Twist n Go

BarleyRiser

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
Trowbridge
I'm new to electric bikes and slightly confused by some terms used. I've tried to make sure that reviews etc, I've read are recent, after the 2016(?) changes. The Pedibal Navigata CitE looks good. I read a review from The Guardian from late 2017 and it said nothing about problems, but the term 'Twist n Go' to 15.5mph got me worried. The firm says "we can confirm our Navigata confirms to CE & UK requirements are certified with the DVSA in relation to our 'Twist n Go' throttle specification" and "we can confirm the Navigata is not classed as a motor vehicle and does not require insurance"

Does this mean all is ok?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It does look a bit suspicious. The throttle rules are very confusing though so maybe it is OK, but doesn't match my (limited) understanding of the rules.

In any case, also look at https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta. A little cheaper. Much larger capacity battery, well recommended company for customer service. I haven't compared details. Beware 'up to' ranges (eg on the Pedibal), those are in ideal conditions, real ranges are 1/2 or even 1/3 of quoted 'up to' ranges.

BarleyRiser

Jan 16, 2021
Trowbridge
Thanks. Agree wholeheartedly about 'up to'. This applies even more in your recommendation where it says it's good for "5'10" or taller riders"! No help to me as 8' is taller, but presumably not good. If they mean up to 6'6" or similar it would help. Any ideas about maximum height?

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Why would the DVSA certify it if its not a motor vehicle? In any case, its the Vehicle Certification Agency that decides what is a motor vehicle and requires type approval, and what is not - that is not what the DVSA do at all, so they're talking out their arrises.

The spiel is meaningless, pure flannel, and the description is vague as to exactly how the throttle functions - if it only provides assistance to a pedalling rider then its legal, if it powers the bike on its one then its very naughty. However, the description is so non specific it is difficult to be certain which it has.

Get it wrong and their spiel won't save you in Court - it may act as mitigation, but it won't be a defence. From the deceitful comments about how the DVSA 'certify' their product I wouldn't trust them to lie straight in bed. It's your call, but my inclination would definitely be to avoid.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some bikes can have a legal T&G throttle if the bike in all other aspects conforms with pedelec law, it has to been certified by a test station on a bike for bike case. Wisper use to charge extra for the legal use of fitting one and having it certified by a testing station, I believe the only one was in Southampton.

Any issue with plod and it's use is legalised by having ownership of said certificate.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: gsm.terra

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Some bikes can have a legal T&G throttle if the bike in all other aspects conforms with pedelec law, it has to been certified by a test station on a bike for bike case. Wisper use to charge extra for the legal use of fitting one and having it certified by a testing station, I believe the only one was in Southampton.

Any issue with plod and it's use is legalised by having ownership of said certificate.
We still offer this service.

All the best, David

Reactions: gsm.terra and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also if the throttle is configured as pedal first, it isn't a twist and go from a standing start which is why they wee banned as they were no different from a moped.

The DVSA route legalises their use having been vetted and approved for use.

Spartacus

Feb 2, 2018
Newark
HI I have a twist and go bike. unknown make. will post some photos soon asap. The only problem with this setup is, when i walk it through my garden gate if i dont take care whilst holding the throttle the bike lunges forward, like a strong bulldog on a leash, dragging me with it. So my advice would be make sure you switch of the power before dismounting,Or you may be dismantled? Happy cycling. Regards Spartacus,

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
My bike has a throttle (3 mode bike), purchased prior to 2016, so 'grandfather right' apply. Anyone know how the law stands if you were to purchase one of these second-hand?

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm sure all such regulations apply to the bike and not the owner. You might want some documentation that it really is that old in case of issues in the future, but should be pretty easy to prove if it became necessary.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I'm sure all such regulations apply to the bike and not the owner. You might want some documentation that it really is that old in case of issues in the future, but should be pretty easy to prove if it became necessary.
I have the receipt for my bike, so no issues proving how old it is. It was just a general question for others who may read the thread.

BarleyRiser

Jan 16, 2021
Trowbridge
It does look a bit suspicious. The throttle rules are very confusing though so maybe it is OK, but doesn't match my (limited) understanding of the rules.

In any case, also look at https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta. A little cheaper. Much larger capacity battery, well recommended company for customer service. I haven't compared details. Beware 'up to' ranges (eg on the Pedibal), those are in ideal conditions, real ranges are 1/2 or even 1/3 of quoted 'up to' ranges.
The Woosh website says:
"The Rambletta has throttle control and pedal assist."
What's the difference?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Woosh website says:
"The Rambletta has throttle control and pedal assist."
What's the difference?
The real answer is 'I don't really know.'

A partial answer (my understanding and possibly just plain wrong) is that on the Woosh you have to pedal a bit before the throttle will work, and then every now and then to keep it working. That may or may not be the case with the Pedibal Navigata CitE.

Woosh may be able to clarify/correct that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To comply with UK law one can't have a twist n go throttle or a thumb n go throttle only input.
One is allowed as a walk along at 6kmh or approx. 4mph.
However one can have a working throttle to 15.5mph if it is activated only after one has pedalled, once the throttle is released one again has to pedal.