Help! TSDZ2 - What does assist ratio / power setting in VLCD5 hidden menu change?

thomas33

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2019
There is this hidden menu in VLCD5 display controller which comes together in kit with TSDZ2 mid motor. I can set wheel size, speed limit, etc... there. And there is that Assist level/power setting - symbol "A" in the settings menu which can have value from 1 to 32. What does this mean? To be honest I am not sure what exactly it controls. Default value there is 16. My wife uses the bike with TSDZ2 and she complained it "does not work". She had to develop quite a lot of torque to start the motor helping even in boost level setting. Then I changed it from 16 to 32 and it started to respond very rapidly. For me it seems like it is some kind of ratio of foot torque/motor assist - the larger number set the lower torque needs to be developed on pedals to make the motor helping.
It is very badly documented in PDFs I found on internet. Or is this setting limit of amperes the motor can sink?

If it is amperes limit - I am afraid I would damage the battery when using on level 32 which has these rates (36V 10Ah, 250W TSDZ2):
Continuous discharge current: 18A
Pulse/Max discharge current 36A

Anyone can help me sort this out?

2019-03-31_09-08.png

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Ray,

That is the sensitivity of the torque sensor.
where did you buy your TSDZ2?

thomas33

Mar 31, 2019
Ok, so I'll not fry the motor at level 32.

I bought this kit on pswpower as they had Germany stock so no custom fee, taxes, etc and the delivery took 5 days.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
your wife may be better off with a kit that runs on cadence sensor such as the Bafang BBS01B. PSWPower sell both, ask them if you could exchange the TSDZ2 for the BBS01B.

thomas33

Mar 31, 2019
It is too late to exchange it. But on that setting I mentioned above, it is fine for her.