TSDZ2 on a “ladies” bike - installation questions

BikeSnail

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
I’m increasingly keen on fitting a TSDZ2 into my trusty sold Raleigh. It’s not a high spec bike but I’ve had it for 13 years and love the ride and the frame geometry.

Taking things forward:

I ordered Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes for the back wheel and after I test them next week I will decide whether to put another set in the front or upgrade the fork and wheel and get a front disc break instead.

I identified a 250W motor kit shipped from the UK by this seller for £234.11 https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP091Hh

I identified this mini bottle battery to mount on the down tube. I realise this only gives me 216W but all I really need on a normal trip is enough juice to push 80 kg up a 1 mile long 10% average 17% max incline hill. The main function of the motor is to enable me to take my kid for occasional leisure rides in a very hilly city. Other than that I’m happy using muscle power especially given my short, flat and occasional work commute (hence TSDZ2 and not Bafang)£143.74 https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPDXuDz

Note that I don’t want a rack battery mount as this will make the bike too heavy at the back (I have 15 kg of seat and toddler on the rack already)

Question 1: What can I use to temporarily mount the battery cage on my downtube before I pluck up the courage to drill my frame and make things permanent? Zip ties? Hot glue? ;-)

Question 2: The bike has recently acquired a massive double Ursus Jumbo kickstand (top photo) which is an absolute must with my son at the back. I assume this won’t be an issue as the kickstand points in the opposite direction than the engine?

The chain was neglected for years and I used to deal with it occasionally falling off by putting it back on again (in other words - I did nothing). When I started riding with my kid I took the bike for an MOT with my local mechanic. I’ve done about 50 miles on various terrain since a new chain was put in but it recently fell of again. Fair enough, I was mistreating it changing gears uphill on a gravel canal path on a solo and a bit unusually aggressive ride.

Question 3: What steps do I need to take to minimize chain problems? Learn how to clean and maintain my derailleur? Get a Lekka chainring for the TSDZ2 like people do with Bafang motors? Buy a gear shift sensor? Learn to change gears correctly? I do believe the initial problems have to do with my zero maintenance attitude which I’m happy to relinquish.

Question 4: Can I have a chain cover after engine installation? The bike is also used for a flat 2 mile long work commute so cleanliness is an issue.

Question 5: My tyres are many years old. The front one is original (2008), the back one is a big apple put in at least 7 years ago. I’d like something more suitable for ebike use that will work well on roads with massive potholes, in mud and on gravel. Any suggestions?

Many thanks to you lovely people! You are an incredible and very helpful crowd.

Attachments

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you look on Ebay, there are all sorts of bottle holders that starp on or clip on - under the seat, down the seatpost, in front of the steering head, across the way or downwards. Take your pick.

You should have ordered a friont brake rather than a back one. If it's not too late, change it. It's the front that does all the braking. If you put a decent brake only on the back, it'll lock the wheel and skid instead of stopping you.

The reason your chain keeps coming off is because you have a single chainwheel, derailleur gears, a chain that's probably too loose and no chain-guide. With derailleur gears and a single chainwheel, you really need a chain-guide to guide the chain onto the chainwheel. There are all different types. Normally, they have a rim device that screws to the chainwheel to make a lip or trough to stop the chain falling outwards. Some have a lip inside and outside to make a trough for the chain. The size and screws have to match the chainwheel. You can't just fit any one:

Then there are all sorts of devices. Do an Ebay search for chain-guide and take your pick.

You can have a chainguard, but you'd have to make your own brackets because they nearly all fit on the bottom bracket, which you won't have with a crank motor.

Big Apples are normally the tyres people recommend for comfort.

I think I'd prefer a BBS01 to the TSDZ2 fr reliability, and there won't be any problem with that stand.

BikeSnail

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
Thank you @vfr400 - you are being most helpful.

I will reconsider the front brake issue and engine type (though I root for the torque sensor).

Q: Can I pretty much add a chain guide now and do the engine later, or would you recommend first fitting the engine?

I have little bike repair skills so I’m taking things slowly starting with easy jobs. E.g., I cleaned the rust of the fork a couple of weeks ago and today I got new pedals on. I realise installing the engine may necessitate further changes to what I’ve already done but I prefer to do a bit of tinkering first to build my confidence.

It took me 3 separate attempts to get those stubborn worn out pedals off, hahaha. Fortunately a proper pedal wrench and mallet did the job today :)

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The rear motor mount on the rear of the tsdz2 is essential and will probably want the space behind the motor to mount to the chain stays that your stand uses, with luck the stand will move backwards, the motor has an chain guard but its more cosmetic than practical find often have to fit another one
ps the lekkie will not fit tsdz2 and most of the cheap optional spider adaptors move the chain line the wrong way out not inwards

Reactions: BikeSnail