Help! TSDZ2 48v 250w or BBS01B 36v 250w

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Hi All
After digesting lots of valuable info from this from this forum I am now leaning toward a mid drive option. I think it will provide more torque for hill climing with a heavy rider, also it will allow me to keep existing QR wheels. The two obivious options seem to be TSDZ2 or BBS01b. I have read a lot of conflicting reports on reliability from Tongshen/Bafang users. The TSDZ2 has repoted issues with the blue gear and sprag bearing, although both items seem to be readily available, inexpesive and easy to replace. BBS01 seems to have some history of controller failure, latest version is advertised with upgraded 6 mosfet controller. Torque sensing and ability to fit standard chain rings would be a plus for TSDZ2, but the instant throttle response of the bafang would be a bonus. Any comments or advice would be very welcome.
Thanks
Steve

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
After a year of tsdz2 builds without a problem the last few have had niggles ,both size fat bike motors have had shorter bb shaft ,and the 2020 colour display was a disappointment .No problems that could not be quickly solved, but could have been a head ache for a first time builder my box of spares came in handy. Seems to be quality control problem with dry joints etc but not with all suppliers [more than one factory in China]
The inner cyclist in me loves the tsdz but my last two builds have been with Bafang mid drives will await to see what happens
But as a rule if you do not abuse the Tongsheng it will be ok

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
After a year of tsdz2 builds without a problem the last few have had niggles ,both size fat bike motors have had shorter bb shaft ,and the 2020 colour display was a disappointment .No problems that could not be quickly solved, but could have been a head ache for a first time builder my box of spares came in handy. Seems to be quality control problem with dry joints etc but not with all suppliers [more than one factory in China]
The inner cyclist in me loves the tsdz but my last two builds have been with Bafang mid drives will await to see what happens
But as a rule if you do not abuse the Tongsheng it will be ok
Thanks for the speedy reply
Bike is a Specialized Crossroads xl,should convert easy. Mostly it will be used on tarmac, some light gravel, easy forest trails. Initialy intended for this to be a tempory ride while waiting for e bike stock to recover and new models to arrive. I find it very hard to find a bike that fits, long body short legs so now i think this may be the way to go, could get addictive.
Thanks
Steve

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Thanks for the speedy reply
Bike is a Specialized Crossroads xl,should convert easy. Mostly it will be used on tarmac, some light gravel, easy forest trails. Initialy intended for this to be a tempory ride while waiting for e bike stock to recover and new models to arrive. I find it very hard to find a bike that fits, long body short legs so now i think this may be the way to go, could get addictive.
Thanks
Steve
I have built a couple of bikes using both the BBS02 and TSDZ2, the BBS will give you a very power assisted ride, whilst the TSDZ2 will give your body more of a workout and more like a normal bicycle!

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
My last bike was a torque sensor and I found it very comfortable with only 40Nm of torque. Have you noticed any difference in reliability, motor noise and battery range between the two? Do you have a personal preference.
Thanks
Steve

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
My last bike was a torque sensor and I found it very comfortable with only 40Nm of torque. Have you noticed any difference in reliability, motor noise and battery range between the two? Do you have a personal preference.
Thanks
Steve
None of my motors are more than 6 months old. So cannot comment on reliability. TBH the BBS02 feels my solid and inspires me to to do 20 - 30 mile rides. Build quality is very good on all my units. The achilles heel of the Tsdz I suppose is the blue gear. Mine hasn't failed as I haven't got many miles on it, but I am always aware not to load the motor with failure in mind. As such I have only ridden the Tsdz locally.
As for noise the Tsdz is noisier. The BBS02 is near silent. The Tsdz sounds like a milk float.
The Tsdz is fun to ride as it needs more user input..... Pedaling

Reactions: Steve J H

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
None of my motors are more than 6 months old. So cannot comment on reliability. TBH the BBS02 feels my solid and inspires me to to do 20 - 30 mile rides. Build quality is very good on all my units. The achilles heel of the Tsdz I suppose is the blue gear. Mine hasn't failed as I haven't got many miles on it, but I am always aware not to load the motor with failure in mind. As such I have only ridden the Tsdz locally.
As for noise the Tsdz is noisier. The BBS02 is near silent. The Tsdz sounds like a milk float.
The Tsdz is fun to ride as it needs more user input..... Pedaling
Thanks for the info, it seems the Bafang might be the more robust option.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Decided to go the Bafang route, ordered a BBS01b. Some say the stock chain ring is appalling, is it really that bad or will it do for now. The Lekkie Bling rings seem to be very expensive, has anyone found a cheaper alternative.
Thanks
Steve

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Decided to go the Bafang route, ordered a BBS01b. Some say the stock chain ring is appalling, is it really that bad or will it do for now. The Lekkie Bling rings seem to be very expensive, has anyone found a cheaper alternative.
Thanks
Steve
Lekkie blings may be expensive but they are superbly manufactured. With the narrow wide tooth pattern they do not let go of the chain. Most are dished so chain line is much better!

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
  • Thanks for the advice, I will look into them one once I have fitted the kit. Should arrive early next week. I will have more idea of ideal chain ring size when tested, ordered with A 44t just a stab in the dark on my part. I have seen the bling rings advertised anywhere from £50 to well over £100. Any idea on best place to buy and what I should be paying
  • Thanks
  • Steve

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
  • Thanks for the advice, I will look into them one once I have fitted the kit. Should arrive early next week. I will have more idea of ideal chain ring size when tested, ordered with A 44t just a stab in the dark on my part. I have seen the bling rings advertised anywhere from £50 to well over £100. Any idea on best place to buy and what I should be paying
  • Thanks
  • Steve
If you can get the chain line with the stock use that for a while..... its not that bad.
I bought my Lekkie stuff from Brightonebikes.

Ive got the Lekkie final drive cover as well. Its got a grease port which is handy for keeping the gears lubed with a squirt of SHC100 grease every now and again.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
If you can get the chain line with the stock use that for a while..... its not that bad.

Ive got the Lekkie final drive cover as well. Its got a grease port which is handy for keeping the gears lubed with a squirt of SHC100 grease every now and again.

Thanks appreciate the info, the lekkie components do look really good quality. Nice to be able to grease the gears without removing the cover, will definitely go down the lekkie route once the kit is installed.
Thanks
Steve

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yep, dont write off the stock Bafang chainring, I run it on mine, it's OK

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Yep, dont write off the stock Bafang chainring, I run it on mine, it's OK
Agree the Bafang chainring is usable!
If you can not get the chainline correct, then the dished Lekkie ring is the perfect option

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Thanks guys
Kit arrived this morning, motor looks well made and solid. Had to order a low profile cable guide for the bottom bracket and some shallow head screws for the battery carrier. Bought a Bafang type spanner from eBay but really poor quality, can anyone recomend a good one. Any recommendations on battery/motor connections. Came with the standard bullets. XT60 was included by the supplier. Could keep thing simple and just solder. I would like to terminate in the battery cradle if the motor cable is long enough. The motor has 2 additional cables 6v feed for lights and gear sensor, these will probable not be used and will need to be water proofed at the connectors. I will try amalgamating tape as I have seen it recommended on the forum.
Thanks
Steve

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Thanks guys
Kit arrived this morning, motor looks well made and solid. Had to order a low profile cable guide for the bottom bracket and some shallow head screws for the battery carrier. Bought a Bafang type spanner from eBay but really poor quality, can anyone recomend a good one. Any recommendations on battery/motor connections. Came with the standard bullets. XT60 was included by the supplier. Could keep thing simple and just solder. I would like to terminate in the battery cradle if the motor cable is long enough. The motor has 2 additional cables 6v feed for lights and gear sensor, these will probable not be used and will need to be water proofed at the connectors. I will try amalgamating tape as I have seen it recommended on the forum.
Thanks
Steve
I normally use a bit of shrink down tubing on the spare unused connectors. Shrink it down and fold the end over while its still hot, seems to keep the moisture out. Leave the cap on the gear sensor as well, and shrink wrap. Lidl's every now and again to a selection of about a 100 pieces of shrink tube for about £2!

Enjoy the BBS ;)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Bought a Bafang type spanner from eBay but really poor quality, can anyone recomend a good one.
I've used a pair of stilsons on all my BBS builds and never had any problems. Wrap a piece of rag around the locking ring to prevent marking it.

• Informative
Reactions: MontyPAS

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
I normally use a bit of shrink down tubing on the spare unused connectors. Shrink it down and fold the end over while its still hot, seems to keep the moisture out. Leave the cap on the gear sensor as well, and shrink wrap. Lidl's every now and again to a selection of about a 100 pieces of shrink tube for about £2!

Enjoy the BBS ;)
Thanks for the advice, oddly enough I bought a selection of heat shrink from Lidl couple of weeks ago thinking I will probably never use it. Hoorah for the middle of Lidl
Thanks
Steve

Reactions: MontyPAS

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
I've used a pair of stilsons on all my BBS builds and never had any problems. Wrap a piece of rag around the locking ring to prevent marking it.
Good idea, never thought of that. I have a pair that I used to wrangle a frozen seat post. Those things never seem to loose grip.
Thanks