Tuning Question

Robb9771

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2014
Hi, I have a Bosch motored Haibike with a dongle - Its reasonably fast but I want to use it off road as a pace vehicle for cyclists so it needs to be able to hit 32-34 mph without massive effort. Is it possible to get any more out of the existing motor or is it possible to have a hub motor that will kick in at 28mph and take it to 34mph for short periods on a throttle.

D

Deleted member 4366

How far do you need to go at that speed? The Bosch motor can normally take you to about 28 mph, so above that speed, the hub-motor would be on its own. If you could get the Bosch to give good power up to 34 mph by raising the gearing, then a 36v 328 rpm Q100 at 48v might just do it. The motor, controller and throttle would be easy enough to fit, but you have to find somewhere for the battery. If it's only for short distances, a 5aH 13S lipo pack could be strapped on somewhere and wouldn't add too much weigh - about 4.5kg for the whole kit.

Robb9771

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2014
At max speed probably only 2 or 3 miles - I have two 400ah bosch batteries as I always carry a spare, could that be used ? Im not sure how I could increase the gearing as I'm currently running a 44 ring on an 11/27 cassette

D

Deleted member 4366

No, they don't have enough volts to spin a hub-motor fast enough. You need 48v (at least), and the battery also needs to be able to give a continuous 15A or more.

C

Cyclezee

I'm pretty sure that an eZee 300 or 350rpm hub motor with 48V battery would do it, but with all the extra weight of the existing Haibike setup you might be better to have a separate bike for this task.

Advertisers