Uk/European Union Suppliers for Q100H front wheel ?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
The motor on my "everyday" shopping ebike seems to be getting more whiney, or else I'm getting used to the quietness of my BMS supplied Q100 on the folder and the cassette motor from Dave on my mountain bike.

I originally converted it 3 years ago with an ebay kit with a nameless 250w 36v geared brushless motor in a 700c front wheel.

I upgraded the simple controller to a BMS S06S and now I'm very tempted to buy a Q100H 201rpm 36v motor in a 700c front wheel. I just checked the BMS site and they're a very reasonable $100.18, but the cheapest shipping adds another $158.06, bringing the total up to $258.24, which could then attract a hefty customs and vat duty, which I always seem to get stung with.

I was wondering if any of the increasing number of UK suppliers of DIY parts stock these now ?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Q100H only comes in 260 rpm flavour, doesn't it?
If it's the normal 201 rpm Q100 you want, check out Greenbikekit.com and Elifebike.com. They both sell them under a different designation, and their shipping costs are less than BMSB.

I have a bare 201 rpm one that I would sell. If you come to the Bristol show, I've also got a 328 rpm one in a 700C wheel. You could swap the cores. I don't really want to post the wheel because it takes hours to find/make a suitable box and pack it. It's also above the size for the cheap couriers.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
They do seem to list a Q100H in 201rpm Dave, at http://www.bmsbattery.com/ebike-kits/632-250w350w-q-85100sx-motor-e-bike-kit.html.for $100.18.

Thanks for the offer of your one, but unfortunately Bristol is 250 miles away from me, and I'm not much of a traveller these days, (let alone popping over to China, as you do !) I quite understand your point about the awkwardness of packaging a wheel though.

I've had a quick look through the two websites but couldn't find any motors built into wheels ?

The bare Q100H 201rpm 36v motor hub from BMS is $79 plus $63.06 postage, making $142 or £85, which is very attractive, and the customs and vat if levied wouldn't sting so much.

I do have a wheel building stand and the 700c rim on my existing 250w noisy motor. If I could be sure of getting the right spoke lengths I guess I could have a bash at it, (bad choice of words maybe !)

Which 350w motor do you think would be the quietest, the Q100, the Q100H, or the Bafang BPM2 36v350w ? BMS have them (bare) for $120.

You mentioned 260rpm, which would be best for me with 36v 350w in a 700c wheel ? It's fairly flat here in Norfolk, but I'm a heavy bloke, just under 95kg....

D

Deleted member 4366

IMHO 260 rpm in a 700c wheel.. The BPM would be the quietest motor, but it's a lot heavier and needs a strong battery and strong forks.

I think it's time to practice your wheel-building. You can use 14g spokes with a Q100H, which will reduce the weight, and they're readily available on Ebay for not much money. Once you've de-spoked your old wheel, measure the inside diameter in two directions. If you post the results here, we'll be able to help you with spoke lengths.

I don't know what they changed in the Q100H to make it "higher torque". It doesn't feel any different to the normal Q100 apart from the higher winding speed. Maybe they increased the grade of the magnets. Perhaps it can run better at higher amps. It certainly doesn't give 30% extra torque with the same 15 amp controller.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I think I'd like to go for the BPM then, the main object being to get the quietest motor. I think the forks are OK, and I have a torque arm now. My 36 volt battery is the 10ah lithium ion, is that strong enough ?

Here's my Alubike conversion, the ergonomics are great for utility use, full suspension and low step through frame. It's lighter than it looks, and the narrow 700c wheels roll easily. The 7 speed Sram hub gear makes changing a doddle, even when stationary.

The other photo is me testing my amphib bike this afternoon, I'm leaving that human powered though, it's heavy enough with just me on it !

alubike.jpg riding on water.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

10aH 36v is not really enough for a BPM. You need at least 15aH unless you get a battery with high-discharge cells.

Nice wet-bike. What are you going to do with it?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
It's back to the Q100 then, despite the amazing small size it seems so quiet on my 20" wheel, (and that's the 328rpm version too.
What would be the top speed of your 201rpm in a 700c wheel at 36 volts ?

My wet bike is very handy up here on the Norfolk Broads. I can cycle to a spot along the river, then get the floats and frame out of the pannier bags, do a few miles on the river, then convert back to bike and ride home. Unlike canals, many of the Broadland rivers have no bank side footpaths.