tyre pressures

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
whats best tyre pressure as I have bmx tyres on my electric bike and was told 60 PSI but i noticed on front tyre which is a 24 x 1.75 40 PSI so is it best to have whats printed on tyre or 60 and is that bck too at 40 if its same as front

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
whats best tyre pressure as I have bmx tyres on my electric bike and was told 60 PSI but i noticed on front tyre which is a 24 x 1.75 40 PSI so is it best to have whats printed on tyre or 60 and is that bck too at 40 if its same as front
I am not a bike tyre expert, so I generally use about 80% of what is marked on the tyre myself.
I certainly would never use more than the marked value....its seems almost as hard as a rock at that reduced pressure! :)
I have cheap Chinese made tyres that came on the bike, they do grip well, wear slowly and are good in mud!
Thats enough for me personally!!
Andy

• Agree

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I am not a bike tyre expert, so I generally use about 80% of what is marked on the tyre myself.
I certainly would never use more than the marked value....its seems almost as hard as a rock at that reduced pressure! :)
I have cheap Chinese made tyres that came on the bike, they do grip well, wear slowly and are good in mud!
Thats enough for me personally!!
Andy
so 40 psi should be enough then as it does feel very hard at 60 psi

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so 40 psi should be enough then as it does feel very hard at 60 psi
40 psi will be the max that the tyre can take and it will still be rock hard, on my mtb i run about 26-30 psi

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Whatever the tyre pressure, ebikes will roll on regardless. You have BMX tyres fitted, but you're not using it as a BMX are you? They're too heavy to do stunts and all that jazz. :eek:

It all depends if you're using the bike for road use, off road, or variable terrain. Start high and reduce the air until it suits you personally. Ride comfort, road holding and braking are all effected by the amount of air you have in the tyres. Have fun. :)

Reactions: Andy-Mat

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
ok guys many thanks for all your help I will drop PSI to 40 on both tyres, as like i said it does feel a bit hard at 60 PSI.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You have BMX tyres fitted, but you're not using it as a BMX are you? They're too heavy to do stunts and all that jazz.
You've obviously never seen the Team Hybrid stunt team in action!

They used BMX bikes with big rear wheel Crystalite hub motors to leap about in demonstrations.

Their one concession to what that entailed was the batteries they had as back packs with pull off cable connectors.