TSDZ2 & VLCD6 Display issues?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Built up a bike with a 48v TSDZ2 and a VLCD6 display, noticed on a shakedown ride, that a couple of times on the ride the assist level kept dropping on the display.
Normally after reducing the assist level from say 4 to 3, the display would then drop to 1 or even 0?

Could this be a sticking button membrane? Possibly vibrations from the road bouncing the contacts or membrane on the display.
Checked all connections. Display, speed sensor and power, all tight!

Anyone experienced the same?
Ideas?

Attachments

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Another user have has recent problems with the vlcd6 and dry joints the black wire snapped off in the display
Always used the vlcd5 is it the older 5/ 8 wire or the 2020 version

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Another user have has recent problems with the vlcd6 and dry joints the black wire snapped off in the display
Always used the vlcd5 is it the older 5/ 8 wire or the 2020 version
Hi Peter, it is a 6 pin display to controller connection. Unit is a 48v 750w.
Not sure of its heritage age wise, bought it privately sealed box / unused, with the vlcd6.
Quite like the display and its discrete and simple..... downside only in KM's no MPH.
Would like the XH18 display, but cannot get a confirmed reply from Chinese seller, as to whether 6 or 8 pin.

Been using Bafang BBS02 's on my other builds up to now.
Quite like the extra effort you have to put into the TSDZ2 to get it to go! More of a workout!

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The x18 i used was a six pin but you need a 48v version own firmware 36v will not work , did not like it power levels are on a twist grip
Check out the open source project that uses the bafang mini display

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The x18 i used was a six pin but you need a 48v version own firmware 36v will not work , did not like it power levels are on a twist grip
Check out the open source project that uses the bafang mini display
My intention was to install the OSF, but the instructions are so disjointed and confusing..... Didn't want to end up with an expensive brick!:eek:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Me too:rolleyes: apparently new software is available its supposed to be easier but have seen 2 bricked colour displays for sale after re flashing

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Charged up my battery for the first time today, it is a EM3ev 48v 14.3Ah Jumbo Shark unit.
Connected up to the TSDZ2, display came on but no assist when cycling?
Logged into the BMS via the bloothtooth app, voltage shown as 54.9v.
Put it on my bafang powered bike and ran it for a mile and reduced voltage to 53.8v.
But it back on TSDZ2 and it worked normally!

Is 54.9v on a fully charged battery too high for the TS?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
That is over the max volts for a 48v tsdz2 will be a problem starts to whinge over 53v if you fully charge the battery you will get this problem very time
options are adjust charger output volts or use the open source to adjust the v max

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
That is over the max volts for a 48v tsdz2 will be a problem starts to whinge over 53v if you fully charge the battery you will get this problem very time
options are adjust charger output volts or use the open source to adjust the v max
If I could find a proper guide to the installation of the OSF, I would try and install it.
Trouble is the instructions are all over the place and disjointed, and it looks like you need things like a boot-loader to flash the memory on the displays, and a STV programmer for the motor. Sounds like a large investment to produce a possible TS brick........
Seems crazy that its a 48v motor but you can not use a fully charged 48v battery without modifying the charging current output. Especially when I use the same battery on my BBS02b which works with no issues voltage wise. I like the TSDZ2 concept, but its got a lot of issues out of the box!

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Only in recent batches it seems to be getting worse :mad:stopped fitting :eek:have gone back to Bafang
Only have the chopper left and that has been the best build with a tsdz2 ,because i ordered a 120mm bb kit to go on a 100mm no chain line or pedal arm problems this time and came from china direct from a new supplier

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Only in recent batches it seems to be getting worse :mad:stopped fitting :eek:have gone back to Bafang
Only have the chopper left and that has been the best build with a tsdz2 ,because i ordered a 120mm bb kit to go on a 100mm no chain line or pedal arm problems this time and came from china direct from a new supplier
Have to agree Peter, this is my first TS build, after three Bafangs.
Whilst I like the torque sensor for a bit more of a workout compared to the Bafang's total assist, they seem to be delivered with gremlins:oops:. Another plus for the Bafang is £15 - £20 on a lead and you can program the unit to your requirements though a GUI windows interface..... Not so with the TS, al that hexadecimal multi interface brick making malarky o_O