Tubeless mountain bike set up on the cheap

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nutella

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2016
USA
I ran ghetto tubeless for years, it works, but considering how cheap it is to do it right, I'd recommend that instead, it's easier in the long run.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I ran ghetto tubeless for years, it works, but considering how cheap it is to do it right, I'd recommend that instead, it's easier in the long run.
Exactly, there is no point.

You still need to buy two tubes, so why not just buy the correct rim tape and valves in the first place. The saving of a few pounds on what is a compromise and bodge job, just isn't worth it.

motomech

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2016
Tucson Az.
Actually, the "Tubeless kit" is quite pricey.
I have done a lot of these and have modified the procedure along the way.
Key points are;
1) Make sure your 20" tube is a threaded Schrader type.
2)Instead of a rim strap, I use double-sided sticky foam tape. This takes up some of the clearance and makes the initional inflation a lot easier if no compressor is handy.
3)When levering the tire over the donor tube, place the tire iron under the donor tube, between it and the bare rim(I know, duh).
4)When inflating the tire the first time, glue the tire bead to the donor tube w/ rubber cement. This is done to help keep a flat from breaking off the bead if the rider is slow on the uptake(like me)and rides a little too long on it flat. It also helps to keep from "knocking" the tire off the bead when off-road riding.
5)After the glue is dry, add the sealant thru the valve.
Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can be if you go down the route of new TL ready rims and tyres as well as sealant.

Related Articles

Advertisers