Tyre advice please

hankhill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 15, 2016
London
I bought a Raleigh Motus this summer, for leisure cycling on tow paths, etc. Now that winter is here and the paths are muddy, it’s sliding all over the place on the standard CST Zeppelin road tyres. The tyres are 700x40c on 622x19C rims. What are the largest/ widest/ chunkiest tyres that I could fit on these rims? I realise I should probably have bought a mountain bike not a tourer like the Motus, but it was too good a deal to miss. Any guidance will be most welcome.

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
You may just have to be wary of the clearance on mudguards, fork bridge etc - just check before buying as the Zeppelins have quite rounded profile and no knobblies

hankhill

Jul 15, 2016
London
Thanks, they look ideal. I will check the clearance as the mudguards are pretty snug, and the rear one carries wiring for the built in lights.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The rims on one of our bikes are 700 x 19 front and 700 x 21 rear which were both originally fitted with 700 x 45c tyres, only okay for tarmac.
I've fitted continental cross king 29 x 2.2 which has improved the grip in the way you wish.
I had to fit wider mudguards and make sure there was enough frame clearance taking into consideration that the tyres are not only wider but taller as well.
tyre sizes and rim fittings are a bit of a minefield and took me a lot of research to get right, this chart may be helpful
Different brands of tyre even of the same size inflate differently but I could let you know the inflated width and height on the 19mm rim if you wish
Dave.

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
I use Schwalbe Land Cruiser's on a full suspension converted emtb as I ride on both road and tracks, they are good enough off road and great on road and come in a range widths.

hankhill

Jul 15, 2016
London
I'd like to go a bit wider than 40 if I can get away with it, partly in the hope of a softer ride. Dave, can I take you upon your offer to measure yours? That would be much appreciated.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I'd like to go a bit wider than 40 if I can get away with it, partly in the hope of a softer ride. Dave, can I take you upon your offer to measure yours? That would be much appreciated.
The tyres on the 19 rim measure 54mm high from the outer edge of the rim and 55 mm wide across the tyre at the level of the outer tread "knobles" when inflated to 34psi.
Dave.

hankhill

Jul 15, 2016
London
Thaks for the info Dave, I ran a tape measure and I think that would be pushing my luck. I don't really want to have to re-engineer the mudguards as it's a pretty much brand new bike. I'm gonna go with the Smart Sam 700x40c. Thanks all!

Reactions: D C