Tyres! Again :)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
OK, I've now got the Tourer on Schwalbe marathon plus tyres and I've been thinking about the Typhoon. It's 29 * 2.1 and on the schwalbe site it looks like I need either smart sam or rocket ron tyres. I'm looking for a tyre with some puncture protection. Has anyone tried either of these? Or, is there better?

Reactions: Dubster

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have a Smart Sam Plus on the back of mine (same size) and its excellent.
Plenty of rough trails and no punctures yet.

Reactions: Dubster

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Same here, I have my Kalkhoff road bike on Schwalbe marathon plus and have never had a puncture. My Oxygen MTB came with Smart Sams on, they ride very well but just wish they were the plus version to get the puncture protection. I'll probably change the rear as that is the real pain whilst out riding.

eBoy

Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2014
Hi, Throttle Jockeys!

When I first got my little folder, I had several punctures in quick succession. So, from ASDA, I bought a pair of 20" Kevlar tyres (£12 each) and slime inner tubes (currently £5.50 each) and, carefully touching wood, I've not had a flat since (in around 3+ years). And I go all over the shop, on all terrains, and down the canal towpath a lot. Just a thought!

In fact I don't even carry my puncture outfit with me any more. I just borrow a £20 note from matron in case I need to get a taxi back! LOL!

Johnny

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Thought I'd add that bikeart at Thetford forest seem to equip all of their bikes with Smart Sams, didn't look close enough to we if they were pluses, by when a commercial hire company which says they'd will come out and find you to repair any punctures in the unlikely event of getting one put those tyres on, I'd say that's another big plus as they don't want to be getting poor reviews for continual punctures on their bikes.
For some reason my cube reaction is arriving with 2 different types of types on - go figure. I suspect its an inferior/cheaper one on the front and a grippier one on the rear drive wheel.
James

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Hi, Throttle Jockeys!

When I first got my little folder, I had several punctures in quick succession. So, from ASDA, I bought a pair of 20" Kevlar tyres (£12 each) and slime inner tubes (currently £5.50 each) and, carefully touching wood, I've not had a flat since (in around 3+ years). And I go all over the shop, on all terrains, and down the canal towpath a lot. Just a thought!

In fact I don't even carry my puncture outfit with me any more. I just borrow a £20 note from matron in case I need to get a taxi back! LOL!

Johnny
Careful you don't get too cocky Johnny,
I do something similar, but I got a puncture in my marathon pluses for the first time in 18 months recently, except it wasn't. It was a pinch failure where the rim tape had worn. Keep an eye on it! The failure before that was not so much a puncture as a total blowout, tyre blown off and inner tube totally shredded, I think that might have been a pinch failure too!

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've ordered a smart Sam plus which I'll stick on the back. If it's OK I'll get one for the front. Cheers all.

Reactions: Kinninvie

eBoy

Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2014
Careful you don't get too cocky Johnny,
I do something similar, but I got a puncture in my marathon pluses for the first time in 18 months recently, except it wasn't. It was a pinch failure where the rim tape had worn. Keep an eye on it! The failure before that was not so much a puncture as a total blowout, tyre blown off and inner tube totally shredded, I think that might have been a pinch failure too!
Tee hee, JamesW, you're perfectly right, I may be getting too complacent! And I will keep a lookout for pinches, thanks.

For a couple of years I rattled around with a little handlebar-bag, stuffed with tools, mini-pump, puncture outfit and a Cobra inner tube. Then I thought, as it's a little folding bike, I could simply hail a taxi for me and the bike. Lazy, or what!

Those snaky Cobra open-ended inner tubes are a doddle to fit, and must be a godsend if you need to replace a rear motor-wheel inner tube in the wilderness!

JOKETIME! How do we know Moses had a driving-licence? Because he came down the mountain in his triumph.

Keep kool, dudes!

Johnny

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tee hee, JamesW, you're perfectly right, I may be getting too complacent! And I will keep a lookout for pinches, thanks.

For a couple of years I rattled around with a little handlebar-bag, stuffed with tools, mini-pump, puncture outfit and a Cobra inner tube. Then I thought, as it's a little folding bike, I could simply hail a taxi for me and the bike. Lazy, or what!

Those snaky Cobra open-ended inner tubes are a doddle to fit, and must be a godsend if you need to replace a rear motor-wheel inner tube in the wilderness!

JOKETIME! How do we know Moses had a driving-licence? Because he came down the mountain in his triumph.

Keep kool, dudes!

Johnny
No No No !!! It was David who had the motor bike because after he defeated Goliath you could here the roar of his triumph.

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Only ever used Marathon Plus on my Kudos Typhoon - never had a puncture...fingers crossed

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nobby Nic's work for me off road not yet had any issues on all types of surface from stone track to forest, bridle ways, footpaths, tree roots etc etc.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Only ever used Marathon Plus on my Kudos Typhoon - never had a puncture...fingers crossed
I looked for marathon plus but couldn't find them in the correct size for the Typhoon. What size dud you get?