Tyre pressure -maximum

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
I see that some people inflate their tyres to as high as 85 psi !! - the manual on my Ezee Sprint says 40 psi. I'm aware of the importance of weekly checking tyre pressure and keeing it as it should be for maximum benefit, however, what would happen if I inflate them to a higher psi - would I get more range from my battery - or would this raise the risk of punctures?

Thanks
Jeanette

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
I see that some people inflate their tyres to as high as 85 psi !! - the manual on my Ezee Sprint says 40 psi. I'm aware of the importance of weekly checking tyre pressure and keeing it as it should be for maximum benefit, however, what would happen if I inflate them to a higher psi - would I get more range from my battery - or would this raise the risk of punctures?

Thanks
Jeanette
Hi Jeanette,

On the tyre wall will be a series of numbers relating to the tyre size and pressure range for that make of tyre. Yours will probably be something like 26x1.95 (26 inch tyre by 1.95 inches thick) and then 40-65 PSI. Don't inflate the tyre anymore than the recommended highest PSI or you could risk a blow-out. I usually always inflate my tyres to near the top end of the range - my lightweight hybrid bike is 85 PSI and my Agattu is 75 PSI. Remember that the higher PSI will give better free rolling, but a harsher ride. Lower PSI will give a softer ride but with worse free-rolling. Higher PSI on your Sprint tyres might extend your range marginally, but not by very much.

Last edited:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I don't know about ebikes, as I have only had mine just over 12 months.
However, I have always inflated my mountain bike tyres 5psi below the recommended maximum. I am doing the same with my ebike. My tyre markings say 55psi so I run mine at 50psi. Check it weekly.
I can't say it has stopped me having punchers but I think the last one I had was about 15 years ago.
Running at a lower pressure will eventually damage the tyre wall (walls crack). It's not a good idea to run at low pressure for years and then suddenly increase the pressure, this can cause blowouts.
I have had tyres last 10 to 13 years (used on and off road) - so I get my moneys worth out of them ;)

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hello Jeanette,

the maximum pressure is determined by the tyre rather than the bike it's fitted to and the usable pressure range will be marked on the tyre sidewall (Not always clearly!). On my own Sprint it is 40-65 psi while on my Torq the maximum is 85 psi. Higher pressure does in theory mean less resistance and greater range and I do tend to run my tyres at or near the maximum with that in mind, it also makes the tyre more rigid which improves handling but leads to a rougher ride on less than perfect roads.

Talking of less than perfect roads do you recognize the location of the photo below? Having seen your location on the Pedelecs Map I realised it was taken very close to your home.

PS. Apologies to Citrus for repeating your advice but I had to get my photo in somehow.;)

Last edited:

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007

PS. Apologies to Citrus for repeating your advice but I had to get my photo in somehow.;)
No problem. Did you climb that 33% on your Torq:eek: I thought Torq's weren't reknowned for their hillclimbing...:confused:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
The bike got up the hill under its own power OK Citrus, but with me walking beside it, partially being pulled by the bike.

As I came up I met a postman coming down the hill on a heavily laden unpowered post bike, and the only other way out of the valley was a similar hill on the other side!

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Dear Ian,

Nice picture !! - thanks for your reply - I think I'll keep my tyres just a little above minumum, perhaps at 45 instead of 40 as I seem to have managed well at 40 for the past year - don't want to increase my risk of a puncture too much.

As for your question "where were you?" - could it be somewhere between St Agnes and Perranporth, possibly close to Blue Hills, Trevellas? To be honest there are many places that look like your picture - great to see your picture - looks like you had good weather for your trip.

Jeanette
:) :)

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Spot on with the location Jeanette, it's the top of the Blue Hills. It was last June and while the weather in Cornwall was nice much of the country was flooded.. lets hope for a better summer this year.:)

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Wow ! - that's made my day - I'd been thinking about your picture during the day at work - I know that hill very well and my Sprint will climb up it, however, I certainly do not make a habit of using that route -neither up, nor down!

I'm glad you had a good break in Cornwall. I live down in Trevaunance Cove, St Agnes' beach, I can see Blue Hills from my window.

Kind regards
Jeanette

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
There's some great cycling to be had in Cornwall, at least outside of the main holiday season. I expect the roads get unpleasantly busy during July and August but last June was very quite, I saw few other cyclists and no-one else with an electric.