TSDZ2 conversion kit arrived today.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Ten working days after I placed my order the kit arrived at lunchtime today.

I'd already stripped down the crank set, so I slid the motor into the bottom bracket. Wasted some time looking for some 25mm M5 bolts and some 10mm spacers to replace the ones fitted to the motor before I realised they were already packed separately in the kit. The battery holder was a piece of cake to mount as there were already a couple of rivnut inserts on the down tube and all was assembled in about an hour.

I've yet to connect all the wires up and cable tie them but it all seems pretty basic. Battery is charged, but I'm not going to be able to do much tomorrow as I've got a prior commitment.

I've not used any threadlock yet as I wanted to check everything out first, but I'd like to know if it is advisable to use some loctite for the final fix.

I spent a lot of time and asked a load of questions one here and so far, so good. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.

Photos to follow.

Pete

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Becareful with cable ties on wiring, pinching them to tight can cause the internal wires to break/short out.

Reactions: AlanRHB and PeterPi

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Becareful with cable ties on wiring, pinching them to tight can cause the internal wires to break/short out.
I've only used a couple of cable ties so far and taped the wiring because I need to shorten the motor cables and put different connectors on there, but thanks for the advice. Been out on the bike, only did about half a mile to get the feel for it and it was spitting a bit of rain. Climbed the gradient to the top of the village with ease. Next decent day will be Friday.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Spiral wrap is great for tidying up wiring.
I have some of that but never use it. Thanks for the tip, now I have to find i! A few of my neighbors have taken it around the block and the universal reaction on the motor kicking 9n has been "oh my god" or " bloody hell". What is the view on using loctite or similar on the mounting bolts ETC?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Hi Peter,
I'm looking to take the plunge with the TSDZ2 also - I'd be interested as to where you bought yours and what model and battery option and display model too, plus any feedback on the supplier and the kit at this early stage.

Thank you.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Hi Peter,
I'm looking to take the plunge with the TSDZ2 also - I'd be interested as to where you bought yours and what model and battery option and display model too, plus any feedback on the supplier and the kit at this early stage.

Thank you.
If it helps, I recently bought my TSDZ2 from Woosh, I found them easy to deal with and the bits arrived exactly when they said they would. I would deal with them again. I think you can probably buy them a little bit cheaper online but the saving isn’t massive in the great scheme of things.

I bought the 17A/h rack mount battery and it’s quite heavy, I’m also quite heavy but for an old bloke fairly fit .. I do use plenty assistance on hills to keep the pace up. So it works hard, even so it gives me about 60 miles of range.

I have the VLCD5 display and I think it’s a bit big, takes up quite a bit of real estate on the handlebars. Whilst it’s very interesting to watch for the first few miles really you only need a battery indicator, a boost level indicator and legally a speedometer. That could be crammed into a much smaller displayed I think. I would’ve done that but you do need the big display for the thumb throttle and the brake switches. I don’t currently want either of those functions but I suppose in years to come I may well want them and I didn’t want to have to buy a new controller/display/loom at that time, so I’m stuck with the bigger display. Anyway it’s a minor issue really.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I chose the VLCD5 because it has remote buttons in addition to those on the LCD.
In cold weather, you may need to wear gloves.
Compared to geared hub bikes, CD bikes need more presses.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thanks all for the responses - @gw8izr - yes, I've got Whoosh bikes on my possible source list but the price difference between them and say PSWpower is not insignificant and their (PSWpower) stuff comes from a German warehouse with returns to Italy, not China - hmmm?

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Thanks all for the responses - @gw8izr - yes, I've got Whoosh bikes on my possible source list but the price difference between them and say PSWpower is not insignificant and their (PSWpower) stuff comes from a German warehouse with returns to Italy, not China - hmmm?
Yes they were part of my consideration as well, but in the end I asked a few questions and they helped me decide what was best for me and the answers were given freely, so I accept that there is a real cost of that support. I suspect if I needed help it would probably be easier to deal with a uk supplier so that’s where I punted.

Anyway whatever way you go that particular drive is working out well for me, just need it to be a bit nicer outdoors at the moment so that it’s enjoyable not endurable :)

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the price difference does not come from us taking more profit but from 20% VAT.
PSWPower is a Chinese company, they pay import duty but actually, you are the legal importer into this country in the eye of HMRC, you are legally liable to declare and pay VAT.
Due to the leniency in freedom of movement of goods in the EU, HHMRC does not police your parcel as it's shipped from Germany.
However, from January 2021, that situation will stop.
The courier will automatically declare and charge VAT + duty to all parcels coming from EU.

Your problem with buying from PWSPower will become clear from January.
You can't ship the motor back to Germany or another country without the original import declaration because you would not have submitted one if you buy from a Chinese company now, nor can you ship back to China. When the parcel comes back to you, the courier will charge you again duty VAT and admin fees.
I know it may appear overly complicated but that's the law.
HMRC is estimated to lose £800 million a year to Chinese companies using EU trans-shipment to defraud our government and the EU is taking UK government to the ECJ over it.

I wish the forum admin create a thread to make clear the legal situation on all goods purchased from outside the UK, either from China, Taiwan or from other EU countries.

• Informative
Reactions: dwvl

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Hi Peter,

Thank you.
B
It depends how competent and confident you are. I took a chance but I'm a foolhardy tinkerer. You have to pay more to Woosh, but they do have a great after sales service. I'm on my own. Just like the customers who tell me they can get some kit cheaper on "The Internet" and then find when it packs in or it's incompatible I'll either not fix it or put such a high price on the fix, that they decide to buy a replacement.

I got my stuff from where you said. It took two weeks and I'm pleased with it. Only time will tell if I made a correct judgement.

Reactions: Woosh

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thanks once again Peter - I'm fortunate to have a full engineering apprenticeship behind me and many years working in various electrical engineering roles to say little about umpteen bike builds, but as yet not a pedelec - I'm looking forward to the conversion :cool:

Reactions: PeterPi