Halfords would suit or any type of bike that is known to suit it and fairly widely available?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'm fighting a losing battle to convert the cube.
just turn the bike upside down and measure the bottom bracket shell frame width (between the ballbearings).

Minatauro

Nov 7, 2018
just turn the bike upside down and measure the bottom bracket shell frame width (between the ballbearings).
So would it be safe to say that if I found a bike and it was between the 68-73mm width then it should be ok.?

What about the diameter of the shell does it need to be a specific size or are there variances there also?

Does it matter if it is press fit or not if its within the width range?

Sorry for the questions but I've never had to take notice of different types/sizes of brackets before.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What about the diameter of the shell does it need to be a specific size or are there variances there also?
if you post a picture of the BB, I can be sure if it will fit.
Carbon frames won't.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It can be quite difficult to the untrained eye picking out a suitable BB. Quite a few on here have converted bikes with the BBS01 mid drive and I think I'm safe to say if that fits, the TSDZ2 will, so if you find a bike you like, post the make and model and a photo if poss. and hopefully Woosh or someone else will be able to advise you.