Wisper Tyres

Lizt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2020
I would like to change my rear tyre on my 806T for a Schwalbe Marathon plus. There is a 1.75 or a 2.0. Which would be more appropriate? I also do not want to lose any stability so am not sure if this is the best Schwalbe tyre for me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Measure the max width between the rear stays, this will tell you the max size that will fit tightly so allow tyre clearance of 5mm. 1.75 = 1.3/4", 2.0 is 2".

Reactions: Lizt

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They're very hard rubber, so my senses tell me that the smaller size might get more grip. The bigger size would be more comfortable, though heavier. Comfort is no problem on my bike because I have air suspension front and rear. I have 1.75 front and rear.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Once you decide on size look at the marathon original greenguard tyres as an alternative to marathon plus as they are lighter, have much less rolling resistance and are almost as puncture proof. Level 5 protection. Have fitted both and the originals seem smoother and grippier and cheaper.

Lizt

Jun 14, 2020
Thank you both. I have been looking at the new Schwalbe marathon plus for e bikes. I am trying to find out if they are available for 20” wheels.
They sound ideal but expensive.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They exist. MPs typically cost around £25 if you shop carefully. Halfords ad SJS often have good prices.
but showing as out of stock there.

Lizt

Jun 14, 2020
They exist. MPs typically cost around £25 if you shop carefully. Halfords ad SJS often have good prices.
Thank you. I was thinking more of the e plus which is specifically for e bikes. Also the 2.0 in. I am a totally newbie to all this but I was assuming that a wider tyre would be more stable and grippy thus minimising the possibility of falling off in a skid.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think you'll find the standard MP (or MP Tour) is fine for most e-bike riding.

The weakest point on the MPs is that they are not very good at sideways grip. A wider one (at lower pressure) might be better if it does exist.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you. I was thinking more of the e plus which is specifically for e bikes. Also the 2.0 in. I am a totally newbie to all this but I was assuming that a wider tyre would be more stable and grippy thus minimising the possibility of falling off in a skid.
It's not as simple as that. Tyres get grip above the coefficient of linear friction in two ways. Firstly, they use the stick-slip principle, where the molecules that are in contact with the surface stick, then get stretched up to a point that they let go, then restick. This stretching converts kinetic energy into heat. It affects the rolling resistance as well as grip, which is one reason that tyres with good rolling resistance have low grip.

Secondly, the rubber deforms arround the surface irregularities to lock onto them - more like gears meshing than something rolling on a flat surface.

For both of those to be effective, you need the correct contact pressure for the hardness of the rubber. A wider tyre has less contact pressure than a narrower one. Harder rubber needs a higher contact pressure.

A wider tyre has a bigger surface to stick-slip to and deform around, but it has less force on each small part causing that effect, so to keep its effect and get the advantage of its extra width, it would need to be made of softer rubber.

Anybody that ever rode one of those MZ motorbikes with the original Pneumant tyres will know about all this otherwise they probably wouldn't have lived to tell the tale.

Last edited:

Lizt

Jun 14, 2020
Gosh I am impressed by your knowledge. This could complicate matters but maybe 0.5 mm extra might not effect grip too much except of course it is a harder tyre. I have been advised that going for a narrower tyre on an 806 would not be a good idea but marathon pluses are now sold as e bike ready so might not have to wait for the e plus in 20 in.

Advertisers